If you don't want me to farm, stop punishing me for my job.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by deggy, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Pacster

Yeah, and I got a simple solution for you: Make infantry farming less rewarding. If they are exactly as rewarding as AV then there is no reason for you to switch to infantry farming after all. That's not the solution you like tho. Your idea is "let's put some more vehicles into the game"....which...well...will end up in even more infantry farming by vehicles but at least some more targets for you. Who cares for the victims of this?
    See the problem?
  2. Soldat

its so easy to have more combined arms game and it was mentioned all around but i can sum it up again:
    get rid of some bases so vehicles dont have to pass spawnrooms full of heavys all 100m and bases where
    all the Anti vehicle Infanry can spawn and have cover..
    for those who like good infatry fights make larger bases with objectives under ground and vehicles cant
    enter (but pls no more walls running along one without cover anywhere searching for the entrance
    is also not a solution).
    some of the new amerish bases are a Little better but not perfect.. mainly because they are too small.
    and also Limit range of some AV weapons for inf.. so a hill or mountain is
    not a 1000m no vehicle playzone.
    more room between bases whould allow more manouver/flanking and place for vehicles which there
    can fight each other and not only spamming chokepoints
  3. Razorfinch

I feel like diminishing returns for killing infantry over a 5-10 minute period would help discourage spawn camping tanks. You need to kill infantry either way so after a certain amount of infantry kills you start getting less xp for them. not 0 xp just much less. Reset the diminished returns if you capture a base or return to an owned base to resupply, rather than just using the sundy for resupplying.

Aside from that, yeah, tanks really need something better to do other than killing infantry. Perhaps those giant pipes that are all over the place could be damaged by ordinance reducing the resources produced for the enemy faction by several regions (about the same net loss as just capping one of the regions) and reducing your individual resource gain while you are in the effected regions. Since they're so big you would need a lot of firepower to damage them, and perhaps you would need a galaxy or sunderer to repair them. Make the certs gained from successfully taking one down significant and tanks will actually try to take it down.

It would introduce a new dynamic to the map itself and battles in general.
  4. Copasetic

With the base redesigns almost done I think SOE should be encouraging people to pull more armor. At least make tanks spawnable at all bases again. It's impossible to get an armor fight going when only one side can pull tanks, which is what usually happens when the fight moves from one base to the next.
  5. Winfield

I always found I was making more certs/SPH in tank vs. vehicle combat rather than being AI, and with AI I can still snipe infantry quite well.
  6. VakarisJ

Actually, there are more certs in hunting vehicles instead of killing infantry.

You get 500 XP for a tank, 100/200 XP for it's crew and the extreme menace bonus that they'll presumably have. Each infantry kill is only worth 100 XP and the chance of them carrying the extreme menace bonus is rare.
    In addition, if your gunner kills the target -- you get a critical assist and gunner kill bonus. Both of which combined is more then what you'd usually gain by just killing an empty vehicle, such as a deployed sundy. You don't get the extreme menace bonus though.

Killing infantry is still a valid option, it's just a different way to use your vehicle and there isn't anything wrong with it. It is a game mechanic after all.
  7. Jachim

Wow, so you actually believe that by removing tanks that zergs will just vanish? That's shocking... I never thought someone actually thought that zergs will be removed with the resource change.

You do realize that even without those vehicles, when your spawn is surrounded, you've lost. Removing them will not change that fact at all.

You're just mad seeing all those vehicles because of prejudicial attitude towards those who pull tanks, not because they're actually in any way stopping you from accepting that you've lost that base and move onto the next one.
  8. Jachim

I've been a proponent of severely nerfing the exp tankers get for killing infantry. They should be able to kill infantry just as effective as they can now, but they should not be able to make a cert-farm out of it. They should be actively defending themselves from infantry, while focusing on taking out enemy armor.

I also feel that with the resource change should come significant changes to tanks once they're no longer spammable. I hope SOE looks indepth into locking out 'br1scrub' from pulling a tank and just getting it blown up wasting resources for people who have heavily certed their tank and are much more effective.

Dunno how that could be done, but once vehicle spam is a thing of the past, keeping tanks as fragile and useless as they are now is not the way forward.

But yes, on topic, nerf tanker exp when killing infantry to like 10-50 exp max, even against extreme menace.
  9. LordMondando

No, AI is not farming.

Sitting on a hill spamming HE/HEAT shells at a point, or a doorway is farming, and your an ******* if you do it.
  10. FABIIK

That's the problem. The INFINITE XP gained from killing enemies, no matter how cheesy it is.

Simple solution: cap the xp gain after a certain number of kills (in a certain time lapse) (just like engie ammo boxes).
  11. DeadAlive99

OP sounds very logical. If it hasn't been mentioned yet (still reading), there are other aspects of the game that also punish solid work.

* Medic revives are 3 times as fast as full health rejuv., and pay up to 3 times as much, as such, it's more valuable to let your teammates croak than it is to keep them healthy, plus you are exposed for less time in the field. It ought to be the opposite.

* Engys have caps on the ammo pack and the Sundy ammo truck. Never mind the fact that supplying ammo is valuable and when you need it, and don't have it, it's a royal PITA....no, let's just cap Engy's because ammo packs don't require aiming, and therefore aren't 'leet'. Because of this, I constantly suicide when my pack caps to reset it.

Those are two examples that are a disincentive to play naturally like you would in other shooters. I'm sure there are more. I agree that players should be rewarded for the quality of their work, and the value of their role, not just the quantity of work done.
  12. VogonPoetMaster

Absolutely. Like many PS2 players, all you can think about are certs, SPM, etc.. So much so, that you just admitted to compromising your own fun so you can earn a little more virtual currency over a period of time.

As I once asked another poster: are you playing PS2 or is PS2 playing you?
  13. Ephreal

There should be a diminishing return of xp when someone is stationary and firing at the same spot. this should go for everything and IMO remove farming for the sake of XP and force people to "spam" and area because it will be helpful.
    Also when something spawns the max awarded xp from it should be a function of time. IE if you kill something 5 seconds after it have spawn it rewards you 0 xp where after 20 seconds you'll get full XP. This would discourage spawn camping for the sake of XP.
  14. Corporate Thug

Some play this game like a FPS, while others play it like a MMO :( Many just don't understand how fun the game can actually be when fighting, not steam rolling, but actually fighting when you are outnumbered or the underdog. The easiest way to play the game is by farming and zerging, so that's what we see the most of sadly. As pops start to dwindle, I'm pretty confident that we will see a lot more even engagements and people doing what needs to be done rather than selfish gameplay.

Vehicles never had an objective, which is something most of us have realized and why many complain about the vehicle spam. When we start to mention how most of vehicles are pulled and aren't needed or that they just want to farm, there are many who cry infantryside, yet vehicles never had objectives. It was always the infantry who captured the points and destroyed generators, while those in vehicles got rewarded with less effort or risk. Infantry are the core of this game. Vehicles are still very strong against infantry, but not in large numbers of infantry which many vehicle users won't accept. In war there are always a huge amount of infantry with some vehicle support, which isn't the way it plays out in PS2 lots of times. Everyone feels entitled to sit in a vehicle and complain because they aren't needed and have to just sit there and spam. Most of the time the vehicle was never needed and they were useless the minute they decided to pull it.