MAXes are out of control

Discussion in 'MAX' started by N4poleon, Mar 4, 2014.

1. TheBloodEagle

AV grenades...use them.
    AV grenades with Grenade Bandolier...use it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Radian12

AV grenades hurt so much O_O lats night i hid behing a wall . The av nade explodet like 3m from me and took 50% health . I had Flak2 on me . Even with Flak 5 one AV nade in the face hurst so much .
  3. hostilechild

AV grenades also tend to kill the engineer a lot of the time and a decimator to the face finishes off the max.

Maxes are fun to fight against, actually have to use tactics. And in mass, squad/platoon tactics.

I wouldn't mind seeing some 2-3 times rez limit. The only issue becomes when trying to take a base and hold it you can't just keep pulling in maxes and gal dropping you have to revive them. and Sunderers rarely stay up long, so defense would have a huge advantage if max had revive limits. (although bases would be way more defenseable, slight plus.)
  4. FieldMarshall

Are they out of control again? Tell me more about MAX balance, please...
  5. Utrooperx

I've noticed some odd things about the Enemy Maxes...sometimes they fall over with hardly any effort (Deci+short burst TMG-50)...and sometimes they are darn near unkillable...I mean if a Max is sitting on a point and we manage to kill his pet Engineer, he should go down pretty fast...but these illegitimate-sons-born-out-of-wedlock just don't DIE...concussion grenades, multiple Deci's, auto-shottie...heck I've even managed put a sticky grenade on their head...and they just don't DIE.

I sort of wish there was a way to tell what kind of armor they are wearing...that way you could tailor your tactics against them

I do sort of agree with the OP...right now the MAX seems to be way too strong in that it can effortlessly chew through entire squads with proper support and can pretty much enforce a stalemate situation at Bio Labs...and the only thing worse then seeing a army of VS Crab suits running at you...is a army of NC "Insta-death-within-10-meters"...but at least you can stay away from the NC Maxes and hurt them...the VS Crab suits...short, medium, or long range...you are pretty much dead.
    • Up x 1
  6. umbrellapower

MAXes turn the game into a shooter/horror hybrid game that makes me **** my pants every 15 minutes or so. Especially in smaller fights, it's just jarring to be shooting other players who are also infantry, when all of a sudden a MAX comes barreling through. Then it becomes a game of "HAHA RUN YOU LOWLY PIECE OF PEASANT **** RUN YOU ******" as I'm fumbling trying to toss my conc and pull out my rocket launcher in hopes of the MAX being an awful shot.

At least I play NC so I don't usually have to face ScatMAXes.
    • Up x 5
  7. Boomotang

Haha! That's what I love about it. Spices things up! It's hilarious to run around a corner then be like "OH ****!" and have to book it out of there and come up with a different strategy.
  8. BigBooty

LULZ! It's too true. Us infantry plebs have cruel MAX and ESF overlords.
  9. AFK1

Every day when I wake up, I think to myself that I would like to play Planetside 2, but when I go to open program, I remember that it's just going to be 15 VS maxes that 1 shot me from anywhere on the map, and I play a different game
  10. Epic High Five

Smoke is free and neuters MAXes

Spam it

hth
  11. Dcrd

Maxes should be nerfed alot or simply remade into another infantry class.
    I was telling it since OBT, that maxes are OP. Don't give me your "They cost resources!" ****, no they don't, they're free. Resources replenish themselves, you don't have to do anything to get them.

The only disadvantage of vehicles and aircrafts is that you can't cap most of the points while staying inside, you can't participate in indoor fights. But maxes can go everywhere infantry can go, you basically have an indoor tank. They also have weapons to counter absolutely everything. If max can fight indoors, it must be possible to kill it 1v1 with any class, as it is now the only class that can kill a max is a HA. (Not talking about bad maxes or C4 ambushes).

Charge is quite annoying too, because staying indoors you can't even run away from it, max will still catch you.

Thing like this should either not be allowed inside any buildings, caves, etc., or shouldn't exist at all?
    • Up x 1
  12. DeadlyPeanutt

Actually one max unit in heavy combat or at a choke point will take two engies and at least one medic taking care of him full time. medic to rez the engies and the max if it goes down. That's three infantry to support one max. Without support, maxes are paper tigers. a couple of rockets or C4 will take down a max. I've taken down an unsported TR max as an engie with a pulsar C along with two medics, firing at once. I think we all were shooting at his head. it was pretty sweet.
  13. Meeka

First, I'll just say this:

You're not supposed to be able to take on MAXes 1v1. This isn't a 1v1 game.

That said, MAXes aren't impervious; I've killed them with Infils and a Commissioner.

If they have a bad K/D as a soldier, the MAX isn't necessarily going to improve it. If they're easy to kill as a soldier, they're generally not that much more difficult to kill as a MAX.

MAX suits are not spammable. They take infantry resources, a lot of them; so you're giving up medical kits, grenades, mines, and C4, etc to pull a MAX. Plus, you're limiting your spawn abilities.

MAXes aren't all that impervious to start with; they're already highly susceptible to C4 and rockets; particularly if they're using Auto-Repair, in which cases C4 and rockets can pretty much insta-kill them.

Also, headshots hurt MAXes too.

[/quote]

There is a mechanic and weapon that shreds MAXes, it's called a MAX. Also, C4 and rockets, they shred MAXes, even with Flak armor.

Ultimately, fights are not always fair or in your advantage. The enemy will pull assets in places that doesn't make sense or seems over kill for the small location..... but, that's how war is sometimes, and you just got to deal with it like a man, or pull back the fight.
    • Up x 1
  14. DeadlyPeanutt

it's possible you could have three engies and a medic or two around the corner. I was working a biolab defense today and there were three or four engies on two maxes in a doorway, so the beams were on them full time. and the medics were healing me pretty much full time (i run full flack armor, but still...). effective combo with lots of certs for everybody.

eventually we lost the lab but i made boocoo certs, and i think the maxes made more than me.
  15. Ghosty11

Going back to a vehicle terminal to recycle your current vehicle and get one with a new load out should have been put in the game along time ago.
    • Up x 1
  16. Echo_Sniper

The problem with MAXes is how survivable they are and the damage output they can dish out in extremely low amounts of time.
    • Up x 1
  17. Radeonman-K

Right of the bat you show your disdain and bias towards MAX suits.

I suppose it wouldn't be out of bounds to mention "Skillpods" or "Skillcraft," then. If I said something to the effect of: Right now people spawn aircraft whenever they are having a bad K/D; would I be wrong? I mean it is a general statement trying to back up my claim of something being "out of control."

Plenty of good open air ground fights have been "ruined" by Pods or Daltons, does that mean we should nerf (even more) them into the ground?

In short, No. As someone who has spent 12d in a Reaver you can understand the use of Aircraft in a combined arms game. Well, MAXs hold an important place in Planetside, I won't claim they couldn't use a tweak though...

Auto Repair is a certification that should be scrapped for MAXs. I use it exclusively when I use a MAX suit and I can honestly say it has no place in the MAX suits role.

MAX suits belong in Infantry combat, they should be soaking up large amounts of damage and dishing it out. They shouldn't be a viable long term solution in a solo situation, allowing a MAX suit to use Auto Repair negates one of the largest disadvantages of the suit.

Here is another good set of points. One of the other balancing measures/disadvantages that was used in Planetside 1 was to force a MAX user to invest a certain amount of his versatility to get a MAX suit. 350 resources does not do that, and the short timers don't help. Also the loadout changes make the MAX suit extremely versatile.

I would be content with a longer timer, or removing the timer reduction and refunding the certs. The timer should be restarted when you change loadouts, and your current loadout should be locked while there is a timer. This would have the effect of making you think before pulling a suit, and once you do your versatility would be punished appropriately.

If you reduce the armor or damage output of a MAX suit, there would be no reason to use them outside of another infantry class. To have a viable MAX suit which plays the important roll of siege breaking / defending (with squad backup) it would have to maintain the ability to effectively kill and survive that which would normally kill a regular class.

All I can say is that MAXs are a very important part of what Planetside is. Yes, I agree it can be annoying to have a good small fight ruined by a MAX (or Tanks, Aircraft ect...) however that's part of the attraction of this game. MAXs should be "overpowering" yet they must lack the endurance of a regular infantry class. To that end I would suggest looking at removing the solo play tools MAXs have: Nanite Auto Repair, limitless Loadout swapping and timer reductions.
  18. Echo_Sniper

Slippery slope argument makes all of your point moot.

I don't think they should nerf both, just one of them, or better yet, make the player decide which, high damage or high survivability. Removing their damage output doesn't make them any less effective, their ability to take huge amounts of damage would already offsets any damage nerf they could take. You can't ignore something that's shooting at you.
  19. Cyrek

Typical NC engagement:
    -"Okay biolab time, get your hacksaw maxes with shields and shotgun infantry out."
    -"Outdoor fight: Everyone go heavy with EM1 and Maxes with Ravens which are exceptional against armor and infantry; mmmm nah not good enough it NEEDS to have LASER GUIDING!, oh yeah and don't forget your shield for it too! "
    Meanwile TR with wobbly firework rockets with REALLY bad falloff, what a joke.
    "How much more balanced would you ask from this game!?" -Higby while he rocks out his dual shotgun max"
  20. Bape

So it OK for me to get farmed my ESF?
    So it OK for me to get farmed by liberators?
    So it OK for me to get farmed by Tanks?
    So it OK for me to get farmed by zerg?

BUT IT NOT OKAY FOR ME TO PULL OUT MY MAX TO COUNTER ALL OF THEM!!!!????