NS-30 Vandal Gunplay Vid

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AgentSpades, Mar 4, 2014.

1. AgentSpades

Full Ammo to zero rounds vid.

Just quick clip, I have others with much longer kill streaks, but this was a pretty quick/decent amount of action in one go. This gun is really fun, but it's definitely scout rifle gun play, not a sniper rifle. Don't understand some of the people who say the gun isn't that great, or the faction specific one is better.

The gun is very fun to play with, with it's .75 ads speed you can lay down alot of down range fire while avoiding incoming fire pretty easily. The vid however personifies what an aggressive short-mid range infiltrator gun should be.
    Just quick clip, I have others with much longer kill streaks, but this was a pretty quick/decent amount of action in one go. This gun is really fun, but it's definitely scout rifle gun play, not a sniper rifle.

PS: The gun makes a nice sound, playing laser tag with people all day as Vanu, you forget to appreciate the sound a nice solid metal bullet.
    • Up x 1
  2. JudgeDeath

One of the best guns in the game in terms of fun and feel.

Its not OP in any category, but its not garbage in any either. Good sounds good look. By changing scopes you can go from 1x to 3,4x to 6x and NV, allowing you to fight at all ranges. Silencer for biolabs where range aint an issue.

Fun and great gun, I propose a raise for the designers behind it.
    • Up x 3
  3. gigastar

The question that should be asked (as a VS player) is;

Is there a reason to get the Vandal instead of the Nyx or the Phantom?
  4. AgentSpades

Phantom is nothing compared to this gun. The Nyx feels similar, minus the ADS speed.

The whole bullet drop thing is completely over rated for the most part in my opinion, especially considering that you aren't ever going to legitimately be long range sniping with this gun anyways.
    • Up x 1
  5. RomulusX

I really really really wish I could use this gun with my LA :(
    • Up x 1
  6. eldarfalcongravtank

i for one hate its "clip" reload. i'd much rather have a nifty magazine reload animation

that said, i agree with the poster above me. i'd have liked this to be an all-class battlerifle. i hardly play infiltrator for the mediumrange role, but that's just me i guess
  7. gigastar

Right, just had a look at the stats and all the Vandal has over the Nyx is .75 ADS (as is standard on all NS weapons) slightly better hipfire (not that it matters on a weapon with this kind of fire rate) and a grand total of 9 extra bullets by default.

Meanwhile, Nyx has a much faster reload and slightly faster bullets.

Both have access to the same attachments, and aside from the typical NS left-bias recoil both weapons feel similar when firing in ADS. After a VR test they both seem to have the same vertical recoil.

In conclusion, both weapons are extremely similar outside of a few minor differences that makes the Vandal better up close. By comparison.

And Nyx is cheaper with certs, so i guess ill get that.
  8. VakarisJ

It's a straight upgrade from the Eidolon battle rifle which is available to heavies and engineers. I'd hardly praise the devs for this -- it would've made more sense for this gun to stay as a weapon available to all classes or at least also available to heavies and engineers.
  9. AgentSpades

Yup, I agree, however I would never trust a Nyx up close however. If you look at the raw numbers, it will appear as a slight upgrade in close quarters, however when I go about my selection process of what I should bring for an aggressive infiltrator that pushes a base, as opposed to sitting in the back/mid field sniping people while sitting remotely stationary, then the Vandal is definitely the way to go.

By uncloaking mid field and moving at a 45 degree angle forward while firing, it is hard for an enemy to hit you accurately with auto fire, while you are throwing metaphorical curve balls at their head the entire time. The long short of it all, get a Nyx if you like more stationary firing, go Vandal if you want quick rapid fire/move firing.
  10. AgentSpades

I wouldn't say a straight upgrade per say. The battle rifle can throw down alot more "accurate" fire power down range while stationary. I feel like the BR is the mature older brother, the Nyx is the middle child, and the Vandal is the young hoodlum kid.
  11. ZeroErrorz

so if what the vandal lacked compared to the es semi auto scouts (nyx/hsr-1/shadow) (my guess would be velocity)
    if nothing then its a full upgrade to the es semi auto scout
  12. AgentSpades

And reload time.
  13. ZeroErrorz

is it alot slower,or just a bit slower...
    EDIT: waiit... in the previous post you said it have faster reloading, ur being inconsistent, since i asked what it lacked...
  14. ZeroErrorz

this sound funny for me somewhat, a scout rifle thats meant for "scout" is better at doing the "battle" part of battle rifle lol
  15. AgentSpades

16. Ravenorth

As a Phantom user I dont really see any reason pick Vandal over it, only things it does better are mag zise, hipfire and ADS movement speed, but if you know how to play Phantom can be just as much effective on any range and even better, because of higher damage. With no bullet drop you can easily take out people even on the most extreme ranges.

For me Vandal seems to be just a downgrade that is easier to use, just like Nyx, which is the reason people are more likely to pick them.
  17. AgentSpades

I have a Phantom and a Vandal, and it's interesting that we have a different perspective on this. I say that, because I feel that the Phantom is a diet coke sniper rifle, where as the Vandal is a more push with the infantry line gun. (which is unique to the infiltrator class, as the SMG is the closest thing one can get to that sort of play style, however the SMG usually presses the Infiltrator to get relatively close to the enemy).

Close quarters you are doomed with a Phantom, or this is how I feel atleast. Where as close quarters with a Vandal, I have a coin toss pending on the target on whether or not I can down him.

If everyone is to argue that getting kills = doing the job well, then I can see how the Phantom can be more up someones alley. If you were to rewind the clip I posted and replaced it with a Phantom, I wouldn't have been able to pull off a few of those kills with it. Just my 2 cents however. A Vandal handles well in "under fire" conditions, where as with the Phantom I generally feel exposed and resort to a sudo bolt action play style.
    • Up x 1
  18. Psykmoe

Moving and strafing means getting hit less. The Semi-automatic scout rifles have the highest ADS accuracy *while moving* of any gun the infiltrator gets. The Vandal lets you move at 0.75x ADS speed.

Sounds great to me.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ravenorth

With total 56 kills with said weapon I dont think your knowledge is enough viable to truly understand its capabilities when comparing it to other weapons. While I havent used Vandal in real combat, but I found its handling, accuracy and fire rate being pretty identical with Nyx, which also applies to the damage, so I can use that knowledge pretty well to evaluate its combat capabilities. It does have few more bullets on the mag and better hipfire and ADS movement speed, which makes it a bit better at cqc, but the lack of no bullet drop and lower velocity also makes it a bit less viable on longer ranges.

Its all about how you can utilize the weapons strong and weak points to work seamlessly together for you, I´ve been using Phantom since the launch and got about 10 000+ kills with it, so I´ve learned use it effectively pretty much on all ranges, even at cqc. I do agree its harder and requires more skill, because you cant use hipfire, but its not that big deal once you get used to it.

But being good at cqc is not the reason why I use Phantom, its because its the most effective medium range weapon in the game for me, while still being enough viable at closer ranges if you have the skill. With the higher damage you can more reliably take down all targets quickly, even nanoweave users, which are the biggest threat for all semi-automatic weapons in this game, especially at closer ranges.

But in the end its all about how you play, Vandal works for you because you like taking more risks and being more aggressive, while I focus on being more patient and trying keep the right distance to the enemies to have constantly the upper hand against them.

So I understand the reasons why you prefer Vandal.
  20. AgentSpades

Ya, I didn't say I was an expert with the Phantom, nor did I say the Phantom was a "better" gun. Was simply saying what you have already stated. Vandal works for you because you like taking more risks and being more aggressive, while I focus on being more patient and trying keep the right distance to the enemies