Did SOE upset the balance when they gave everyone shotguns ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Mar 8, 2014.

1. HadesR

Curious as to what people think .. ( Note: Not faction versus faction balance but overall game balance )

I'm not calling for a nerf or anything such thing .. But I don't think it was the wisest move SOE has made..

It's like they made all these lovely indoor infantry areas on Amerish .. Then decided to **** it up by giving everyone a shotgun ..
  2. PostalDude

• Up x 5
  3. gigastar

No, i dont think so.

Ive not found shotguns to be particularly powerful. This coming from someone whos been using a Nyx indoors. With a 3.4x scope. And winning.

Anyway, despite that particular change i still havent seen that many people running around with thier free shotguns.
  4. Pootisman

Shotguns are just annoying, like all 1-hit kill weapons. Their range and firerate are way to high, i have been killed superfast with 2-3 shots by enemies who were like 30m away. Range and firerate need to be reduced so that shotguns require good aim and good movement to be effective.
  5. LT_Latency

Shot guns sort of suck, You have to be Really really close or your a dead man.
  6. DrPapaPenguin

SInce it's semi-autos, then no. If it were the pump-action 1-hit killers then yeah. Right now it's more amusing to watch newbies try to fire them from 50 metes away :p
  7. Pikachu

Since the usage of shotguns has not increased and shotgun are inferior to other weapons 95% of the time, there is no issue.
    • Up x 5
  8. Paperlamp

I see no issues with it. Shotguns have been nerfed, excluding maybe the jackhammer(which...could use a nerf probably), pretty hard by now. They're not particularly noob friendly anymore, but they still give new players a better chance at competing in CQC than any of the defaults.

I think it was a good move. Now, anyone who thinks shotguns are overpowered can equip one and see for themselves - they suck to get gibbed by but that's true of many less limited weapons in the game as well, and when you use one you get to really feel their limitations.
    • Up x 4
  9. St0mpy

They are just annoying thats all, fed up hearing the damn things

clung clung clung, clung clung clung, all the damn time
  10. Giggily

Giving new players shotguns is a pretty bad idea, in my opinion. Right now I feel like they're the worst balanced class of weapons in the game. The problem with shotguns is pretty much that they're useless outside of near point blank range, and within near point blank range they dominate all other weapons and require very little skill to succeed with. So what you end up with is a weapon with a low skill ceiling and a low skill floor - a bad player can absolutely wipe the floor with a better player by spraying, but at the same time they'll probably be struggling to do well at all.

I don't think giving every player a weapon that is difficult to do well with, and is unsatisfying to be killed by, is a good combination.
    • Up x 4
  11. z1967

It sorta leveled the playing field for new players and old players since most of the combat environment is in CQC and shotguns usually the best in CQC.
  12. Captain Kid

No. I like going inside a building, having survived the one hit kills tanks, planes and snipers to be one hit killed by infantry.
    I also love corner camping maxes and smg infiltrators; it makes for very good fights. (this is sarcasm)
  13. DeadliestMoon

If they used 2-3 shots on you, then it isnt a one hit kill weapon.
    • Up x 7
  14. HadesR

Must be a server thing .. Around 50% of the < BR5 I run into are toting a shotgun
    • Up x 1
  15. Frostiken

I kind of hate the shotgun the NC got. I'm not terribly experienced yet so I don't know if this holds true of all shotguns, but this thing has *no* ability to do anything useful beyond arm's reach. It's a little too knife-fighty range for me and gets me killed more than not.
  16. Badmagic362

I don't know about an upset in balance but there are certainly more low level players with shotguns and I am dieing to shotguns more than before. Not gameplay breaking but very annoying, especially since I prefer CQC combat.
  17. Luighseach

At first I thought it ruined CQC. Then I ran into the noobs wielding them and have laughed ever since. 9/10 people I run into with one of those guns miss 90% of their shots.

Honestly It hasn't affected my gameplay at all but I could see noob vs noob being a headache.

However this being said those 1/10 do end up frustrating me, but it doesn't happen often.
  18. Pikachu

I see you play american server. You might actually have that stuff.
  19. Blarg20011

Naw, shotguns suck anyway, way too situational and not even that good in their niche. Not nearly as good as SMGs or 143/845 weapons.
  20. NC_agent00kevin

Nah. Shotguns are fine. Sometimes its annoying to run into BR14 Shotgun Heavies but they can be dealt with on respawn. They dont really have the capacity or capability to be a huge problem. Surprise PA attacks are the most annoying, but even then, its just a respawn away from being dealt with.