VS ESSR: Shade general discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Dasparian, Feb 7, 2014.

1. GalacticaActual

Tried out the latest version of the Shade, the higher scopes are in now, audio has been updated, the "reload" system is in place a bit more fully now if you over heat the gun you decscope and put in an icepack I guess (sidenote: having a reload animation on a weapon like this is stupid, what the hell are you reloading? Descope sure, but why bother having the gun be shown to reload? it's not reloading anything!).

There's still no significant hold on max charge, so now as well as judging how long our asthmatic one lunged sniper can hold thier breath for, we have to judge how long it takes to charge the Shade and how long that charge might hold for before firing automatically.

As for damage and how the weapon performs, I have to admit I didn't really try this out too much before the latest patch, but I have been unable to OSK anything other than Infils with the max charge shot at 200m range.195m is a OSK on everything, and Infils are a OSK up to at least 300m of course this isn't taking into account any nanoweve, armor or shields they might be using. Under than 200m for a max charge headshot? Whats the point of this being OSK capable? The mechanic for doing it makes you stick out like a sore ***, and it can't even OSK a LA beyond 200m. Just make the thing a Semi-Auto and be done with it, the BASR functionality is pointless on this gun.

The more I use this I just get the feeling that the Dev's made it OSK cpabale in the most limited way just so they could say to the VS "hey! you guys got a new OSK rifle as well, just like the TR and NC!" rather than actually making something that uses the new functionality of the ammo-less gun in a useful way.
  2. Cromell

Exchanging the heatsink, kinda makes sense.

Also the mixture of semi-auto and single shot makes the gun unique. You don't have to use charged shot. Nobody forces you to. But having the ability to do that is kinda neat and I'm sure people will find it useful at times.
  3. VSDerp

For vanu that don't have PTS downloaded here are the new sounds.
    • Up x 1
  4. ISKNausicaa

been playing with the shade as well with the new scopes.
    Charged shot OHK is capped at 200m (182m with supressor) i can understand why they limited it to this range, as having the ability to do an uncharged shot instantly after is immensely powerful.
    The reload still bugs me from a design and functionality perspective as it just messes with the whole idea of the heat mechanic.

i have very mixed feelings about this gun right now and cant really make a judgement call on it (unlike the NC and TR variants)
  5. GalacticaActual

Except the BASR shot requires you to be much closer than other BASR's require you to be, and you need to expose yourself for longer than any others to fire in that mode. I'm not questioning if the BASR capability works, it does work just very badly and in a way that doesn't really make sense.

To compare to the Lancer which uses a vaguely similar charge up, I can use the 6 round rapid fire if I want to and it does some damage which is useful, but the 3 shot charge-up is where the weapon comes into it's own. It does more damage at a higher velocity over longer distances (these are memories not guaranteed facts about the Lancer btw I am more than ready to be corrected about it), which allows it to compete against the other ES AV variants whilst operating in a different way.

On the Shade the gun works fine as a Semi Auto, the "unlimited" ammo pool supports the firing style, range and damage. But as a BASR it just doesn't, you have to expose yourself for longer to charge and line up the shot and it does pathetic damage at extreme distances. What use is the BASR mode?

I know I don't have to use it as a BASR (and in it's current form I won't) I'm just questioning what the point of spending time making a weapon with this firing mode if it can't at least compete with other weapons in the same class?

I'm interested to see how it matches up against the other Semi-Auto's in terms of damage at range, might be worth it for that, but certainly not as any kind of BASR.
  6. ISKNausicaa

i think the devs are looking at what a charged shot and uncharged shot could do combined, i think its that what scared them into the 200m limitation, being able to peg a target with a second quick shot if you bodied the charged one sounds very powerful.
    That being said i believe they are vastly underestimating how difficult it will be to use the charge mode on moving targets, and how much of a downside the charge mode is in terms of exposure.
    on the semi side in terms of damage at range i beleive it fires slightly slower than the current long range semis but has a similar damage range to them
    • Up x 1
  7. Haya jii san

The weapon is supposed to provide VS mobility. It doesn't!
    Things on SoE's "To do" list :

- Toggle modes between BOSR and SASR.
    - Ability to switch scopes on the fly. (Imagine close-range with x12?)
    - Ability to charge from stealth
    - Extend BASR shots capacity to at least 2 before overheating.
    - Lower overheating downtime to something viable
  8. ISKNausicaa

Its mobility comes from the fact that it doesnt require ammo, meaning you can stay out in the field longer.

Some of your suggestions are already present on the rifle, the toggle is there in the form of a charge up, a single charge up no longer overheats the rifle, meaning that you can if you want charge a second shot immediately.

being able to have a zoom scope would be nice, as would charge from stealth, but i doubt SOE will bother at this late stage :/
  9. treeHamster

Helen Keller was unique but you didn't see anyone telling her she could drive a car.
  10. treeHamster

If you are running out of ammo as a sniper with a BASR and ammo belt, you are a TERRIBLE sniper or are sitting SOO far away, that you aren't contributing at all to the fight.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pikachu

Sorry if I'm late to the table but I tried the latest update with the new nice sounds and all and it seems that you don't need to charge full to kill with headshot. Only charge for 0.5sec then release. This can even be repeated once before overheating. Meaning you can get 2 kills before exiting scope and unheating the gun. It's cool but got to be unintended since there is no point in charging all the way up.

About the overheat, I really don't like the animation for it. It looks just like changing a magazine. In Space Marine there was a plasma gun with overheat function. Instead of reloading the gun was ventilated which gradually took away the heat. Unless the gun was fired until overheated the venting could be cancelled at any time, didn't have to wait for it to complete. I would at least want to see a proper animation for this for the shade. Pressing a button or something that ventilates the hot air stuff. Not just changing a magazine.
  12. GalacticaActual

I think this is right on the money. It can be tricky at even medium ranges getting a hit on some vehicles with the charge up on the Lancer but adding that to a precision weapon like a BASR drives up the difficulty immensly
  13. ISKNausicaa

That statement makes no sense, how is someone 'terrible' for running out of ammo? provided they are actually scoring a decent precentage of kills to their ammo count then i cant see your issue.

Do you mean terrible in the context of not having a beacon, base/sundy or engy nearby to resupply? well we dont always have the option/luxury of those things, especially if we are flanking an enemy zerg or have found a hard to reach spot.

Using this rifle opens up all the other suit slots in those situations, rather than running with just the ammo belt.

At the end of the day it is a minor advantage and not one we will always be able to exploit, but it is an advantage nontheless.
    • Up x 1
  14. Zagareth

The whole concept of a charged shot is useless when you need 2 shots on either modes (semi and charged) to kill someone at 300m)
    I'd rather use a Nyx for that task, which kills way more sillent.

The limitation of 200m for OHKs is a dealbreaker for me, especially for such a loud gun and the upcoming ear implants - it's like committing intended suicide using this gun below 200m

So I guess I'll stick with the Parallax . One shot and the enemy meets the respawn
    • Up x 1
  15. Gav7x

Do you want it short ? shade its a piece of crap, railjack is ridiculously overpowered, and the TRAP-M1, Its a TRAP!!!
    • Up x 2
  16. Ballistix

BIGGEST. LOAD. OF. DUNG. EVER ! ! !

WTF DEVs . . . . .

I don't post, just read & and facepalm, sometimes even double facepalms - but I am coming out of retirement to post this as it just boggles the mind how you guys can think this is good . . . .

TRAP is also FUBARed - good job NC have Higby in their corner as the railgun is pretty much on the ball (some tweaks needed)

Right, lets start shall we - lets see if we can sort this out quickly . . . . .

Problem 1:
    Charge up shot - do you think we love charge up weapons? - NO ! ! But if you can't think of any other way of representing LAAZOORZZ and stuff then so be it - it kinda works on the Lancer, KINDA, but to use it on a sniper rifle in its current form is ridiculous. There is no way to cancel the shot if needed, if fires at full charge by which time either:
    a) target is not in crosshairs
    b) asthmatic 1 lunged sniper has botched shot due to lack of air and odd charge up timer
    Solution:
    have 1 long hold mouse click to begin charge (even while cloaked) and another then to release when time is right - if not fired in, say, 3 secs then the charge dissipates with a overheat cooldown

Problem 2:
    LOOONNGG *** overheated cooldown after 1 charged shot & a reload for an "ammoless" weapon
    Solution:
    Bring the cooldown to same standards as a BA rechamber, if even a tiny bit longer - as for the reloading, WTF SOE, really . . . .

Problem 3:
    "Bullet" drop - on a lazor - never understood this . . . . .
    Solution
    Really - I have to spell this 1 out for you?

There may be/are other problems but for me these are the main WTFs
  17. sindz

Ill say it one last time before its released.

IT SUCKS. Its horrible, you cant hold the charge for any amount of time and its ****** hard as **** to hold breath and charge up at the same time when you cant hold the charge. Yes i know its easy in VR, but try it on a moving targets. Its not like headshot sniping is easy in the first place since people render like holograms and then dont render more than 300meters and then adding you have to time charge up aswell - SUCKS, BAD IDEA.

I cannot stress this enough how bad this gun is in its current form.
  18. Ballistix

Just to reiterate guys - Problem 3 - "bullet" drop is not shade related (though my thinkings on this was to state this BEFORE SOE decides to give it 1) but to ALL VS weapons

Sorry about any confusion caused
  19. Maelthra

Switch to secondary weapon. Works every time.
  20. Ballistix

^ ^ ^ shouldn't have to tho ^ ^ ^