Is there a reason to care about kdr?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mekeji, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PostalDude

I was about to take you seriously, then I saw that you are in ZAPS. :oops:
  2. Monkeydmomo

I don't know what you're getting at.
  3. FatherVanu

I have a K/D of .17 I suck but I have fun playing and thats all that really matters with a game is are you having fun.
    • Up x 2
  4. Xasapis

I don't think it matters on a personal level, for a few reasons:
    • Caring about KDR makes you risk averse. Not taking risks meaning you don't expand your capabilities and knowledge about the things that you can or can not do.
    • It lowers your exp gain per hour. Waiting for rezzes, waiting for reinforcements, playing it safe is not as profitable as seeking as much action as possible.
    • It ruins your enjoyment of the game in your off days. We all have them, the days where nothing works properly. A normal person would keep on playing, a kdr enthousiast would log.
    It is something you can monitor as a measure of your personal performance, but given how it varries from class to class or from gamestyle to gamestyle (vehicle enthousiasts over infantry ones for example), it holds little value beyond that.
    • Up x 2
  5. MykeMichail

No.
    • Up x 1
  6. PostalDude

You consistently run with a "elite" outfit, you use the SO-VERY-ASININE 88.

Also, Tr don't have a weapon above 800 rpm (Except for 1 lousy smg). :eek: Shocking how Vs and Nc do!

You clearly haven't fought against the Orion-Roflstomp.

I made this character before the ESF and Liberator got their peasant-farming tools nerfed.

I'm not a spawn room warrior either.
  7. Lafladitu

I do not care about my KDR, I like too support my faction in anyway possible. Most important is too have fun while playing
  8. Monkeydmomo

Excuse me? You see unlike you I've played every class on every faction with or without my outfit members. Clearly you have never bothered to play a TR medic to wield the TAR, an assault rifle with... what's that? 800 RPM. I actually prefer this rifle to the hv-45, it's far more easier to handle and effective vs the Orion and NUC has proved this in the past. Do not speak low of me nor my outfit just because your incompetence limits your imagination in this this sci-fi game where reality doesn'tt apply.

May I also add that Zaps wasn't found post the lib/esfanti infantry nerf. We too faced the terror of being bombarded while on the ground but unlike the rest we improvised by seeking pilots, setting up buster maxes, and lancer squads, to take care of that. Spawn room warriors you say? Correct me if I'm wrong but a spawn room warrior is a player who sits in the safety of his spawn room and fires through the shields at his opponents. Last time I checked my guys didn't resort to this to successfully defend any facility where we faced the odds of three to one. Unless we were trolling the zealous opponents who felt victorious after being farmed for half an hour they had achieved locking us in after bringing waves of armor.

Many of you are also under the impression that we have never played the offensive but you all stand mistaken. For when we were at least thirty strong during our operation nights we would wreck havoc. An anecdote that comes to mind took place during a Tech plant alert, we were near a Tech plant that was one lattice away from being connected by allied forces. This is when we decided to leave this to the pubs and prepare the tech plant for capture. The plan was as follows: Have our Skywhale Cswic dance the tango with enemy flak until he reached our drop point, the tech plant's balcony; drop into the balcony toss an emp in the door ways to trigger any booby traps, storm in with our maxes leading, clear the point from the balcony since it was a high point, meanwhile our medics would stay posted by the balcony entrance ready to fire at any flankers, and then finally having one squad seize control of the second floor ( A points floor) while the other stayed at the balcony and covered the squad on the second floor. The plan was successful despite the fact that we were facing 48+. It as all going well until the pubs had failed at capturing the neighboring base. Eventually, we were overwhelmed by the reinforcements returning from their victory. We were defeated, but it was fun. I miss the old days... sorry I got carried away.
  9. Tilen

There certainly are games out there that emphasize player's K/D ratios. Just sayin'.
  10. DeadlyPeanutt

what he said. also, i'm an engie main. so every time i get killed and revived in the pocket while repairing a max who is holding a point, my KDR goes south.

never looked at it, never will
  11. PostalDude

[IMG] ( You guys are easy pickings :p)
  12. hawken is better

You've been playing since July? This is a joke... right?
  13. Littleman

I care about my K/D ratio. I primarily run medic. Dead medics don't revive people, thus the golden rule that surviving is priority #1. Medics in PS2 aren't protected by Geneva Convention laws even if they never pull out their assault rifle or sidearm.

Coincidentally, at the end of the day, reviving is a band aid. The reason I'm reviving at all is because my team mates are getting killed. Under ideal circumstances, my unit is so MLG that my services are never required. The likelihood of this ever happening is nil, thanks to delayed packet rates.

Killing is how One takes a protected control point.

Killing is how One defends a protected control point.

We all spawn with our primaries in hand for a reason.

Finally, a second golden medic rule: everyone dies in the line of fire: chances are they are STILL in the line of fire. Solution: remove the fire.

If I can pull off a 2.0 and 20k exp an hour as a medic, that's a good day (admittedly, I'm horrible with SPH no matter what I do.) A 3.0 even at a roughly equal income, a great day.

People think the medic has to hang back because they have an assault rifle, except all the guys dying are found on the front line in an assaulting position. Naturally, I better be good with my aim at all ranges.

But enough of that, I often switch around as the situation demands. A small outpost defense involving a skirmish between 1-12 and 12-24 force numbers is going to lack the prerequisite number of bodies to justify running medic. In these situations I like to run infiltrator for the sensor darts and assassinating plebs.

Heavy assault and engineers are great in open fields for engaging or supporting armor. Well okay, they're great everywhere, fighting the former is just a PITA, especially as a medic or engineer, whom are pretty much limited to being HA without the shields or the rocket (support capability IS NOT a justification.)

Snipers however are always f***ing useless. It's a kill-w**** approach, and no one intentionally seeks out support types, they're just easy pickings because they don't really get to move a lot when doing their job. I only counter-snipe for the sake of my own peace of mind when no one else is taking care of the sniper problem. Contrary to popular belief, moving and shooting isn't all that accurate even ADS.

Bio-labs and towers are where an LA shines the most. Defense for the former, offense for the latter. Breaking apart the door campers so the boys on the stairwell and make a move is the point. Sadly, most LA would rather just run around a tower with AP and a shotgun, picking off people that can't fight because because SOE mixed lag with a 1 shot. This would be okay if automatics killed in 4-5 body shots on average.

When I MAX, it's because I'm kill-w****ing though. I mean, I can still breach defended points, that's where all the bad guys are going after all.
  14. NoInstructions

You seem oblivious to the fact that everyone has to deal with the same problems as infantry yet they spend considerably less time dead than you do. This is all proven over thousands of hours of gameplay, pretty sure that does mean they are better than you. At level 45 it's pretty funny you don't think there are people around with more skill than you.
  15. P4NJ

yeah it's very important, it's very unfortunate when I am getting revived and then check his player site stats and see he has a KDR bellow 1, then I have to decline the revive so I don't give a scrub like that XP.
    • Up x 1
  16. Nephi1im

The problem with KDR is that too many people either worship it or hate it. There is a responsible way to use KDR as a performance indicator without being a KDR worshiper.

It used to be much easier when every game was just TDM and KDR was a pretty cut and dry measure since there wasn't really much else to gauge someone on. Now however, especially in combined arms games, there are just so many situational factors and so many encounter variables that it isn't cut and dry. Having said that, most KDR haters will say "see it's pointless!!! Don't ever look at it!".

The truth is though, that someone with a 5/1 KRD than blazes into an objective room and mows down 5 guys is indeed more useful than the 1/1 KDR guy who goes in, gets a kill and dies. Now, the problem arises when someone alters their play to help their KDR. Nothing wrong with trying to not die, but when that means sniping from a spawn room, farming random infantry with a tank while your team is trying to push into a base, lolpodding infantry instead of engaging the lib tearing up your tanks, etc. that is when KDR is lame.

Point is, good, objective oriented players with higher KDR are indeed better than lower KDR objective oriented players. The myth that many lower KDR players believe though is that you somehow can't have good stats and play objectives. The truth is, there are plenty of great players with high KDR that win many a base through skill and coordination.
  17. KoS-1

What would Patton say in this matter?
  18. TheBloodEagle

It should just be a personal metric; not something on display for everyone.
    • Up x 1
  19. Modern Ancestor

Too old to care about KDR.
    • Up x 3
  20. Monkeydmomo

No, that's just me when I'm drunk and on forums.