Game will freeze, black screen, then run normally again

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by XiloTheOdd, Feb 16, 2014.

1. XiloTheOdd

its the damnedest thing, i thought it might be the Shadowplay feature on my card but having that completely disabled i still have this issue.

Audio continues while this is happening in both teamspeak, steam and other background apps and the issue resolves itself but its very annoying when in mid combat you suddenly dont know what your doing and have no power over your actions. i hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this issue soon.

for my build http://imgur.com/8HFynuv
    and the HDD arent a raided together they remain individual, one drive is my OS and non gaming applications the other is dedicated to Games, movies, and Backed up files.
    • Up x 1
  2. Mastachief

This is happening to around 40% of my outfit (25or so people), along with the normal fps stutter/hitch thats getting people killed (around 90% of my outfit)

Started around the esf update and has gotten worse each week.
  3. XiloTheOdd

man really? that sucks. i hope none of em are pro fliers cause thats the last place i'd wanna be when it happens.

im just glad its not my graphics card buggin out.
  4. Mastachief

Our pro fliers have:

Resorted to groundpounding
    Significantly reduced their play time
    Stopped playing all together

I flew into canyon walls twice today from it but i'm no pro.
  5. XiloTheOdd

lol me either. i would not trust me in a Lib thats for sure.
  6. XiloTheOdd

looking into the issue further, its actually crashing my GPU. and before anyone says check drivers i swear to god...

im on the latest non beta. it did not resolve the issue. the issue is the game. please fix it SOE. all the best.
  7. BlackDove

It does it even with the 314.22's which are known to be some of the most stable. It's since PU2. Does your sound glitch when you get the black screen?
  8. Vodski

9. AltF4Fun

Have exacly the same problem,thought my grapics card would die but guess not. Did it overheat and on the highest spikes the black screen appears or what?Sure wont risk to trash my card till thats fixed.
  10. shadouac

Had same problem. Reverting to January drivers fixed it.
  11. Nepau

It seems related to the most recent NVidia drivers (Beta, and now live). The black screen your getting is the Video drivers crashing and getting restored.

For me if I revert to the last Stable driver before the current live I believe that the issue will be resolved, atleast until ether Nvidia or SOE manages to fix the issue on their end.

For myself the Last Drivers that I used before the issue Was the 332.21 Version. I Noticed the issue after the Beta, and now live driver as I updated to try to get the Shadowplay Plugin with my OBS working.
  12. Rougen

I've had the same rubbish on and off, I had a crazy black screen, then it goes back to the game, then black screen and got stuck in a continuous loop with the last updates.

I also had lock ups and CTD's. The latest nvidia drivers I haven't had the black screen thing but lock ups.

Looking through the logs the display driver does not stop functioning or have any issues. The client doesn't like something, but what it is who knows.

I just posted saying that I am fed up with buttoning my machine now, I just give up with either the servers always being down in EU prime time or the game dying three to four times a night when I do eventually play.
  13. BlackDove

• Up x 1
  14. NaySayer

Happens to me as well. It's really getting annoying, I was just starting to get back into ps2 after a 1 yearish hiatus. Feels like nothing changed much :(
  15. XiloTheOdd

i thought maybe in the last 3 fixes we'd see the issue resolved. i can see my faith in a big company has once again bit me in the ***.

cmon sony.
  16. user101

Nope - game has a video bug.. I run the 331.82 is the most stable driver Nivida produced for the GTX's and I run the PhysX 1220 both work great together. Switch to infiltrator changed cloaks and CTD. Ran 3 hours before that and no CTD. I have not done a CTD in more than an month.
  17. Shamrock

This has just started happening to me, currently running old 331.65 drivers on a GTX770 and i5.
  18. BlackDove

If you check your GPU usage, it goes to 100% usage while this happens. Normally, even in power virus conditions in the menu, the reported utilization is only about 50% for me, since I have my GPU underclocked by 20-30% when playing PS2(because the game behaves like a power virus, overheating the GPU for no apparent reason).

The 100% usage when the black screen occurs can be checked with a lot of programs. Process Explorer by Microsoft Sysinternals is good. Since about Feb 23, GPU heating has been worse than usual, and I've had to underclock it from 80% to 70%. This thing with the drivers crashing and GPU loading to 100% is REALLY making me not want to play. This game has been overheating peoples' computers since launch, but this is worse than ever!
  19. Raneados

It's not specifically the game. It's an error between the driver (and the GPU) and the game. The issue is the GPU crashing and restarting itself. That is the freeze (crash) and the black screen (GPU resets).

314.22 seems very out of date. On a 660, reverting from 334.89 to 332.21 has fixed the issue for me.
    • Up x 1
  20. BlackDove

332.21 was very buggy for a lot of people too. Lots of blue screens.

331.65 was the most stable new driver I tried, but it gave me no performance advantage, so I've decided to go back to the most stable ones for me, which are the 314.22's.

The game has serious memory issues.