We Are Entering An Era Of MAX UPness

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NoctD, Feb 13, 2014.

1. KAHR-Alpha

With time, I've come to hate MAXes, I guess I'm just tired of seeing MAX crashes over MAX crashes... they always ruin everything.
  2. Kristan

Drama queeeen!

We're not talking if you're outnumbered or not, spawncamped or not, stop switching topics!
  3. Dethfield

Have to wonder why you even play PS2 then....
  4. Epic High Five

Lol, such tears, it's insane. Was anything even changed about MAXes this patch or is this whole thing just wishful thinking?

MAXes are super easy. If I'm feeling loose with my resources my deci/SAW/bandoleer/AV loadout has zero problem killing a whole lot of them before I have to go back to restock. They're slow as hell with a giant hitbox, and if they're charging they're helpless but slippery.

I think people just need to adapt. MAXes primarily exist as a counter to ******** infantry cheese like pump action LAs, 1800hp HAs with rockets, AI MANA turrets, and SMG infiltrators. These things are just as abused in their respective engagement zones and are also zero-resource cost, infinite respawn setups. No way is a MAX more ******** than any of those things.
    • Up x 2
  5. Klondik3

But number imbalance is exactly the root of the problem.

If all fights were balanced then unlimited vehicle usage would be fine. Team with better force composition should win.

However in fights where win is guaranteed and you already outnumber the enemy spawning vehicles is essentially cheesing.
  6. Klondik3

Sarcasm.

I don't prefer infantry fights over good tank/aircraft/MAX/infantry fights. I prefer infantry fights over not-fighting and not-fighting is most often caused when there are too many vehicles/MAXs. In those cases defenders if outnumbered give up defending and redeploy while some stay in the spawnroom and shoot through shields.

On the other hand if in those cases attacking zerg didn't use MAXs/vehicles then fight would actually last for the entire duration of the base cap.
  7. Klondik3

Again overpop is the problem. Yes we know that concussions + rocket launcher makes MAXs super easy to kill 1v1. Problem is when you have to deal with a MAX and infantry at the same time.
  8. Epic High Five

That's why I said AV grenades and bandoleer. A room full of MAXes doesn't fare any better than a single MAX when you toss in 4 AV grenades followed by a Deci round and a heaping helping of 200 damage full auto SAW rounds.

This is all just playing super fancy though. If I REALLY want to eliminate a bunch of MAXes from a battle (or force them into a MAX kill zone) I'll just grab my engie and sit on an ammo pack with a smoke grenade launcher, and i'll be rolling in certs from resupplying and repairing our own MAXes while incapacitating theirs. Watching 4-5 NC MAXes spamming Falcons into a smoke filled room hoping for a hit is just wonderful to watch, though usually what happens is a bunch of LAs take the opportunity to jet in and C4 everybody and/or get killed by friendly grenades that are being lobbed in as well.
  9. evansra

I suppose I could live with a resource cost increase for maxes as they do kick a lot of **** when kitted out well but the people saying they ruin infantry combat are misguided imo... without maxes and max crashes every fight would be reduced to a stalemate where nobody can get through a doorway because 3 ha's/engi turrets have it sighted, yes getting stomped by a max sucks but to believe things would be better without them I don't agree.

C4 also is nowhere near as over used or OP as people are making out, it may feel that way when you get killed by it but try using it and you will waste a lot of resources fast.
  10. Kristan

[IMG]

Allow me to slap you with reality.
    At games like Planetside there is No. Such. Thing. Like. Balance.

You will never face equal amount of attackers and defenders. You will never know when one of the sides will pull more tanks/maxes/esfs. All you need to is adapt. Grab a damn AV launcher and solve problem, because it won't solve itself in pity of you.

Jeez, you NC players are such crybabies.
  11. Radeonman-K

The problem is not with the MAX in general, it's more the fact that they are accessible to anyone with out any real downside or investment. True, to be a real power house you are going to want to invest certs into it and at least get a second AI weapon. That isn't the real problem though, a MAX suit should be more powerful and it fits with this game. Hell, it's been a vital part of this game since its first iteration.

However, what kept the MAX from being so hated in PS1 wasn't the fact it didn't "Destroy a good infantry fight," it was the fact a player had to invest a portion of his/her flexibility as a character into getting the suit. That meant giving up access to a different type of armor, weapon or vehicle. That person specialized in a MAX suit and lost their ability to use something else. That person also relied on the support of others. MAX suits were balanced by becoming a specialized cert that someone invested in, and even then they were only useful with squad support. Right now anyone can switch classes and throw a few hundred certs into Nano-Repair armor and almost never even need squad support.

That is the only real argument I see against MAX suits. A MAX suit shouldn't be ruining a fight, it should be adding to it. If you remove them from this game it ceases being PS2 and becomes just another generic shooter. I am a MAX user on occasion and I have put a decent amount of certs into them, so I like to think I can come at this argument from both sides. I think a MAX should be powerful, yet require support and cause the pilot to sacrifice some of his/her flexibility as a character. Perhaps an increase in the resource cost or the timer, maybe even other restrictions. As an avid user of Nano-Repair armor, I would also recommend it's removal as it allows a player to not just survive as a lone wolf MAX but to prosper, that is contrary to the supposed roll of a MAX. On the flip side, the actual raw power of a MAX suit should not be touched.

Instead of nerfing the MAX suit, lets find a way to ensure it's roll is more defined in this game.
  12. Aegie

Yes, well, it has the same ID across all factions so there is one issue. Plus, it is available to any class and has the same ID across all classes.

Take Hellfires + Photon + Breaker and what do we have? 7,085,507 and that is quite a bit more than double all the kills due to C4, and remember that these pods can only be used by 1 vehicle in the game that everyone admits has a high skill floor.

You will also notice that the sum of all anti-personnel mines is very nearly the same as C4- so anti-personnel mines are spammed and OP? (oh, and iirc, those can only be used by one class and cannot net deaths due to vehicle kills)

Also, effective =/= spammed.
  13. Klondik3

All games are about having fun.

Let me ask you: why are imbalanced fights more fun? What exactly is fun in staring at the spawnroom and then spending time relocating to other fight instead of spending all that time actually fighting?
  14. Aegie

I never said you were and I never said there was, I was only problematizing the notion "one could say there's still far too much power in the hands of non resource units (C4, lock-ons, etc)" because even though the infantry carry the resource may not cost resources, that the resource itself (C4) does cost resources.

The OP is directed at resource items and as such I took the position that this resource expenditure was a factor and I am challenging the idea that the resource investment in a MAX (350 iirc) is not better than a similar investment in C4 (3 bricks). I say this because I believe that people who take out MAXs with C4, on average, spend more infantry resources taking out that resource than the resource itself costs. I also speculate that a 350 resource investment in a MAX unit is likely, on average, to net a great cert gain than a similar investment in C4 (3 bricks).

Of course, it's all speculation and you're correct that no one is forced to use C4 but, then again, no one is forced to use MAX either. What I was problematizing is the same as what you are problematizing- that resource investment should even be some kind of measurable entitlement in the first place.
  15. Boomotang

The fun part is partaking in the strategy element that the game offers. Deciding when a battle is lost is a strategic decision. Whether to counter attack, or to build up defences at the next base in order to slow their strategic progress. Deciding WHICH base is more important to defend. (Here's a hint. Bases where you have more than 2 connections should be your "last stand" bases where you put all your effort into defending. It's always an advantage to have options when attacking, and a disadvantage to not know where you have to allocate your resources to defend.)

Imbalanced fights aren't more fun. They are an inevitable part of a game designed around massive warfare. The massive warfare is what's fun.
  16. Kristan

Because

[IMG]

Fighting against overwhelming amount of enemies is fun too. It requires balls and effort. And it really satisfies when at some point your faction comes to help you and you pushing out the buggers.
  17. Matti

You really should UL some gameplay so we can help you improve =).
    If you are struggeling with MAXes you probably need to think about your positioning
    and teamplay a bit more.

DON'T GET YOUR ENGINEERS KILLED!!!!

Many MAX players ignore this, I see it all the time.

Aiming shouldn't be a problem but if you are having problems in
    your MAX it is not the UPness of the MAX that is the reason.
  18. Akeita

After MAXes nerf the HA time will come... Then SMGs infiltrator... Then medics... Then engineers... Then.... FURY CLOAK FLASH.
  19. Vinakis

The Flash's Fury was already nerfed for being used more than any other weapon on the Flash.
    Some people simply won't be satisfied until we're all outside playing paintball with standard issue guns. :rolleyes:
    Wait, then there would be cries of "Nerf hand-eye coordination and depth perception!"
  20. NoctD

I'm not so sure, there's been various tweaks that I don't follow as much, LMG's have gotten nerfed for HA's, LA's have gotten their jetpack ADS nerf, medics have seen nerfs on MAX revive times (although that might be more a MAX nerf), and so on and so forth. I don't foresee any incoming big nerfs for soft infantry other than the engineer AV madness turret, and just maybe someday (one can wish), C4. If SMG infiltrators were to get nerfed, perhaps it might be something more like a slower activation/deactivation transition for their cloaks.