I beg you to remove KD so we can see what the game is like when everyone plays it

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paperlamp, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Shadowhunter1

report the TKer's for harrasment, but I think if you TK 1 person, you need a 5 min weapon lock. that is the only way to stop TKing. Allow the TKer's to only use tools ( Medgun, engineer gun, dart gun) so that way it forces them to help the group after they just hurt it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nasher

People actually pay attention to stats? I don't think I've read a single player's state since I started playing the game (since closed beta), that includes on death screens.

I agree the punishment needs to be much harsher for TKing though, more like it was in PS1. Plus certain things should get you an instant weapon lock, like destroying friendly vehicles or killing the same friendly player(s) multiple times.
  3. SinerAthin

I think the actual number is akin to 30-40% of my total shots. I waste a LOT of bullets that way.
    It is my philosophy that the more I shoot at imaginary targets, the more I'm actually likely to hit when someone actually shows up.

I'm not in that many fights on my Heavy, vs say my ESF.
  4. Flapatax

We tend to recruit people who practice on actual players, so the judgement would stand.
    • Up x 1
  5. Baconite

Thanks Liberty and Possee for the free analysis. And are you wizards? You pretty much nailed my playstyle based on numbers alone: Lone wolf hyper aggressive LA player that doesn't look both ways before crossing the street/rooftops. I'll work on it. :D
    • Up x 2
  6. Sock

That's our point, stats only matter to the individual if they want them to, but we can still use them to paint a pretty good picture of any player. Keep fighting the good fight.
    • Up x 1
  7. CaptHaddock

I enjoyed this thread, I use the DA site however I never looked at some of the stats mentioned. Now that I know what they mean/represent, some good insight into tweaks I can make
    • Up x 4
  8. BillBoBaggins

Love this idea.
    • Up x 1
  9. Liberty

Yeah I didn't touch much on the ESF/Tank stuff as I said we usually look to infantry stats as we are an infantry centric outfit. And don't get me wrong, I get what you are saying. My TR character who was well into the 80's before the VR training room came around spent a lot of time "learning" the game by shooting at walls and figuring out recoil patterns, bloom, etc etc. It was my first PvP oriented shooter in about a decade and things had changed quite a bit (gameplay and gunplay wise) from the games I was used to.

As I said, and Ender mentioned stats give you a preliminary glance into a players performance / behavior. There are obviously things at work that create a more complicated / comprehensive picture of what they are capable of but honestly, the stats create a solid baseline, to the point where I am confident in saying :
    "Of the people who we have recently trialed, none have really had any surprises performance wise when getting to play with them in game based on what we saw from their stat page. "

Granted, players will improve, some simply don't care about maintaining stats like accuracy, and starting fresh vs. a character you learned the game on will generally produce better results. Things like this get taken into account when we look into a player.

This game definitely has walls like that, I went from being a 5.5 player to a 7.5 as a result of the OMFG patch. Things like hardware and connection is why there is no universal "good" number to hit for K/D (aside from above 1.0) Its more about what you can do with what you have and each person is pretty much responsible for setting their own goals.

And thanks! It was a very unepic "Knife a random heavy in the middle of a streak" As I wasn't paying attention to my score.
  10. OldMaster80

I would not remove K/D, I'd just leave it for the website and put it a little in the background.

But the biggest issue is experience: players focus more on farming kills than capturing and defending because this gives the more XP. In order to promote objective-driven gameplay devs should:
    - Decrease XP coming from kills and increase XP coming from bases capture / defense.
    - Make XP dynamic so that it's adjusted according to ratio between attackers and defenders. A 90% steamrolling 10% enemies should take little XP, while a 10% defending against 90% should receive a huge reward.
    - Introduce players missions ASAP.
  11. bPostal

Your accuracy is also probably lowered by suppressing, rather than destroying, enemy targets. Althugh, I don't mind that personally!
  12. Revanmug

If only more people would understand that simple truth.
    Maybe DA need to give more free Character analysis to change people's mind on the subject. Live free support on the stats.DA site yeeeaaahh.
    • Up x 2
  13. Liberty

We tried doing this, but Mpal always wanted to man the phones and ended up chasing everyone away. :(
    • Up x 1
  14. mblades

This is dumb why should people who do enjoy looking at overall KD be punished because some people dont want it?

When I play TR I dont care about KD its nice to see every now and then but I dont worry about it. When I play NC I only care about KD now taking away KD would make me not play any other factions and honestly KD only matters to those who really want it to matter.

Also It wont change much other than people complaining at the fact they cant see their overall KD ratios

Still like someone else said before people hate dying. Honestly if a spawn room get shelled/dalton from multiple directions KD or not not many people will want to run out of that spawn room.
  15. Iridar51

So there are these two MOBA games, Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends.

HoN has persistent stats system, and anyone can see your KDR, xp/min, gold/min and lots of other stuff. Stats can be browsed very conveniently from within the game.

League of Legends tracks absolutely no stats except your total amount of kills and victories, and I don't think other people can see them. Defeats and deaths are not tracked in any way. There is a third party software to record this kind of stuff for yourself, but I've never seen it mentioned in the game.

LoL has mostly friendly community. People try to work together and count on each other, they know usual hero setups and pick them accordingly. Of course, if you will die a lot (i.e. feed enemy with resources), team will complain. But only because you're making the game harder to win.

HoN's community is very toxic, and almost every game is filled with endless debates on "whose stats are cooler". Instead of going for the objective (destroying enemy base) people do KDR whoring: run away in dangerous situations instead of helping an ally, but rush in to gang up on a lone enemy, and everyone is trying to get the last hit to get the kill. If they don't, they complain that their kill was stolen, and sometimes even leave the game, which is a problem for a 5 v 5 matched game.

I've played both games quite extensively, and while I'm starting to really hate some of the LoL's flaws, its no-stat-tracking policy and friendly community are ways ahead of the HoN's.

I don't know what PlanetSide 2 intends to do with itself, but if it has any expectations of people going for the objectives, almost all stats need to be removed.
  16. BlakeA

Unless of course you a cloaked infiltrator running into a room with c4 on YOUR back! Boom!
  17. Posse

You're welcome, and that's exactly what we've been saying for months, KDR alone doesn't mean anything, but give me your stats sheet and I can say what kind of infantry player you are with a very good precision. Good luck with it :D

You only have to ask :p

(though if it gets popularity I might start asking for a few dollars, dollars have a lot of value in my third world country :D)
  18. BlakeA

On the other hand, a small organized group can have fewer kills then the enemy but still capture a base from a larger force. We can all play the game differently as long as we're having fun right?

Please do add teamwork stats to the current session scoreboard.
  19. Revanmug

What?! LoL is known to have one of the worst community. You don't even have to try to find that out.
  20. Iridar51

Be fair and compare to the games of the same genre. If you take into account only MOBA games, LoL has the best community by far. The toxicity of all the MOBA communities is caused by very high entry skill level, a player has to accumulate an immense amount of information and experience to play the game properly, while his teammates suffer the company of a newbie.