Smoke Grenades

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Tenebrae Aeterna, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Tenebrae Aeterna

How often do you use your smoke grenades? It's quite rare that I actually see them used, but I've heard that this is a completely different case on other servers and more of a server preference sort of thing. So, I'm curious about the general consensus regarding smoke grenades.
  2. Kronic

I use them in specific instances, for example, to get through to the air pads from inside biolabs during those massive stalemates I'm sure we're all aware of. I throw a smoke nade in one of the two little corners where all the attackers are spamming from and jump jet through the gap on the very edge of where the pad meets the bio lab. To this day nobody ever expects it. Sometimes I get gibbed by a shotgun f4g, but most times I clear out that side of the pad, get underneath the pad, on its struts and go on the other side to do the same thing. Or sometimes I just jet onto the ramp where the jump pads are to shoot the enemies that are behind those cylinder things on the centre of the pad after I've cleared the the corner where all the spammers are. I mostly use the NS-11C for this for its quick reload but now that I think about I could probably use a shotgun as well.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tenebrae Aeterna

Doesn't the Flash Grenades do just as well in this type of situation?

I'm asking all this because I'm going to ultimately be suggesting "napalm grenades" for the Light Assault and figured the best grenade to replace would be smoke...which could then go to the Engineer. As it stands, the Engineer lacks a second class specific grenade...and if the Light Assault gets napalm, smoke seems like it could technically fit the Engineer as well.

This provides both classes with a defensive and offensive grenade type.
  4. Kronic

Not really because:
    1. It helps give me cover from the spammers that are on the other side of the pad that have a pretty decent LoS on me as I'm approaching if they're paying attention and not just mindlessly spamming explosives.
    2. Because smoke penetrates solid objects, the whole of that corner where the enemies are is covered in smoke giving me a sort of cover as I'm shooting them as well as ensuing a bit of panic as they can't really pinpoint me too well amongst all the friendlies they will mow down if the just open fire.

So yeah as you can see smoke gets me to where I need to be and keeps me alive (or so I believe anyway :p). I think it's okay if LA get 3 special nades, engis get loads of utility items/general useful items so it balances out if you ask me.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

True...

Going for the whole "Bounty Hunter" type of feel with the Light Assault...so three specialty grenades does seem to follow suit. With that said, still curious about others and their use of smoke...it's saddening that I don't see it as often as I'd like since I run with a IRNV scope. :p
  6. Corezer

Smoke competes with underbarrel smoke at the moment, one is infinite and provides a screening effect for pushes, the other sucks.

To make smoke grenades different and equally effective when put up against the UBSL, 2 things need to happen.

Smoke needs to go off faster and reach full effect sooner. (needs to go off like EMP quick, and provide concealment in a second or 2)

Needs to conceal from IRNV scopes.

Then it would at least be a decent escape mechanism, right now it does nothing. Some people purportedly use it with IRNV scopes to jump in and get kills, but I haven't found this to be an effective tactic, since the scope is one of the most popular for the enemy as well, they tend to shoot back at an alarming rate.
    • Up x 1
  7. MasterChaif

I love smoke grenades, them and flashbangs are the only support grenades you can bounce off doorways and such. UB smoke launcher can't be used in close quarters as effectively since it needs to travel some before it would go live.
    • Up x 1
  8. Lethal_Sting

Biolabs.

As attacker, wind up the throw animation and throw out of the teleport room. In more cases than not, gets team-mates to "grow a pair" and charge out.

As defender, toss in front of enemy teleport room. They follow the same drive as mentioned above. ;)
    • Up x 1
  9. Alarox

I do use them sometimes, but usually I avoid them. The bug where they don't show smoke depending on how far away the grenade is for you is stupid, as you never know who is actually blinded and who isn't.
    • Up x 1
  10. Decian

Beat by infinite UBGL. Hoping they ditch them for AV grenades for MAX killing.
  11. TheGreatMahoo

I find myself using them less and less. They are handy, but just too unreliable. Half the time I think I have it set up well to use, I get killed by someone who isn't affected, or has an NV/IR scope (pretty common attachment).

The only times I really find myself using them now is to spam 2-4 of them into an area that is swarmed with infantry, to cover a fly-by C4 drop. Not as good as the HA conc grenades, and still a very risky maneuver, but loads of fun when you can pull it off. Inside of Techplants at the point usually is a good spot for these antics...
    • Up x 1
  12. Moisture

You will almost never be failed by Equipping a "S" Carbine , IRNV and smoke.
    Even if for just the advantage of the scope.
    Its always useful, Even if you just fire it at a tank to blind it for a few seconds
    • Up x 1
  13. MasterChaif

try tossing them in a window as you are jetting up to go in through the roof, by the time you get down the stairs it will be smoking
  14. Bankrotas

I have a smoke build with triple smoke nades and GCSubsl. Sometimes it's just makes pubs push quite hard. Doesn't work as well against TR.
  15. Cyrek

Smokes legitimately piss off Tank drivers and armor sniping maxes.
  16. Malcmodnar

I use smoke grenades all the time, mostly because frag grenades seem to have only slightly more damage.

Don't get me wrong, they're next to worthless for covering an assault. Most enemies will just spam Q-spot or bullets when you throw them, and they actually draw more attention than just attacking would. And if someone breaks out an IN/RV scope, you've just painted at target on your head.

Their worthlessness is actually why I use them. If I'm attacking a room, I'll toss one in the front door. Then, while every enemy is staring at the giant, "Free Kills Here!" sign, I'll come in a window or back door and start killing. It's far more effective than it really should be.

Oh, and they're completely outclassed by UBGL smoke, but that requires carrying an S-variety weapon, and I'm not willing to stoop that low.
  17. lawn gnome

as for connery the hand held smoke grenades really aren't because under barrel smoke launchers can be fired for free and indefinitely as long as there is an ammo pack. but over all smoke is used a decent amount. the light assault in our small outfit usually has a smoke launcher at the ready and often uses it to cover advances.

be warned the smoke is not entirely harmless. if a friendly runs in front of you as you fire the smoke and the round hits them in the head there is a very real risk that it will kill them. i have accidentally killed friendlies with smoke before.