Players don't care about the game, they care about certs.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LegioX, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Robes

As fun as moving from base to base fighting for 2 minutes then it being over for the next 10-15 i'll stick to those long boring drawn out fights that actually makes it feel like an fps instead of arcade game thanks
    • Up x 2
  2. JesusOnos

It's hard to blame the players, as the OP stated. This game was completely torn apart by the cert system. Once you have fully certed into a weapon/class/vehicle, you start to realize, 'Hey... this is how powerful it should have been to start out with..."

It's almost like SOE developed the systems for the game, and then decided to cut them up into little pieces. All it does is force people to spend obnoxious amounts of time to unlock features of the game that should have been there to start out with. A great example is the stock ammo pack for the engi. They basically give you 2 ammo packs and a wasted slot, forcing you to spend certs in order to get something useful. Meanwhile, you probably didn't even know that you had 2 ammo packs because the game doesn't tell you.

They need to add more objectives to the game other than just 'Cap and Hold' or 'Kill Everything for Certs.'
    • Up x 1
  3. WinchesterLock

This could easily be fixed by changing the resource system to the Planetside 1 system. If you want to keep spawning at a base 5-6 lattice links behind enemy lines, you have to truck in resources from the warpgate via Advanced Nanite Transport ( or ANTs for short).
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  4. TheFamilyGhost

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Yes, I've seen it. Once. That's all it took; I played that style of gaming years ago- it doesn't interest me anymore.

I think that the lean to "this weapon allowed only" in the community is strong enough to influence the devs, and very de-evolutionary in terms of gaming sophistication.

IMO, facilities should be designed as a logical construct of their intended purpose (be it science, war, whatever), and not a contrived map to produce a certain type of online combat. In this case, the dialogue would be of what it is intended to do, not who can blow who up.
  5. Gustavo M

Because it's easier to stay in an area where you can't get killed and pick on unfortunate enemies who does not have the same benefits as you: "What do you mean, go outside and defend the base? And to avoid this opportunity to get easy kills? HA, SCREW YOU."
  6. Tuco

We're not given the tools to "care about the game."

Only a realistic simulation of real logistics will bring about that. Not that fake Mickey Mouse logistics, or "meta game" and all the crappy ideas that come from that, I hear y'all talking about.

^^^^^ You know that fake Mickey Mouse gamey logistics thing I was talking about. ^^^^^
    • Up x 1
  7. Tuco

"Hey, there's no real combat game here, just a cert grind."
  8. Wobberjockey

it used to work like that in beta, but that was without the lattice.

it rather sucked because it meant that one infiltratror sneaking in would have effectively defeated 40-50 players.
    while it gave us a role, it wasn't fun on either side of that mess
  9. Roll Fizzlebeef

The way I look at it, people can either guard and defend the points to the best of their ability... or they can chill in the spawn room and farm for the few minutes they can while all points are flipped and the base is captured.

Perhaps we could also make a compromise.

It could be made so that recapturing a point takes two to three times longer in isolated bases.
  10. Frostiken

All I care about certs.

I want more stuff to play with.

All the new stuff to play with costs so many certs it's almost criminal.

All the new stuff to play with costs so much SC it practically *is* criminal. $7.50 for a single stupid gun for a single stupid class for a single stupid faction in a single stupid video game? **** off and die SOE.
  11. UberBonisseur

Since 99% of MMOs are MMORPGs I assume that's what you're referencing to.

And I must say you're right; because 90% of the game will be spent roaming low level zones until you reach the maximum level.
    At which point all those low level zones become completly obsolete and you're left with 10% of the game.

How does this relate to PS2 ?
    It doesn't.

A fairer analogy would be to say that "Early" content is soloing while "Endgame" content in PS2 is continental conquest (in PS1 it was sanclocking).
    The only reason there is a lack of Endgame content in PS2 is that it doesn't exist in the first place.
  12. z1967

This actually sounds like a good idea. Something that I would add along with Hossin and continent locking.
  13. Copasetic

The only way to make this work is to make sure people earn more certs by playing the game "properly" than they would by farming. That's not easy to do but anything else is just going to piss people off. Because they're right, for the average player unlocking things takes ages if they're not farming certs every chance they get.

This whole thing is made worse by the fact that these people farming are actually ruining the game for the people who want to play seriously. You spend every play session frustrated that 2/3rds of your empire is being totally useless at some irrelevant farm while you lose tech plants and important choke points. As a player that cares about how your empire is doing and cares about the metagame (such as it is), that kind of thing is infuriating.

But like I said, I don't blame the farmers. If anything they're the ones playing the game "properly" since that's obviously the best way to earn certs.
  14. Wecomeinpeace

It's basically the same effect one could experience during the "WDS". People all hugged one biolab to farm their WDS points, ignoring everything else. If you didn't want to farm WDS points you were screwed and might aswell log off. And it's the ******** system that is to blame for that.

People farming XP is pretty much like that, just less game breaking but in turn happening constantly; Too many players focussing on farming XP will result in a playstyle that at best is not helpful for your team, and at worst ruins the game experience for those wanting to actually play for territory or objectives instead of just running the hampster-wheel fitted skinner box.

And it's the system to blame that promotes this, which is why i have allways been saying that going "F2P" was and is the root of most problems with the gameplay. F2P and planetside (or any other innovative shooter for that matter) just doesn't mix. Atleast not when you build a game around a cash shop model instead of the other way round.
  15. FABIIK

No Lattice link to warpgate = no spawn
    You wanna keep spawning there? Bring a sundy.
  16. Bibibla

I was abe to exploit this stupid behavior a few days ago. Basically, TR were defending a lane tooth and nails. I went patiently ghostcaping the next lane, at the end of which I was able to position a Viper lightning behind TR's favorite sunderer. A few minutes later, TR lost the base due to that "pincer" move : they were attacked from both lane. (And I was swimming in viper-infantry-kill certs).

Maybe mediocre cert farmers stick to the fight. Veteran cert farmers redeploy themselves strategically. If strategy is about earning certs, so be it.
  17. FABIIK

Problem is that those 'mediocre cert farmers' probably made more certs in a pointless fight than you did capturing several facilities.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kaktwox

You say my analogy doesn't relate to PS2, and then in the next paragraph use the exact same analogy that I was making.
  19. Negator

Youre not in an outfit, or at least not a very interesting one.
  20. BillBoBaggins

K/D is so misleading in PS2,a average player could get a 10+ kd if they farmed all the time.Even a spawn room warrior could get very little deaths if that's all they did.