CPU dieing ? GameFPS getting worse ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SeniorChief, Mar 7, 2014.

1. SeniorChief

Which way did they go Mr. Dillon?
    PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE JUDGING
    After a year+ playing even in beta I am no longer able to play.
    It s a long and sad story:
    purchased Alpha package
    answer video card no goo nuf
    new card still not good nuf
    better card ok we in
    dident know what an fps was, but was able to play
    never able to do much in big battles but did support engineer stuff frustrating but still enjoyable.
    play was pretty good and the game continued to improve the fps and such then the went into revamp and updates, don't get me wrong game play improved fps improved I read in the forums
    thought I had a lag problem Internet connection so upgraded that and kicked every one off no help( dident know lag was Not the cause of not being able to move..
    So finally gave in call tech support on some of my problems . T he primary one was stuck mouse when I would target a spot and remain there for a period of time I could not move to another target and mouse jurked around a lot and I could not aim..They never heard of this kind of problem Bought new mouse still had problem.
    then it went away Hind site there was a couple updates that improved fps at about the same time.
    now many updates and a bout 6 months later have all kind of problems read all the forums and asked my in game buddies tried everything to get the game optimized to be able to play, tried all types of settings and resolutions everything I could think of game just kept getting worse
    Again call technical sent in specs and called again now my computer dosent meet recommended specs?or even min specs. I been playing for over a year and problems were never this bad, same computer.
    I did not really understand fps cpu and gpu and all the computer people types post were talking way over my head in get this and this one is better than that . well some where along the line I PUSH Alt+f and found FPS and right beside it CPU was there some of the time and others not but mostly there .Yep another call to technical . Yep you guessed it my cpu is not able to handle the game. wait I have been playing since Beta on the same machine ..

so that's the story, so I went on a search in the forums to find a way to shore up my CPU still amazed at the technical data that is posted here and educational after you read enough of it
    1. cpu performance drops as a factor of time your computer is on and in game. read forums and email after you quit playing
    2. apparently my cpu is like me gets worse as it gets older, hand me my cane,
    3. as textures and graphics improve in game my cpu is no longer able to possess all this new information, sunder luminary trim the rustling leaves on amerish even all the new building and walls and mountains that are everywhere and popup after every update
    4.sony says they are always working to improve FPS and I think I have seen some but not lately
    5. playability has gone down for me drastically with resent updates I cant even use voice chat anymore.
    6. If sony takes a good hard look at why people are leaving the game they may be able to see that the playability of the game is going down as the world grows and the game upgrades
    7. can someone out there tell me a good reason to keep paying to play and spending good hard money in station cash. to not be able to play other than scampering around in the barren waste of esmier because that's the only place I can even move any more.

Anyone got any ideas , Any help, does sony have one of those energy saving programs you know I apply and they sell me a good gaming computer for around 50 bucks shipping included?

Please add to this post if it even stays up been removed once before , lets get them to back up and work on PLAYABILITY for the majority of there players who are like me and don't have the funds for a new computer.
  2. FatherVanu

I will admit this game has lag issues at times some people even say when they get in a 30 person battle their game freezes from lag. From my personal experiences I get consistently good FPS but there are random lag spikes that cause my game to crash and I have to log out of my computer or even force shut it down because it froze the whole PC. But this game has quite high system requirements the old windows XP wont work anymore. Im not saying you have an old PC but as this game adds more and more you need a better PC my PC can handle this but others who run older models and can barley play when they first start then 2 months later not be able to play from updates. Most online games follow one of these cycles.

cycle 1: Well marketed-Lots of players- Devs get corrupted by greed-Money grab update-People leave- Game dies.

cycle 2: Well marketed-Lots of players-Players demand more from Devs-Devs add more to keep people playing-People start leaving because updates outdate older PC models-Game slowly dies because people cant afford to keep buying new PC's or PC parts.

I beleive this game is following cycle 2, now it is good to have active Devs to keep the game fresh but somtimes they just simply add too much stuff to a game. Now this also falls on the players we want more but is it really that hard to desire less? The state of a game falls on the player's shoulders. We simply want too much and too much of a good things can be bad. This is represented by people who are having their PCs' that are older models unable to play this game from too much stuff.
  3. Thardus

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for people who claim their computer can't handle Planetside 2. The answer is simple, get a new computer.

My computer is by no means a high tech monster, but when I got it, I made sure it could run Planetside 2, and part of that was skimping on the graphics card, in order to buy one of the best CPU's I could get at the time, because I'd checked the requirements for PS2, and knew that I needed a good one.

Backwards compatibility can often times be a limiting factor in game design, and developers have to draw the line at some point so they can do the most they can with what they have.

You might get left behind, but in doing so, the devs are allowing people with more up to date machines to be rewarded. It's a trade off, and I'm afraid it's time for you to upgrade.
    • Up x 3
  4. Wezdor

If you don't even meet minimum requirements, there is really nothing to talk about here. They are minimum for a reason.
  5. Turkeys!

What are your current PC specs?
    • Up x 1
  6. ScrapyardBob

CPU's don't die these days, even if the heat sink falls off. They will instead lower their clock speed to stay below their max operating temperature. So if it was fine a month ago, and now it's not, odds are that you have a cooling fan that isn't working or a heat sink retention clip that has broken.
  7. Tatwi

What the crap is this pseudo tech voodoo? lol... Good luck with your problems man... All of them... lol...
  8. Dill Bagner

I don't understand. I use a laptop with a 2.4ghz i3 processor, 4 gigs of ram, and fricken integrated graphics and this game runs perfectly smooth except in the biggest of battles.
  9. sustainedfire

There is a known issue with Nvidia drivers- are you using an Nvidia card?

If youre not meeting specs, don't x spec a good experience. :eek:
  10. Mortucus

3rd gen cpu and a 560 gtx is all u need to play on hi to ultra setting thats a total of 300 dollars
    • Up x 1
  11. NC_agent00kevin

I played this on a Phenom II x4 and a GTX 460 just fine after the performance updates. Prior to that extra large battles were laggy but large and lower were ok.

My kids run this on Athlon II x2 CPUs and 9800 Gt 1Gb cards pretty well. Massive 200 man battles dont run the greatest, but its to be expected. They are, however, doable.

Im not sure what advice to offer except to make sure all of your hardware is functioning properly.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hobo Jack

i will say that CPU matters a lot in this game i just recently went from a massively overclocked (25%+ clockspeed overclock) AMD quadcore phenom2 to a Intel Haswell i5 4670k and even at stock clocks my fps has nearly doubled at all times. While using the Phenom 2 my video-card was basically idleing in the larger fights and i was getting 30 20 and sometimes even 15 frames per second. With the Intel my videocard gets as high as 80 percent load and i have yet to see average framerates dip below 50s usually it is much higher even in the larger battles.

I will say one thing though is that when the game FIRST came out i was running the game with everything turned on with zero problems even large biolab fights the game played smoothly. i think project OMFG was overall a sucess because it was an improvement from the previous state but somehow all of the updates they implemented over the year had made the optimization even worse than when the game originally launched. And i would like to add that when the game originally launched i had a slower graphics card and my cpu was not overclocked back then.

so to the OP i dont think that your processor is dying but perhaps it is just the state of the game. however just because when you press ALT F and it says CPU or GPU it does not indicate that there is necissarilly a problem with your hardware no matter how fast your computer is there will allways be at least one component that is going to hold another one back at SOME point in time.

overall i am not so quick to judge and point fingers at SOE because first of all they are the first ones to admit that improvements can't be made and they have made an effort into improving most people's performance. Secondly there honestly is no other game that has multiplayer on this sort of scale especially considering all the eye candy that this game offers. SOE went into uncharted territory and the world is a better place for this game existing and i'm sure the future hardware manufacturers are going to see what SOE is doing and build better hardware that can better tackle the unique challenges that this game offers and hopefully not only does SOE eventually get the kinks out and hopefully more games will come out like this one
  13. Typhoeus

Um I'm getting the impression english isn't your language or you are trolling hard. 50$? Filling up my car costs more then that :/

Anyways if serious, you'll want a mobo(100-300$), cpu(400$) and gpu(300-1000$). If you pick up a cheap gpu at 300$ you'll want more then one to run sli so you'll need a beefy powersupply so in the end your better off just buying one more expensive gpu at around 700$. Then you got the other parts like ram and hard drive and powersupply that'll be cheaper but still add up. So realistically you should budget for around 2000$ and if you manage to buy everything for less then that, then awesome :D

Or just wait for the playstation 4 version of the game to come out if 2000$ is out of your reach. Granted a 500$ playstation is still a lot more then 50$... Might be time to find a cheaper hobby my friend :(
  14. Vodski

50 bucks is ret@rded, but 2000 for a computer to play this game is even more ret@rded. You can build your own that will play on ultra, for 500-1000.
    • Up x 1
  15. ScrapyardBob

You're over-spec'ing by a lot. For a modest game machine you just need something that supports a good i5 CPU. So you're looking at something like $80 for the MB and $180-$210 for the i5 CPU and maybe $75 for RAM. Sundries like a half decent case ($70-$80) and decent PSU ($70-$80) will set you back about $150.

Good graphics cards can be had for about $150. That's the real sweet spot for price vs performance. You don't even need to SLI them to get decent frame rates at 1080p. If you want to move up a bit, try to spend around $200-$250 for the GPU. Going beyond that point gets you very little gain per dollar spent. Especially when you start talking about $600-$700 GPUs that are definitely not 3x as fast as a $200 GPU.

SSDs are around $0.80/GB and are very nice to have, but if you need a bit more space, the $0.30/GB 10k RPM Velociraptors are a good budget choice. Plus a cheap 1TB drive for backups (along with something like Acronis True Image Home).

(Then there's the $100 or so for the Windows license.)

In short, you can build a modest gaming PC for $900-$1000. A budget machine with discrete GPU would be down around $600-$700.
  16. Typhoeus

This is also true. I was going with a build that'd let you play planetside 2 with everything maxed out and still get 60fps minimum ^^ I should've specified, my bad. I can't vouch for what kind of performance you'll get with a 1000$ rig but I'd figure it'll run at low to medium settings with 30fps there abouts. Still playable, but not my idea of enjoyable.