(NC) Longshot VS Railjack

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Copain, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Copain

So I haven't played for ahwile, decided to come back and check the game out. I notice the NC now have another Super Long Range Sniper by the name of "Railjack".. Using the in game comparison system, it appears that the Railjack is more damage with the same range and a faster projectile, is there any reason for me not to use this over the Longshot other then conserving certs/money?
  2. Plague Rat

There's a .2 second delay from the time you click the mouse until the railjack fires. This is an intentional feature to offset the velocity. Make sure this feels okay to you before you consider buying it.

Some people did the math and figured that because of the delay the Longshot's bullet will hit the target first from the time you click the mouse out to 300m. But if you can trace your lead when the railjack does fire, the bullet will get there crazy fast.

You'll either love it or you'll hate it. Spend some time in VR and trial it to find out which before you throw money or certs at it.
  3. DrankTHEKoolaid

Personally I'd go Longshot and not think twice, especially if you snipe on the move and stay within or around 200 meters. The Railjacks only upside IMO is that at extreme ranges you will have less drop to account for. It's more suited for a stationary sniper who stays at max range.
    • Up x 1
  4. Crayv

So far I actually like the Railjack. The fire delay is noticable but you can correct your aim during that delay while with the Longshot; you are going to miss.

Oh and the Railjack hits really hard, meaning you have a better chance of killing a wounded target.
  5. DrankTHEKoolaid

People keep bringing up that you can correct your aim during the delay, but I just can't buy it. At least not that anyone is doing it consistently. I would love to see some sort of montage of experienced Railjack users doing this on a regular basis. .2 seconds is fast enough to make this almost impossible, but long enough to counteract the velocity. Less drop is the only argument for the Railjack is the only argument I'll consider until someone can truly prove me wrong.
    • Up x 3
  6. minhalexus

I would like to Railjack to have a charge up like the VS phaseshift.

Basically its a longer charge up, and you need to load up the first two bars BUT you have about 2 seconds of freedom to choose when to fire instantaneously on the third bar.
  7. Plague Rat

I think the whole balancing point of the delay is that you can't control it, that it's there specifically to screw up your lead and offset the benefit of velocity. So I think if they were going to implement a charge mechanic, you wouldn't be able to hold it once it hits it's peak.

It's an interesting idea though.

What if you could fire the Railjack normally like any other rifle at a more standard velocity, but you can hold the trigger to overcharge the capacitor, steadily increasing the velocity over a second or so. When it hit's it's peak It will fire (to prevent the capacitor from burning out or whatever, no dirty magic vanu batteries here) but you can release the trigger at any time before that for whatever percentage velocity boost you charged.

Something like that might give a player more control while maintaining the skill check the devs seem intent on preserving.
    • Up x 1
  8. lilleAllan

Longshot, no doubt.

Faster refire rate, faster reload, bigger clip, no delay, less visible bullet trail, more versatility.

The Railjack is mainly for high level/bored players imo.
  9. Skeith

i actually do drank once mastered the delay helps leading your bullets into moving targets

granted i would have preferred if this rifle would have some cool mechanic like the other 2 but imo it's a beast
  10. Baccano

If you do that's cool but if your pulling your trigger while not properly leading or on the target and then having to correct in .2 sec, that's a self aiming problem. Good snipers don't really have a problem of pulling the trigger before they are ready to place an accurate bullet down range.

Also for people saying the RailJack's bullet gets to it's target crazy fast (Once it leaves the barrel). Not a disparagement on the comment just a disagreement.

The numbers assuming both bullets leave the barrel at the same time:

Range_____Longshot 650m/s________________RailJack 850m/s_________Difference in time

50m_________ .07 sec _______________________ .05 sec _________________ .02 sec

100m________ .15 sec _______________________ .11 sec _________________ .04 sec

150m________ .23 sec _______________________ .17 sec _________________ .06 sec

200m________ .30 sec _______________________ .23 sec _________________ .07 sec

250m________ .38 sec _______________________ .29 sec _________________ .09 sec

300m________ .46 sec _______________________ .35 sec _________________ .11 sec

So what can we infer from this chart?

That even if the RailJack had No Trigger Delay.... (not advocating this because I would prefer a cool feature or reason to use, not just tier 4 rifle. Maybe faster chamber time or more ammo capacity or faster ads to make up for .2 sec uncloaked ADS time)

.... there is no way you are hitting your target with the RailJack that you would not have also hit your target with the Longshot after seeing the difference in time. Willing to make the hypothetical at the 300m mark only if your aim was only just barely going to hit your target then maybe the Railjack would do it in that slight, singular scenario.

As for the Click and Drag argument it's just a reverse of what you do with every other weapon eg. With the Longshot you Drag and then Click.

The added bonus here is I can do my dragging time while cloaked, pop my cloak just long enough to click, and then cloak back up thus making the shot seem to come from nowhere. I can also decide that if my target starts to act erratically not to take the shot instead of being committed and then not being able to take my target down thus possibly compromising my position on a shot that became not worth it to take. Something that separates advanced snipers from the average joe standing on a rock, tunnel visioned down his scope.

Now as for the "really hitting hard" part I guess really hitting hard in this case means 50 more dmg than a rifle that already does 700 dmg so....50 / 700 = .07 or 7% more dmg. So I guess in the rare instance your target got away with 7% health left yeah the RailJack would have gotten you the kill. Hmmm does that happen often?

Someone also mentioned the Drop Factor. The RailJack has faster bullet velocity so it must have less of a drop rate. Well yes except the drop rate doesn't significantly differ from the Longshot (significant in this context means have to adjust by at least half a mildot while using the 74 degree FoV).

Now where this becomes interesting is when you realize that the Longshot has no noticeable drop out to the 225m mark and only drops to the first mil dot at the 300m mark. So if you are having problems in this 75m range with judging drop that only has to be measured by one mildot I don't think you're going to see the difference.

My opinion about the RailJack is: it can get kills, it's a cool looking weapon model, and heck it even has a cute reload animation.

Ok now that the cold hard numbers and personal opinions are out of the way....

Let's help the OP out by answering his question "...is there any reason for me not to use this over the Longshot other then conserving certs/money?"

Answer is No! Until someone can show other numbers and or a situation where you can prove that the RailJack is superior enough to warrant the: Extra Chamber Time, .2 sec Unlcoaked ADS, Less Ammo Carrying Capacity the answer will remain:

No the RailJack is not worth the 1000 cert price tag over the other 1000 cert price tag Longshot or LA-80 (and is only marginally better in 2 slight areas than the default Bolt Driver)

Hope this answers your and other peoples' questions about whether this rifle is worth it's price tag.

- SideWinder
    • Up x 4
  11. Jogido

forget the numbers...just trial it

it has a learning curve for people use to the original bolt actions. Some like it, some don't
  12. biterwylie

The delay IMO makes this weapon useless. Yes I know that is a big statement, but the mechanic goes totally against the logic of good marksmanship/shooting.

There is not an army in the world that would order a rifle with an in built delay to firing. The Failjack is worse than any other NC bolt action. The tiny damage increase does not offset all the other real in game disadvantages the weapon has.

I can't imagine in any shooting discipline where a delay would be a benefit.

It is a great shame, it looks great (I wish this was the Longshot model) but is rubbish. Pretty sure that is why I was given a refund. Thanks SoE :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Nephi1im

So, you learn it and it's still almost as effective as what we already have? Seems legit.... People keep talking about accounting for the delay and such, but you can't account for jack **** when heads and bodies are coming from behind cover, AKA 90% of all sniper targets. As soon as you can telepathically know when someone is coming in to view, by all means, railjack away. Until then, you people either don't know what you're talking about or just really want to find something useful about this piece of garbage.
  14. Niller

It's hard to make those perfect last 0.2 second adjustments but no impossible. I have done it a few times, not really consistent though but if I practice more with it I could maybe put it to good use.
  15. Jogido

relax dude. Just don't buy it ^_^