PS2 TO GO 64bit!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AdmiralArcher, Feb 4, 2014.

1. AdmiralArcher

they cant really do that with this kind of game because of its hit reg and other client side things, 64 bit code doesnt get along with 32 bit code, its too much for the system to handle and it cant open the packets fast enough (i think, im no expert)
  2. Typhoeus

Are there people actually playing this on just 4gb of ram at most? LOL It's 2014 I doubt anyone is gaming on a 32bit op system. I can't even imagine how painful of an experience that would be lmao.
  3. AdmiralArcher

well i run a 64bit OS but i only have 4gb of ram, and thats laptop ram mind you
  4. Admiralty

I have an unoverclocked i5 2500k, 4GB RAM, and a GTX 660.

Would there be any problems if I reinstalled the 64bit version of Win7 and bought another 4GB of RAM?
  5. Gav7x

I will finally be able to run on ultra textures, yay
  6. Ronin Oni

You won't need to get more ram... it will just benefit you.

And no, you would have no problems reinstalling with 64bit windows on your current box.
  7. MurderBunneh

Ya roughly 6% will lose that ability.
  8. MurderBunneh

They are working on DX11 along with 64bit client. Mantle will be used on PS4 version at some point. This is another reason why PS4/XBOX will get more bang then equally equipped pc's.
  9. EvilPhd

I'm going to say the OS as well.
    Steam hardware survey
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    5.96% Windows XP 32-bit

To contrast
    Windows 7 64 bit 50.56% -0.20%
    Windows 8.1 64 bit 10.41% +1.88%
    Windows 8 64 bit 10.01% -0.55%
    Windows Vista 64 bit 2.84% -0.41%
    MacOS 10.9.1 64 bit 1.80% +1.30%
    System RAM
    8 GB 26.89% +0.41%
    >=12 GB 11.20% +0.20%
    The resources are out there. The program limiting itself to 32 bit is not taking advantage. Esp when you have SO MUCH crap to draw, and load, and store. Going 64 bit will open up those resources.
  10. f0d

where did you get this news from? i wouldnt mind reading it

mantle wont ever be on ps3 (or xbox) because the low level api they have is better in every way than mantle, mantle is an api for pc's to make them more like ps3 and xbox
    http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-xbox-one-...-access-to-gcn-architecture-already-available
  11. Maelthra

Mantle isn't used on the consoles. Microsoft came right out and said Mantle won't be supported on the Xbox One and I doubt Sony is going to throw out their own API for Mantle. Mantle was meant and designed for PCs. That doesn't mean running Mantle is out of the question for consoles, but it would require Microsoft's or Sony's direct support. Microsoft has already thrown that out, like I said, and Sony hasn't said a peep about it that I can find.
  12. AdmiralArcher

RAM will help with textures, and itll probably make your game render a little faster, but other wise it wont make THAT big of a difference, i will also be getting more RAM somtime in the near future, i only have 4gb (laptop) so im going to get another 8gb
  13. AdmiralArcher

no to the mantle, but if they are working on DX11 i want to know, that would be pretty sweet
  14. Bankrotas

I see this more as a positive than a negative news anyways.

Wait, so Mantle will only be used on console version? Wasn't it more open source-like to counter DirectX monopoly at this point and AMD planned even Nvidia use it. Cause I see many interesting possibilities using Mantle on SteamOS computer for even better performance for PC users.
  15. AdmiralArcher

no, Xbox will never have mantle, no word on PS4 but its unlikely since sony has an API already
  16. Hibiki54

In reality, if you're not using a 64-bit system by now, then you really need to upgrade. Even store bought systems packages using the latest Intel and AMD multi-core processors utilize 64-but operating systems.
  17. JudgeDeath

64bit yes please !

Even game like wow started to run so much nicer when they introduced the 64bit client. Would be nice to get proper oomph out of the current hardware in this game too !
    • Up x 2
  18. LordMondando

Wait what?
  19. LordMondando

Its not that, if you want any of the netcode to be in 64 bit, the server basically has to be in 64 bit, that or it pads out all of its words with 32 bits of 0's then strips them off whenever it sends them to the server which results in no increase in precision over just using 32 bits.

Either way, im skeptical how much this will help. 64 bits is useful in scientific computing, its potentially useful in strategy games. How useful it is in PS2 remains to be seen.
  20. Phyr

If you can't upgrade to 64 bit, you probably shouldn't be running PS2 on that machine in the first place.
    • Up x 1