Vehicles only render out to 600 meters.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jaedrik, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jaedrik

Yep. After that they just vanish, like infantry after 300 meters.
    But I'm still hot on that AV turret being too good, and previous exaggerations were well meant. 600M is a long ways regardless.
    As for a source, lolidunno.
    Do you have sources for 800+?!??!/1/1/!?1/1?
    I have it on good faith from a good friend who is smart and stuff.
    I am also going to bed. Goodnight.
  2. Jaedrik

Bump 'cuz not enough people saw this revelation fact.
    Also, unwarranted hyperbole needs to die in a fire.
  3. kadney

If I remember right, the renderdistance depends on people within a specific area. At least it was like this quiet a while ago. Not sure if they changed it. Means, if there are only a few people around you, you can see further than with 200 people around you. If you try to test it, take care of equal conditions.
    • Up x 1
  4. deggy

Vehicles render out much farther than that, I've gotten kills at 800 meters with my tank.
    • Up x 2
  5. VakarisJ

Infantry render distance is 300, vehicle render distance is 600. I thought it was a well-known fact...
  6. lothbrook

No, this is wrong, they disappear at about 850-900 meters, its really easy to check and not rely on your ******** friends.
  7. Copasetic

Render distance depends on how much is going on around you, the only thing that's constant is that vehicles always render further than infantry. So if you want to test the maximum range find a friend and go to a completely empty area of the map.
    • Up x 1
  8. Phazaar

Render distance... Is relative...

Mind=blown, right?

It seems to bottom out at around 500m (which if flying at 100m/s, with a few seconds lag on loading people in an area = 0m CRASH PAHAHAHAA etc -_- ) when there's a ******** of vehicles, or top out past the 900m mark.
  9. Cougarbrit

It depends on the population in your proximity. If it's just you and another dude in your proximity, vehicles will render out almsot as far as 1km. If there's a massof zerg you're a part of, vehicles might not even render beyond 300m. Better than infantry still though who can start rendering at around 50m or less in said zergs.

This inflates the render problems between infantry and vehicles as say, a pair of AV MANA turrets sat away on a cliff somewhere with no other fights nearby can snipe vehicles in a zerg battle with ease, but for vehicles within that zerg, the turrets will not render for possibly another 500m, give or take a couple hundred, I haven't performed tests because I don't have a few hundred players to use as willing guinea pigs.

There's also priorities to the rendering of vehicles, air vehicles are typically the highest priority in my experience, followed by sunderers, MBTs, lightnings (including skyguards), harassers, flashes, turrets (including base turrets) in that order. In my experience. That's one of the reasons why "invisible flak" is an extremely common complaint amongst many pilots, as is "invisible AV turrets" (both MANA and Spears) for tankers.
    • Up x 1
  10. AssaultPig

max render distance for vehicles iirc is a thousand meters; this is why you can see stuff rolling into TI alloys from the western cliff at the crown.

the problem is that not everything within max distance actually renders. The server decides what to show you based on what it thinks is most important, which seems to mean sunderers, MBTs and aircraft most of the time. This means that a lot of the time MANA turrets don't render in high-density situations, even though practically speaking they're the only 'vehicle' that's an immediate threat beyond 300m or so.

plus they're really small, so you probably can't return fire at 500+m even if you can see them
  11. LordCreepy

As a frequent deploy user - trust me it's much more than 600m under ideal circumstances