Its 2845 And We Still Use Mostly Solid Projectiles!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nulgath, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Nulgath

I don't mean it bad and I don't mean to insult anyone but, Im just wondering why, I mean we terraformed a planet and then went to war but still shoot solid projectiles,Where is the lazers, pulse weapons, photonic projectiles, Push-Force Explosives, AND Mostly About The Graphics, when will this game get a graphics update to destruction and physics,Because SOE wants to keep it runnin till 2025+?
    • Up x 1
  2. Armchair

It is 2014 and we still issue knives!
    • Up x 9
  3. Cromell

In 2457 it turned out that energy weapons require users to wear spandex clothes. Majority of the population decided they're better off with projectile weaponry, others hid in their basements and founded Vanoo Society, later renamed to Vanu Sovereignity when they realized the first name was silly for a faction taking part in a war.

knowyourlore.jpg
    • Up x 20
  4. Cinnamon

VS mostly use plasma which isn't a solid.

I suppose you are wondering why energy beams are not being used more. Lasers and things like that have a lot of practical problems and are sort of retro. They would also be a hitscan weapon in this game and people would rightly think that was watering down gameplay.
  5. Tylerso12

Go VS if you want laz0rs
    • Up x 1
  6. KnightCole

Because just like how in Vietnam the US whoever wanted to remove guns off their planes, and did so to their detriment, there is always the instance where your gun just doesnt work and you need to get in close and "dogfight". Or in the case of PS2 infantry, melee the guy in the face....Knives work wonders for that lol.
  7. KnightCole

But....I dont feel as if I am firing lazors, more like those little peg things for kids that light up...not sure the name, but thats always what comes to mind...

These things?

[IMG]

Or else christmas lights?

NC is the only faction which I can take seriously when I fire.
  8. Tommyp2006

[IMG]
    The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
    • Up x 23
  9. Lancener

This is basically the VS ideology, TR and NC are holding back technological progress... More lasers!
    • Up x 2
  10. ZeroErrorz

maybe the proper question is, Its nearly 30TH CENTURY and aircraft safety issue is watered down
    u know the things that could help the planes safer and much functional like
    -EJECTION SEAT (u must bring your own, or buy one for ur plane)
    -fire suppresion (compared to the current airlines safety that require a transport aircraft to have a fire exthinguiser, a galaxy must buy one)
    -flare (how hard is it to throw a burned paper out of your cockpit, guess what they doesnt allow that since our cocpit DONT HAVE A DOOR/openable hatch as the current fighter jets)
    -radar (u are given a gps that could see everything except the enemy,the normal radar will bounce off EVERYTHING from un even terrain to an infantry)

and really if anyone wants to compare what our "aircraft" "safety" felt like i tell you, A LIVE BOAT/SOMETHING FROM WW1/A DRUG LORD SUBMARINE which have no safety at all that only serve the function of AS LONG ITS FLOATING and keeping someone alive IF NOTHING HAPPEN TO IT, and guess what the fact IF NOTHING HAPPEN TO IT its not applicable to a vehicle THAT MADE TO HAVE SOMETHING (gun fire,missile lock,need for emergency bail), and really when the lore said that all vehicle was replaced with CHEAP NANITE MADE :eek: vehicle i never expected they are going to be THIS CHEAP :eek: and guess what the reasoning behind this BALANCE, heloo this is a friggen war any country thats willing to to it properly wont arm its soldiers with glass cannon vehicle.
  11. DevDevBooday

Funniest part about VS, "TECHNOLOGY EQUALS MIGHT unless its a superior downgrade like NS lol"
  12. Tylerso12

I was expecting all factions to use laz0rs when I first played this game. But then I noticed only 1 did.
  13. EmmettLBrown

We still wear shoes too. This future is intolerable!
    • Up x 1
  14. FocusLight

Physics update, you will have to ask SOE.

As for the issue with tech, I always found the Future=Lazors an annoying trope. So what if it's the year 2845? Why stop using what works so well? The TR believes just that; there is no need to fix what is not broken. Projectile weapons are a simple, practical, highly functional and deadly weapons tech and we have proven that over centuries of refinement and warfare. Top of that, NC utilize Ghauss tech, coil-guns and the like. Technically "projectile weapons" as well as they fire solid ammunition. The VS use Plasma tech mostly, delivered in a variety of ways. If you want to use energy-weapons, feel free to play VS.
    • Up x 1
  15. Moisture

Makes sense.
    It could still be the most energy efficient way of delivering force to a target in 300 years.
    We COULD make a laser gun today but it would not be as efficient.

We look today at the US military and they are largely using designs from the 80s with a few modern bells and whistles.
    Wasn't the M16 designed in the late 50s? and every solider you see on TV is still using a updated version of its basic design today.

At least the NC use Gauss technology. Its the TR that seemingly still use 19th century style bullets.
    But I could be wrong. I know nothing of the TRs lore.
  16. Gustavo M

It's 2845 and we still die like it's 2014!
    • Up x 2
  17. Spectre 694

Well Solid projectiles carry more energy and are way more... compact. They are also self-contained. Solid projectiles just are more efficient and more precise than liquid or gas or directed energy weapons.

What are Push-Force explosives btw?
  18. Hatesphere

hell you can still buy a hand gun today that hasn't really changed for the last 103 years.

the fact is projectiles really are one of the better ways to transfer energy to a target. lasers are just electric blast furnaces that produce coherent light as a byproduct.
  19. Hatesphere

I assume he means something that produces a slower more powerfull blast wave maybe? like thermobarics perhaps?
  20. Nulgath

You can look at Push-Force Explosives as something that blows away tanks and soldiers but not really killing them.