Phaseshift - actual users observations so far

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by BloodyPuma, Feb 27, 2014.

1. EvilMindedSquirrel

Nope, tested it. When you charge, then cloak, your weapon will still 'shake' as if is is charging, but it is not. The shaking is probably just an animation glitch.

I personally like the rifle. BUT it is only my personal preference, i can understand the improvements that have been said here.
    More scope options would hardly unbalance anything and should defensibly be offered.
    Increasing damage at range would also be nice, and given that this is what the rifle is supposed to be used at it might be a good idea.

It is true that you are a sitting purple duck when charging, big bummer, but a nice challenge. Contrary to what most people might think this makes it a very interesting option for counter-sniping. Once i know more or less where an enemy cloaked sniper is hanging out I aim more or less at the right spot, decloak and start charging, when the enemy sniper decloaks (aka takes the bait) i am almost fully charged and get a OHK. Feels good.
    The charge in other situations is hard to use and there have been a number of times when I missed a shot because of the delay. Then again, I am really bad not the best at leading targets, so this is often a moot point for me. At range you really have to wait for a stationary target (heavy aiming a rocket, snipers, medics, engineers); know where a person will stop for a second before the do; or train a heck of a lo.
    The infinite ammo is something i really like. It happens a lot when I flank and am behind the line and not an engi in sight. Even if i would not run out of ammo in a certain situation it is nice to know that i do not have to worry about it.

As I said the changed mentioned here and other places are good, but some might make this weapon OP. As it is right now I do not think it is the best sniper rifle (semi or bolt), nor is it the best choice for everyone.
  2. Gundem

Ultra-Low quality lyfe brah, Ultra-Low.

Do you still have problems with your FPS? What's your render quality at? I used to get around 40FPS in WG, but since then I've manually adjusted my Render Quality down to 33% and now I'm at a comfortable 65FPS in WG.
  3. BloodyPuma

Im on 75% render quality :) During week time im using 17.4 laptop - I cant force myself to go any lower - I simply stop seeing people beyond 100 meters - everything becomes colorful pizza. During weekend when I sit on my kids rig with 100% quality - its like different world. So shapr, so visible :)

My FPS are between 60 fps downto 8 fps. All depends on the patch. As of now - im sitting on 26-60.
  4. Dramma Lamma

Oh, hmm guess I didn't look to hard on my TR guy then.

Seemed effective with short range ones so I slapped them on.

Either way SOE payed a lot more attention to the usable ranges of the TR gun and gave them appropriate sights.
  5. DxAdder

Well I gave it a whirl on Live Servers and it preformed ok.

A few thing that I didn't like:

The charge up delay + scope sway and trying to hit a moving target will take some practice, the low bullet velocity
    doesn't help this.

Semi-auto mode is good for long range fire, the lack of a 4x or lower no sway scope really hurts the semi-auto mode.

Overall its an ok weapon but I won't be buying it.
  6. Daibar

been testing for the past 20 mins or so and i see some of the same issues that you've mentioned earlier in the thread.

i was all hyped about the heat-displacement-infinite-ammo-with-cooldown, with the cost of the idea of a bolt action like on a charge, wow what a letdown.

i was thinking okay, charge up, slightly lead your target, fire, dead target... turns out.. 200 meters and above and you got a wonderful 3 second visible picture to show your enemy. because death does not occur upon headshot, they were right to place this in the semi-automatic section but they shouldn't try to sell it as an almost-Bolt-action when charged, because it is not. unless very close and even then you're luck if you make the shot.

Compared to the Parallax it was a huge letdown, i'd rather go hunting for enemy ammo packs at the nearby enemy base with my parallax than buy this weapon as it exists now.

parallax, never fear, you will remain my go-to-sniper rifle for 300 meter kills.
  7. Cobra Commander

4X scope with no sway and it might be okay...honestly as it is, I think it's garbage and wish I hadn't spent the SC on it. I gave it a side by side comparison with the Parallax and Ghost in various situations and it didn't hold up in any of them...and I haven't even used the Ghost much recently and was tearing it up...seriously, Ghost with 3.4 Dot sight is unreal when you get used to it. Definitely get it before this crappy unfinished feeling thing.
  8. Saool

I've only messed around in VR with this. At first the very idea of a charge up sniper rifle seemed a joke. However in practice it was not bad. Here is the key point for me:

You only have to charge it very slightly for a OSK.

This means there is not much of a speed difference between it and say a V10. But what it does give you is flexibility. A few fully powered head shots to a max will, i suspect, have them running. What I did not check was if you could do a OSK to the torso with a fully powered shot.

It seems like the sort of weapon you pull for dedicated sniping in a good nest.

Down sides: it's noisy as hell. It's butt ugly.
  9. Dcrd

So, it's possbile to quickly 2 shot people without headshots, which is nice, and is the only advantage of this gun. After this you're forced to wait or reload, since weapon is overheated, so if you're having a midrange fight against more then one opponent you'll lose unless they have I-limb instead of hands and an IQ below 60.

Strong disadvantage of this weapon is very slow fire rate, it's like 3 times slower then spectre while requiring the same number of shots to kill someone, there is absolutely no reason to use this gun as a fast semi auto - either 2 bolt action bodyshots which will force overheating, or bolt action playstyle. It seems like it's not even designed to be used as a fast semi auto without charging it which can be seen by it's horrific animation when shooting in the "semi auto" style.

No bullet drop could make this weapon useful on bigger ranges, but it's super low bullet speed and no OHKs past 200m make it useless at long ranges, since even AFK people won't die to a headshot and you won't be able to reliably put 2 BA shots into someone with this slow bullets, at ranges below 200m bullet drop is a nonfactor.

Close range this weapon means you're dead since hipfire accuracy is nonexistant, no one will let you let out to BA shots as this will require like 1.5-2 seconds, the only way to win is to headshot right away, which can be done with parallax just as well if you're skilled as fk.

And yeah I'm not even trying a silencer for this gun, it's rounds feel much slower then spectre's, with silencer it will be faster to come to a guy and knife him. Vandal is even slower, but it's fine since this gun is desinged for closer ranges and is actually perfect for it, description says it has 0.9 chamber time against spectre's 0.85, but I'm sure it shoots much faster then that.

Overall:

+Atleast this is something new, that's good, that's fun (tired of running with one ***** gun with one ***** forward grip for like 2 years already)
    +Looks nice, sounds nice
    +You don't need to compensate for bullet drop (tho if you would need to do so with parallax in the same situation you won't ohk anyone anyway)
    +You can sit on a tree forever and shoot AFK people with a silencer on.
    -This tree must be 200m or closer to your farm spot
    -You'll never hit anything that doesn't move in a straight line or stand still further than 50m.
    -You'll never win a CQC fight with that.
    -You basically have a 2 bullet clip (muh infinite ammo, lol)

Total score: Spectre is still better/10
  10. Hexodious

Been running around with the Phaseshift (Silencer, 10x Scope and Forward Grip), did a lot of behind enemy lines stuff today. Getting used to the low velocity and am starting to get the lead on running targets now (although its mostly body shots at the moment). While the most effective range for this weapon is 200m I've found its still pretty formidable in the 200+ bracket as well.

The charge time is really quick, and can easily fire both shots off within one breath and allowing for recoil.

I especially like being able to just point and click Double HS Kill Engineers at 420m on turrets, fire both shots, the first won't land until you've already fired the second (with silencer and x10 or x12 scope).

I have been canceling my charges with the knife at the moment if I mess up my line or am worried someone will spot me.
  11. Lafladitu

you can cancel the charge by cloaking. but you need to cloak 1 sec before the charge fire on it's own. kinda sad that we have to do this to prevent revealing ourself.
  12. zaspacer

You can cancel the charge without firing by either using your Knife (as Hexodious said), by cloaking (as Lafladitu said), by switching to your Secondary weapon, by switching to your Utility, by Switching to your Tool, or by throwing a Grenade. In order to keep from using your Secondary/Utility/Tool, you must let go of the mouse button while it is still equipping them. This works for the Lancer too.
  13. BloodyPuma

So we are using bug/dev omitment to bypass weapon designed limitation? Thats cheap man.
    I would rather have devs to tweak this weapon.
    • Up x 2
  14. zaspacer

Dude, I have been using bug/dev omitment to bypass the widening, massive chasm of unsupported basic, coherent gameplay since launch. Devs have not been a reliable source of gameplay resolution... ever. Players most reliable method is to find workarounds within the existing game to resolve their issues.
    • Up x 1
  15. XDDante

yes this weapon is serious need of a change,either remove charge mechanic or let vanu snipers charge while cloaked,bought for my vanu alt so sad to use this weapon :/ not even semi-fire shots are practical to kill someone XD
  16. Haya jii san

"Fixed it for ya" ^^
    BloodyPuma, has laid it down as precisely as it gets. Exactly my thoughts on this matter;
    At it's current implementation there is NO reason for me to buy this. Same case with Lancer on it's release, this weapon lacks performance. On top of that, personally, currently it lacks orientation as well.
    Phaseshift looks like an all-arouder, failing in all fields available. Vandal on the other hand, along with rest scout rifles are .. yummy :)

ps : Proud to have OP (BloodyPuma) as my fellow outfit member <3
    ps_2 : Iron Pulse - Woodman EU, for the ones wondering ...
    • Up x 2
  17. Vanon

From an NC stand point, i've never been killed by the phase shift. Infact i've only seen 1 or 2 people using it. When a new gun, that looks good is released, and almost no one uses it, it's a pretty clear sign that the gun is weak. I don't know if it's a coding rabbit hole or not, but i don't see why they didn't give it atleast get 600 Velocity and the ability to charge while cloaked. You still have to juggle all the variables with sniping. Adding another like charge on a weapon designed to use at shorter ranges, yet with huge scopes is like playing russian roulette. There is no room for error, and error is death. It's one of two weapons in the game that actually hurt cloak, as you can't charge while cloaked, it removes a huge advantage for a sniper and leaves it with a sub par weapon dispite this.
  18. Maelthra

Well, I've killed some NC with the Phaseshift, so don't you worry your NC head about NC not dying to the Phaseshift! Granted, I only have like 12 kills with it, but I haven't been trying to use it much to begin with.
  19. RockPlanetSide2

The only way the Phase will not be a worthless joke is that if you can hold the final charge forever until you want to fire.

If you are simply using it as a bad, semi auto sniper then that's on you and you can make up facts to justify why you do that I guess.

As is, it is an unusable weapon that should be abandoned after you get the AUX for it.

In actual combat, nobody but the most worthless of players is going to stand still long enough for you to actually get a proper shot off, and there is no way that the best player in the game can judge a final charged shot and random player movement before the shot just goes off.
  20. ShumaKun

I tested suppressor and it OHK up to 185m.

You can stop charge shot with knife swing.
    I am not really a good sniper, but I had a lot of practice with VS slugguns when they didn't have bullet drop and phaseshift works for me well, because I'm used to even slower bullet speed.
    Two things I would like to see:
    • less recoil
    • low zoom scopes