If you don't want me to farm, stop punishing me for my job.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by deggy, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Taemien

Welcome to playing MMOs.

My suggestion is quite lenient compared to how MMOs usually handle raids. At least you're getting certs while not online when the continent is captured. Other games would require you to be both Online, and Present at the point of completion.
  2. deggy

I'm sitting on 2,200 certs, I'm no longer really in it for the certs. But I think this issue is the reason so many players see tanks as farming vehicles.
  3. Halon

4. Rift23

You're missing the part where the other side's vehicles show up and you have to defend the sundys with your own so the infantry aren't bled dry by attrition over the next three minutes and the base cap fails..
  5. AzureKnight

How about you do something like this:

Infantry kills vehicle= XP and certs + 100%
    Vehicle kills Infantry= XP and certs - 50%
    Vehicle kills Vehicle= Normal XP

I actually suggested this before, but went in to much more detail separating out Air vs ground and inf as well as throwing the skyguard in its own bracket.
  6. LibertyRevolution

I have never once seen tanks defending a sunderer.
    Defending a sunderer once it is found is pointless, the LA/eng will keep coming until they kill it, all you can do is move it.

Enemy sunderers don't last 2mins once I know it is in the hex.
    I'll drive a cloaked wraith flash into it with 3 blocks of C4..
    Or pull a harasser and jump out and tank mine it..
    Or drifter jet c4 with my under-barrel grenade launcher, or..
  7. Eclipson

I'm just waiting for the day when vehicles can switch loadouts.
  8. deggy

No more XP to incentivize targeting tanks.

The only reason C4 suicide charges are this common is because tanks re worth a LOT of XP. We can't increase that even more.
  9. Devrailis

Playing around with exp at this point is just throwing on short-term, quick-fix, band-aid solutions that don't address the real cause of tank v tank pointlessness. Vehicles need more mechanics to influence a base's status beyond shooting at the infantry inside of it.
  10. deggy

Yes, they do. I'd like it if the resource revamp involved NTU runs, those were at least something for armor to do. Maybe if the Sunderer has to mine the nanites from some mine place with very little vehicular cover that can't be "captured", it just has to be defended...
  11. Devrailis

In case you missed it, since I see Liberty derailed you on a wild tangent:

In response to the infantry-side nature of the game.

I don't say infantryside in reference to there being a lot of infantry or infantry being too powerful. Infantryside means that the only meaningful benchmark of faction success - territory capture, is currently ONLY influenced by infantry. The core mechanics that exist around hex flipping are currently 100% infantry-centric. If you removed every vehicle in the game and left only infantry, you could still flip bases. If you removed all of the infantry, there is no meaningful way for vehicles to interact with any sort of objectives because there are no vehicle objectives. That's really the root cause of the "drive around shooting infantry" issue, there's literally nothing else to do.
  12. AzureKnight

Like I said, i did go in deeper. Easy way to cut it down would be increasing C4's resource cost by at least 50%.

Regardless, there should be some sort of system in place where killing one thing one way is more rewarding than killing it another. i don't think Tankers with AI shells should get the same experience for killing infantry as infantry gets for killing infantry. Likewise, I do think that there should be incentives for a tank taking out a plane (skyguard excluded) or infantry taking out a vehicle (MAXes included but a smaller gain).

If certain aspects of combat had incentives, or had negatives, it would really help. But when it comes to infantry, you'd need to more specialize each class so that not every class could take out a tank to make it a balanced system.
  13. Flashtirade

For the record, there is a tank superiority bonus for killing tanks with tanks and a fighter superiority bonus for killing ESFs with ESFs.

The devil is in the details with the system you suggest.
    Say you're in an AP tank, but there are no vehicles to blast, so you shoot the squishies. All well and good, but how should you be rewarded for it? Should you get less for it since the weapons aren't meant for doing that, or should you get more since you have to be more skilled to kill infantry with them? If you miraculously kill an enemy tank using the HE barrel, the same questions apply.
    This also wouldn't do anything to stop spawnfarming, in fact it'd possibly make it even more rewarding than before.

The questionable mechanics already in place (mainly base design and being able to pull vehicles at any time barring resources and timers) make this idea a double-edged sword.
  14. Rellenar

Why just go with switching loadout? Tanks should be able to take AP, HEAT and HE shells, not just one option.

Really, I think the game suffers from how shallow the vehicle gameplay can be. Vehicles need to be more flexible to promote more interesting gameplay with them. Though yes, the comments about needing a role are applicable too.
  15. WTSherman

It would be nice if I could carry more than one shell type and switch between them on the go, though if we did that we would only need HE and AP, since the whole point of HEAT in this game is to be the Mario. When you can switch you don't need to compromise.

Perhaps whether you've got HE or AP chambered affects damage and blast radius, the turret you have equipped determines things like elevation range (how well you can aim up/down), rotation speed, and reload speed, and both affect shell velocity (AP is slightly faster than HE on the same turret, but some turrets fire both shells at a higher velocity than others).

Alternatively the turret can determine most of the stats, but loading AP always makes the following changes: 0 splash damage, direct damage is equal to the HE version's direct+splash, small bump in velocity over HE, and of course the change in resist type.

For example (numbers are HE/AP):
    Standard Titan 150 turret:
    Speed: 250/275
    Damage: 1300(1000)/2300(0)
    Blast radius: 2-8m/0m
    Ammo: 1(25)/1(25)
    Reload speed: 6s(4s)
    Elevation: +25, -5
    Cost: Default

Titan-140 Sabot (tank-hunting turret that fires sub-caliber shells at a higher velocity, gaining speed and direct damage but losing blast radius):
    Speed: 300/350
    Damage: 1600(1000)/2600(0)
    Blast radius: 1-5m/0m
    Ammo: 1(30)/1(30)
    Reload speed: 5.5s(3.5s)
    Elevation: +20, -10
    Cost: 750

Titan-155 Howitzer (infantry-support turret that lobs a large, low-velocity shell)
    Speed: 175/200
    Damage: 1000(1400)/2400(0)
    Blast radius: 3-12m/0m
    Ammo: 1(20)/1(20)
    Reload speed: 6.5s(4.5s)
    Elevation: +35, -10
    Cost: 1000

Prowler (numbers in [] are for anchor):
    Standard P2-120:
    Speed: 225/250 [292.5/325]
    Damage: 725(700)/1425(0)
    Blast radius: 2-6m/0m
    Ammo: 2(50)/2(50)
    Reload speed: 3s(2s) [1.5s(1s)]
    Elevation: +25, -10

P2-110 Sabot:
    Speed: 275/325 [357.5/422.5]
    Damage: 1000(700)/1700(0)
    Blast radius: 1-4m/0m
    Ammo: 2(60)/2(60)
    Reload speed: 2.5s(1.5s) [1.25s(.75s)]
    Elevation: +20, -12

P2-130 Howitzer:
    Speed: 175/200 [227.5/260]
    Damage: 700(800)/1500(0)
    Blast radius: 2-8m/0m
    Ammo: 2(40)/2(40)
    Reload speed: 3.5s(2.5s) [1.75s(1.25s)]
    Elevation: +35, -12

Magrider:
    Supernova PC:
    Speed: 200/250
    Damage: 1175(1000)/2175(0)
    Blast radius: 2m-7m/0m
    Ammo: 1(25)
    Reload speed: 3.5s(2.5s)
    Elevation: +20, -12

Supernova FPC:
    Speed: 225/275
    Damage: 1410(1000)/2410(0)
    Blast radius: 1-5m/0m
    Reload speed: 3s(2s)
    Elevation: +18, -15

Supernova VPC:
    Speed: 175/200
    Damage: 1000(1200)/2200(0)
    Blast radius: 2-10m/0m
    Reload speed: 4s(3s)
    Elevation: +30, -15

These are all guesstimate numbers of course, I make no promise as to their balance or final form. In fact I worry with those numbers that the Prowler doth spam too much. Also, does anyone know the actual gun elevation range for the tank guns? I'm just grabbing values out of WoT because I couldn't find the ones for PS2.
  16. faykid

Extra "vehicle kill" XP for tankers (not infantry), e.g.: kill a tank with C4/RL/etc. you get the current normal vehicle kill XP, bu if you kill it with a tank gun - 1000 or even 2000 on top (and assist XP to scale, depending on the % of damage you dealt)
  17. Locke

I personally think the issue is that vehicles have no room to maneuver. Particularly on Indar the bases are just so cramped together that there is almost no penalty for losing a Sunderer spawn point. Concepts such as transporting troops (something tanks should be aiming to stop) and open field combat are almost non-entities when every base is a 2 min auto run apart. Every road is designed as a funnel to the next base with almost no possibility of deviation to do anything like flanking the enemy or sneaking a Sunderer to an unexpected position. Tanks principle focus should be stopping the forward deployment of infantry or engaging other tanks to enable their infantry to do the job at the next base not spamming HE at a spawn room door.
  18. vsae

Air and Tank superiority bonus should be humongous. End of problem.
  19. DrStelio

Extra vehicle kill exp is necessary due to 70% World and Continent population zergs by VS on Mattherson and Connery.
    I counted 17 Magriders huddled around The Bastion, while NC was trying to defend it, completely spawn camping and limiting all resistance.
  20. Rellenar

Well, why does AP even do constant damage? It should have falloff over range like the other kinetic weapons. Then each shell type has its own niche.

I think the "no room to maneuver" is also really accurate. Bases are crammed together like sardines on Indar and the unstoppable spawn buildings can really dictate the flow of battle. If most of them got just turned into scenery then it would be a big improvement to the flow and make the game world feel more like a big space and less like a series of interconnected maps.