4 GB RAM or 8GB RAM ?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by customer548, Mar 13, 2014.

1. customer548

Hi,
    My computer is running on Windows7,an i5. I have 4 GB RAM G-Skill. This game recommends using 8 GB RAM.
    I'd like to know if buying another 4 GB RAM in order to reach 8GB would really worth it. What would it be supposed to change in my gameplay experience?

Better Fps? i'm usually at 59 Fps but have drops to 30.
    Better Graphs? i'm actually running at Medium details,with low shades.
    Better performances? i don't really know if it's because of lag or because of my computer,but i have randomly have massive slow downs each 45minutes-1 hour.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Artifex78

This most likely. I assume your Windows is 64 Bit. You probably run out of memory after ~45mins and Windows is paging out RAM to your harddrive, hence the massive slow down (this would be less noticable with a SSD). More RAM will prevent this. Furthermore, SOE is working on a x64 client. That's were the real fun starts.
    • Up x 1
  3. noobindo

First of all, you use Win7 or Win7x64?
    Adding more ram resulting in increasing address space. Sometime app needs a contiguous memory block of a certain size. The more memory, the greater the chance that the system will allocate a block immediately. Also, system able to allocate more memory to all apps at a time. This reduce lags.
    Now memory is very cheap. And it is never too much.
  4. customer548

I do use win7 64.
  5. Nanomorph

The more the merrier.
  6. NovaAustralis

I used to have 3.25 GB RAM before I upgraded and I could barely run PS2.
    After upgrade had 8 GB RAM, but much faster CPU and GPU.
    I then got 16 GB RAM and didn't notice any difference...
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...side-2-system-specs.46998/page-16#post-988302

I reckon once you are past 8 GB RAM, the PS2 poor optimisation limits you, and you are then relying heavily on your CPU and GPU being beastly.
    (Multi-core / multi-threading, etc... still a WiP for PS2... :rolleyes: )
  7. noobindo

This is because there is no apps capable to fill even 8GB.
    • Up x 1
  8. Artifex78

From a normal consumer perspective your statement is true. But there is professional software with high demand of RAM (development, sound, graphics, databases, even 64 Bit Excel).

Yes, I am a bean counter ;p
    • Up x 1
  9. LordMondando

Which comes down largely to the fact that PS2 will be limited to about 1.9gig on a 4 gig system, as windows will take up a sizable chunck and the final bit will be reserved just in case the PC needs to do anything else.

Moving up to 8gig greatly expands the amount of RAM PS2 can access, and so cuts out a lot of the paging from the HD.

It's got nothing to do with 'optmisation'. Converting to 64 bit also won't change much. Simple fact of the matter is that 16 gig is massively excessive for a single game (and even if you run many games at once, sure the ram will be where relevant data goes, but its not going to make your CPU have greater throughput). Filling the ram with any more information would not necessarily make it run faster (as you'd just be transiting more information back and forth from the primary memory aka ram). Indeed, the larger the data structure is your operating on, the slower the program will operate necessarily. Having 16gig is good if your data strucutre for the task is going to be massive anyway. But you don't want a game going over 3-4gig as the amount of processing then to keep the world coherent is still going to be massive.

If you don't do loads of graphical editing, video editing modeling etc and you got 16 gig, you goofed big time.

Its not a case of MOAR=BETTER and any deviation from this is the programmers ******* up.
  10. NovaAustralis

Yeah, I know.
    I probably didn't word that well.
    I did mean that once you are over 8 GB RAM, you aren't gaining much more from your RAM for running PS2.
    (But more RAM certainly helps with CAD programs, multiple tasks, etc... though.)

Because of the optimisation and just because PS2 is a 3D FPS, a beastly GPU and CPU will always be preferable.

It's still a pity that multi-core / multi-threading isn't fully supported...
    (or did they fix that?)
  11. JudgeNu

You can never have too much RAM.
    Get all you can get.
  12. LordMondando

Yeap.

Well.. CPU can't do anything without RAM.

Hmm its significantly improved. My fx8350 performs much better these days.
    • Up x 1
  13. pirunyan

Planetside 2 uses about 3-3.5GB memory for me, at least after playing for an hour. Go with 8GB or more. Personally I'd go with more.
    • Up x 1