"Auto Sniper, Reported" A Farewell to the SOAS-20

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by MrMurdok, Mar 5, 2014.

1. MrMurdok

Disclaimer: This is a personal Opinion and should not be taken as a review. All content is purely based on feels and has nothing to do with MLG or muh sk1llz.

So I guess I've been a really good Murdok this year, because HigbyClaus decided to tailor a weapon exactly for what I want and need, and give it to the faction I play. He gave me a big, hi-powered and loud gun that I can adjust for whatever range I need. I can finally shoot a C-10 Canister Rifle.

I was that wierd guy with the SOAS for a long time, using it almost exclusively, apart for a few ventures with SMGs and some sniper rifles, for Auraxium reasons, but I always came back to the SOAS, because it felt like an Infiltrator weapon. I lack the twitch reflexes to go close-range bolting, Planetside 2 was the first FPS I've played ever since those two months I tried to like Modern Warfare 2, and bum-rushing with the Armistice with two Claymores strapped to my chest just feels... wrong
    But the SOAS was different.

A sub-par, underperforming weapon. I would lose a face-to-face with anything in the game, but I wanted to make it work, the sound, the look, the gunplay (bare in mind, this is pre-SMG days, pre auto-scout buff days) was so unique to any other Infiltrator I've seen, I just wanted to make it work, I wanted to make the gun better, instead, it made me better.

It taught me how to use Hunter Stealth properly to get to a good flanking position, it taught me about attachments and how they work, it taught me to use the Recon Dart and watch the minimap while running around, watching for blips so I can land the first few shots. It taught me how to properly burst fire, it taught me the importance of EMP grenades, because I can now kill enemies with half the shots, and with the SOAS, every shot counted.

The gun taught me to stick together with my squad members, because I couldn't hold my own by rushing in, but I could use the darts, and the grenades, I could put down fire down range with them, pick off a stray or two, or go flank from the side while they pushed in. This also allowed me to sort of 'observe' squad gameplay, and imrpove it in the way that I saw fit, all thanks to a sub-par, underperforming gun.

And now, with the C-10, err, I mean, TRAP, I have a gun that provides me with the same sort of restrictions the SOAS provided me (ADS is a must, hipfire, even with a Laser Sight, is a last resort "Oh Shi-" sort of thing, proper fire managment and small magazine size) but actually rewards me for following these restrictions, as I can use what the SOAS taught me, with this gun. Currently running it with a X2 Reflex and a Laser Sight, I can fire it to the same ranges as the SOAS, only I can stand a chance in engagements I would nearly always lose with the SOAS.

So, after countless hours, 23,155 kills (catch up if you can, Mustarde) and a heavy heart, the SOAS-20 finally gets to go back and rest in the weapons locker.

You kill good, SOAS. You kill good.
    • Up x 5
  2. Wobberjockey

My condolences for your loss...

and my undying envy at it's replacement
  3. VogonPoetMaster

Is long-range sniping that frowned upon here or something? :/
    • Up x 1
  4. MrMurdok

Not at all, there are pleanty of long rangers here. I'm just a part of the assault themed Infiltrators.
  5. Nephi1im

As an NC, I feel your pain. The TRAP is great, and I would trade the railjack for it any day of the week.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hoki

While the TRAP is far from OP, its got that right balance. Its no sniper rifle, but it can reach out and touch as a long range ambusher perfectly well, midrange monster, and isn't a death sentence at short range.
    Most importantly it works well with a silencer and sounds like a stapler, a very discreet killer at any range.

Its just an excellent balance and yeah NC and VS are missing out.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pikachu

Not to mention that its the most fun to use of the new rifles. I wish we had the trap too instead of dulljack.
    • Up x 2
  8. Cromell

The main issue with Railjack is that it's "just another bolt action". Even without the delay or with that bugged 10 round magazine it was still another dull BASR. "Fixing" it would probably make it OP, though, what it needs is a rework of sorts. That is probably not happening.

Funny thing is, many TR believe the TRAP to be underwhelming. Mostly because as a burstfire weapon it's tricky to use at the start, and 18 rounds for this kinda weapon feel very scarce (though I've learned that it really isn't, I just had to adjust to it). I love the fact we got something that is good but isn't broken balance wise like Striker or Vulcan were (because we all know what happens when TR get nerfed) and I've been enjoying the gun a lot, though I seem to do better with Vandal. That being said, I am not giving up on SOAS - I like it too much.
  9. Plague Rat

Another jealous NC here. To be perfectly honest with the current state of the RJ I don't consider NC to even have an ES rifle, just another Longshot with an awkward quirk to justify it's existence.

I really liked the trap on test. It exceeded my expectations, and the burst feels very controllable. I dig the burst fire carbine on my LA and Engi, so a burst fire infiltrator weapon was something I've been wanting and asking for... so it only figures that my faction didn't get it. :rolleyes:

Honestly this weapon has tempted me more than anything else to date to abandon the sizable time and cash investments I've made over the last year in the NC to jump factions.
  10. pnkdth

Yepp, luv the TRAP. I agree, the full auto scout rifles are, relatively speaking, weaker now since the TRAP got introduced.

For me, there is a simple fix for the Railjack and that's giving 8-10 rounds per magazine. For me the delay is actually starting to work to my benefit now. Once you get used to it, it is more reliable to lead the delay and than leading distance/movement with, for example, a longshot. More importantly, you do not have to be a 200+ meters to make this work for you.
  11. Lord_Avatar

The SOAS-20 - my go-to weapon as Infiltrator. Pinpoint accurate even on full auto (Comp. + Fore.), sounds awesome and nets me amazing kills.