Death Screen Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TorigomaSET, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Higby Developer

It's definitely been discussed, and its an option on the table, but it won't be this way for the initial release. I think the doom and gloom here is wildly overblown, but I'll be perfectly willing to admit I'm wrong if it turns out I am. It's all speculation at this point, even if it is extremely educated speculation amongst experts.

Although, I suspect after this goes live every time someone kills the person they were just killed by (which happens to me multiple times per play session already, on both ends of the equation) those deaths will all be 100% due to the noob minimap, have never occurred before, and will be taken as proof the game is fully dumbed down. Ah well.
    • Up x 8
  2. Gustavo M

3. Ronin Oni

lol'd

well played sir :cool:
  4. GoyoElGringo

Perhaps, but you seemed to miss a few points I made. Namely, that I think camping and farming are lame tactics, and that experienced players already know where they are being shot from.
  5. Higby Developer

By the way, here are some Rum Codes to distract everyone and derail the discussion, it works every time on ps2g so I hope it works here too! *crosses fingers*

PKPN-ACTR-PC7R-RMZH-FZRR
    R9EP-4END-RE2G-C9PR-3T43
    GA3K-AF23-GMVK-UP3P-RPX3
    GHA9-6TJC-7DZG-P3PF-E6N7
    37TA-RMXE-U3MG-JHEG-3ACG
    ZX3H-TNFF-92AA-A7Z6-CR93
    T6N7-9PDT-6RRP-XHP6-H96J
    KGFX-MKCM-X7R9-2XE3-FVM6
    UJR6-792N-RFF6-U42R-RPR3
    FZGG-PATP-CTCV-M6VM-RREH
    • Up x 4
  6. Godsmangamer

Not every advanced player has good situational awareness and they let their guard down at times like everyone else. There are those who gain higher levels with out going through the infantry battle field and when they step out into this different environment they are noobs there again.

The problem with the kill came as I have already posted is simply that it's a crutch or training wheels. Some of us are very annoyed with it because it takes away a great deal of the challenge/fun from the game.

Not knowing what killed you and discovering what it was and how it was done for me is part of the charm of the game. I joined last January and was drop poded in confused as all get out. I went and worked out how to build my character on my own for the most part eventually I joined a outfit but most of my current skills were all learned from researching how everything worked and experimenting in game.
    I know I am a exception but the point is the challenge/the possibilities in this game is the reason I stick with it.
    Don't please hand them a crutch or training wheels instead give them more knowledge about the battle field as has been proposed else were.
    If you decrease the challenge in the beginning of the game your taking away the reason for building community with outfits. This will likely result in less of a "hard core" "stay with you until the end" player base that many Outfits cultivate.

What for newer players would be very helpful is a expanded tutorial with general instructions on how each class currently operates and the counters to each play style. Along with the same instructions for vehicles.

I know that each server is different as to what advanced strategies are employed and how platoons work together or don't work together.

This server variability means that you will never be able to get a tutorial or in game system aside from the Outfits that is able to truly retain new players. This is a war game. In war things will be Chaotic, you will die from unexpected things.( ex: clamor in a really random spot)
    Please give them more knowledge about the battle field about how there weapons act( recoil) how to hit moving targets. by putting mobile targets in the tutorial and the vr training zone. to teach them how to actually hit things.

In a military organization you have to go through boot camp and tons of training before you even get close to a battle field. Your trying to replace that with a mini tutorial and dropping people on the front lines. It's insane out there, your going to get killed about every 5 minutes or less because that even happens to experienced players a great deal of the time. Knowledge about what they are facing is the main problem not the problems them selves.
    For me to really learn the game took months of getting sniped and trying to figure out the game bugs(cloak visibility) that disorient all levels of players from time to time.
    Please give outfits better tools to help new players. <- this more then anything else will increase retention. As to what tools the ability to post links to youtube vidios in game or some sort of tailored text tutorial for the server/outfit will work wonders. This is likely to be the only real way to build player retention.
    On a battle field if sent out alone a fresh recruit will be confused no matter how much information you provide. The only way to steady them is with the advanced knowledge of experienced players acting as mentors to help them find their way. This is the case in real life and also due to the size and inherent complexity of the game the case in planet side 2.
    I made it through by simple stubbornness but I realize not everyone can pull that.
    The "shock of battle" is a actual phenomenon in this game and there will always only be so much you can do to mitigate. If you take the shock of battle out of the game it will be a very casual game and devoid of the depth many players have come to embrace.
    • Up x 2
  7. Godsmangamer

I wish you luck:D
  8. HadesR

A better distraction would be to post the new ESSR stats so we can see if the Railjack is as bad as people think ..

Even better you could tell us that you are finally removing the bra and stockings from NC Infi's :)
    • Up x 2
  9. Higby Developer

Gotta talk to Tramell on that one...
    • Up x 3
  10. Wobberjockey

ok…

let's step back a bit.

so what you are saying is that what you feel should happen is this:
    if i kill someone and i wasn't spotted, they'll get a cone? no line at all?
    if i WAS spotted then there will be a line to my exact position.

so if i was 200m out with an unsilenced rifle, unspotted, will the be a line? i should have 'appeared on the minimap'
    25m out with a silenced weapon?
    25m out, unsilenced, but unsupressed? (i.e commissioner headshot on an infiltrator)
    • Up x 1
  11. Higby Developer

No, it has a maximum range of about 100m or so, after that the line will go off the edge of the minimap, even if you are spotted.

This is also the full spot, i.e. someone has looked at you and pressed Q, or you are dancing on top of a Motion Sensor (not a dart). The minimap blip for motion darts and firing are not considered spots for the sake of this system. Players appearing as an arrow (as opposed to a dot) on the minimap and who have a dorrito over their head when in LOS are considered spotted.

Depends on if you've been spotted

Depends on if you've been spotted
    • Up x 4
  12. HadesR

Not being a vehicle user i'm ignorant in this case but does Scout Radar act as " spotted " .. Also in that regard any thoughts on lowering it's detection range versus infantry .. 200m is a bit excessive
  13. Jokkie

Are the tracers, Q spam spotting, mini map blips of red, and sensors not enough? Now you want to add a freaking line.. LOL
    • Up x 5
  14. Mastachief

I can tell you out of the 28 guys on TS tonight there is a strong dislike to this deathcam (that is what it is). This game(multiplayer fps) is almost unique in the skill levels required what it comes to the situational awareness due to the size and scope, this mechanic is a direct nerf to this. I understand you need to pander to the noobs (not newbies, noobs. Newbies that have a brain pick up the situational awareness real fast) and the incoming ps4 crowd but you are lowering the ceiling and that is bad for the long term health of the game.
    • Up x 8
  15. Godsmangamer

This does not sound bad but it won't do much for "tank fire, lib fire, esf fire," will these vehicles need to be spoted or will you be giving a line as to where their location is. I think they auto spot when firing already but just making sure. ?
  16. Plunutsud pls

I see where this is going...

death cam...

360 no scope mlg pro...

[IMG]
  17. Ronin Oni

So it ONLY shows the minimap line and dot on death screen if the killer was spotted? (including audio spot within 100m I presume?)

That's what I'm thinking he's saying. An audio spot shows the dot automatically anyways... or a spotted sniper could have been seen... so in these cases they show up on minimap...

but silenced and unspotted enemies do NOT show up on the death screen... is that right Higby?
    • Up x 1
  18. Wobberjockey

for the sake of my question, no to both

pretty sure each vehicle has it's own auto detect radius.
    presumably if i kill you when someone is within the autodetect radius it'd be a 'spot'
  19. dirtYbird

If you are so hell bent on dumbing it down then just go hard at it.
    How about on re-spawn you just teleport the dead player to directly behind the guy that just killed them... :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  20. Ronin Oni

I know at least one of those codes was used... but no likes?

I might have burned 2 :oops: I didn't get any kind of confirmation, so I tried another and it did the same thing... so I retried the second and it gave me used message... I think I got it, but if I did I may have burned 2 codes... or they were already used and it just glitched on me a couple time :confused:
  21. Wobberjockey

what are those codes even for?