Simple observation about prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IamDH, Feb 19, 2014.

1. IamDH

AKA the fastest tank ingame. Here we go:

Whats the point of having the fastest tank if you have to come to a complete stop to shoot something? I dont think the prowler is too weak or anything but i'm right....right?
    • Up x 5
  2. vsae

Yes you are, my woodman fella.
  3. Hatesphere

IMO adding some form of gun stabilization to all armor would greatly improve battles.
    • Up x 3
  4. kadney

Turret stabilisation and rangefinder would be awesome.. :oops:
  5. DevDevBooday

A decent ES secondary would be good.... :(
    • Up x 3
  6. FateJH

Something something about the TR standing their ground.
  7. Craftyman

so'z u kan shoot 'em in da back
    • Up x 2
  8. IamDH

The problem with doing that is the lamerider would indirectly be nerfed and people will whine about that
    I said the prowler wasnt weak. Speaking of standing ground...........I guess i have... locked down....

True
    • Up x 1
  9. Angry Scientist

So you have the best speed and DPS when you need to move and you have double that DPS when you're stationary.

That's why. The endless complaining grates on my nerves. The prowler is highest scoring nearly universally and then you have the nerve to ask for buffs.
  10. ChrisGrizzly

We aren't asking for buffs. We are asking for tanks that don't suck for tank vs tank or tank vs aircraft. You AV turret can hit me when I can't even render you. By the time I've undeployed you and your pals have put 4 missiles into me. Usually resulting me death.
    • Up x 3
  11. libbmaster

Gun stabilization should not be a special distinguishing characteristic. All MBT's and lightnings especially should have stabs.

Swagrider needs a reason to stand out, but that reason should not be the presence of a basic piece of hardware.
    • Up x 3
  12. Masterofm

I'd love to see the stats on this. You have the stats right?
  13. deggy

How is that relevant to tank-vs-tank or tank-vs-aircraft?
  14. starlinvf

I saw this pointed out in another thread, and I think it speaks mountains about the design in general. The Prowler is a Siege tank, and an absolute beast of an ambush vehicle. The high top speed is to aid moving into positions quickly, where they can anchor down or move in from off angles. The Vulcan only seems counter intuitive "now" because giving it high alpha, or long range makes it incredibly hard to balance the rest of the tank with its long range.

The Magrider is a strafing (hit and run) tank, which can take advantage of its high mobility to maneuver into good attack positions and utilize terrain for cover. The Saron plays into this with its ability for high alpha in a narrow window of opportunity.

The Vanguard is an actual Slugger tank. The tough front armor, shields, and sustained damage from the Enforcer encourages line formations for solid pushes, or attempt to draw enemies into a shorter range battle. The only problem here is that the other 2 tanks expect to be just as good in this situation, yet still capitalize on their alternate strategies.

I don't understand why the TR think the Prowler is so weak, when its just as good a line tank as the Vanguard, but with almost double the effective range. If you allow the other tanks to control the conditions of the fight, of course you'll lose in the end.
  15. Frosty The Pyro

you don't have to be stationary to shoot, your accuracy or fire rate goes down on the move (depending of if you choose to keep full rounds down range or wait for when your bumps put your curser over the enemy), but the enemies does as well (hiting a moving target), takes getting used to but its doable if not always optimal, if you get enouph practice were you are more used to shooting on the move than the enemy is at hitting moving targets then it gets fun. you could dot your screen and use 3rd person mode which gives the effect of stablization, but I am not a big fan of anything that requires doting a screen instead of using the UI as intended, and there will be a lot of blind fire at ranges due to your tank blocking the view.

@devdevbootay (sorry, quoting is messed up on this new laptop) the Vulcan is a decent weapon, this issue comes at it being a short range higher dps weapon compared to its longer ranged counterparts. it supports a style that is far less popular with tankers these days, that is one of short range stealth play, put maxed out stealth on your defence and a gunner with trigger control and you can be a force. Very effective in smaller battles, in larger battles you will still generaly take out more than your value in enemy armor, but its a short and brutal affair, and sneaking is harder the more pairs of eyes there are.
  16. Long Dong

Saron won't hit much with its "high alpha" past 50 meters.
  17. Wildclaw

Stop living in the past. It has been two full months since the Prowler was nerfed to the ground with a massive double nerf.

Even its main guns are barely keeping up with the Vanguard/Magrider main guns in vehicle combat. And those guns is the only special ability it really has. So when adding in secondary guns the Prowler is far behind.

Anyway, this thread is misguided. Having the fastest tank is pretty pointless, period, as tanks needs to keep their front towards the enemy to be effective.
  18. AzureKnight

Where's that dude with the gif that shows a tank jumping a ramp and firing... Modern day tanks, while moving top speed and doing things like that can hit a target with something like 95% accuracy yet in the PS2 universe, you can feel the road as every bump sends your gun bobbing up and down enough making a tank duel seem more like a battle of who can hold their lunch better.
    • Up x 1
  19. FocusLight

Oh I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the grating cries of dismay at the idea that the Prowler is the 'fastest' tank in the game (not by much) but still can't utilize that at all because it's borderline impossible to accurately aim while moving. I cant hear your indignant whining that people dare to ask for a fix for something you personally don't like, over the cries of dismay at the mere idea that the faction with the "fastest tank" have to come to a total stop to utilize the faction-specific ability, rendering their tiny advantage meaningless but enhancing the effect of the drawback they have to balance that - being the least durable tank.

I can't hear you over the loud sound of Prowlers exploding in a chorus brought on by the use of the lock-down ability that renders the least armored tank the easiest one to hit and the easiest one to destroy.

I'm sorry I can't hear you. What where you whining about again? I am not sure, but I think it was something about being annoyed that people question the logic and reasoning behind the design choices regarding the Prowler and how it makes little to no sense.
  20. IamDH

Did you honestly just counter a thread talking about how speed isnt useful by saying "You have speed".

Also, no i never asked for buffs. I suggest you reread the last sentence. You also did not provide any backup for the claim "highest scoring nearly universally"