Why does everyone seem to hate on auto scouts?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Wobulator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Executioner Smough

I really enjoy using my SOAS-20, much less point and click than the Armistice, and more fun too. The upside to a scout rifle is its increased usefulness at longer range than SMGs. I use it with a 2x reflex, compensator, and foregrip. It fires extremely smoothly and makes it easy to hit all my shots at reasonable range.
    That said, it could be stronger. The scout rifles are much worse than assault rifles for direct battle, but that's the idea behind them. I think infiltrators don't need an all-around killmachine like an AR. A marksman's rifle like the SOAS is great, and the automatic fire means it's easier to get off enough shots to kill.
    • Up x 1
  2. McToast

Moin

I have yet to try the autoscout, but I don't really see a need for it. At long range I take out my LA80 or longshot, for medium range I use the SAS-R and for CQC I roll an SMG. SMGs are great for me because I hate ADS mechanics, slows the game down so much. Sadly they are a bit too much spray&pray, especially the 2nd gen SMGs.
  3. Ttariel

After the small buff they are a decent hit and hide gun if you ask me.
  4. SinerAthin

That explains the mystery bullet hail that has puzzled me for so long :O

I remember the first time it happened and the tracers flew all around me, I thought I had just pissed off a whole nest of Infiltrators!
  5. CerebralLOLsy

I just trialed the Artemis and enjoyed it. Its not stellar up close, but I liked the mid range accuracy that the Sirius is lacking. Just wondering if the compensator's accuracy gain is worth let everyone know where you are?
  6. Vaphell

that's debatable, though i use it currently. When i went to the VR and dumped few mags into the wall to test it, i saved maybe 15-20% of the total vertical recoil on the whole mag with the compensator. You have to pull the weapon down either way to be accurate, so it's not like the rifle turns into a godmode.
    The compensator penalty is imho too big for the benefits it offers. 2x the range = 4x the area.
  7. OldMaster80

I've just quit using the SMG because I felt like a lamer. SMG in Infiltrators hands is the noob-combo of Planetside 2, one must be a complete ******** if one doesn't score hundreds of kills. The NS-7PDW in particular is imho a little performing too well to be a weapon for Infiltrators.
    I prefer auto scout rifles and semi auto sniper rifles. They require more skill, and they're definitely more rewarding.

The only concern is semi-auto scout rifle do not perform so well as the automatic.
  8. Wobulator

To me, SMGs are poorly designed. Either you are in their face, in which case you can just firehose their face off, or you are completely useless. Either way, it doesn't account to any of the weaknessess or strengths of infiltrator
  9. Hoki

10. acksbox

I use the NS-7PDW as HA. Most SMG infiltrators don't stand a chance.
  11. Vanus Aran

So many headshots who dont count as headshots.
    Sony should just extend the headzone over the neck and down to the shoulders.
  12. Kwyjibo

I watched a video of a guy tearing it up using the VS auto scout rifle, so I bought the TR version. He was able to kill a lot of people shooting from the hip at close range, I can't kill anything that way. Not exaggerating, I probably lose 90% of CQC encounters with that rifle. I don't know if it's just me, or if the rifle is considerably weaker than the VS equivalent, but CQC just doesn't seem to be an option, unless they really suck.

However, slap a night vision scope on it and that thing is really fun to use at medium range. It's just powerful enough that getting the drop on someone means death for them, so it works very well with a cloak. The compensator and forward grip are a must as well, since the recoil is a bit rough. Wouldn't be a huge deal if the magazine was bigger than 24 rounds, which is really my only complaint with the gun. I can't complain too much about it's lackluster performance for CQC since it's obviously supposed to be very situation, and it's works well in that particular situation.

All-in-all, it's a cool weapon and I'm glad I got it. Like the OP said, it requires you to think a bit, which is something I'm ok with. I'd like to see more auto scout rifles made.
  13. reydelchicken

You're TR... abuse the tx1 repeater, it's a mini-smg.

The damage output of the sidearm at CQC is as good as any primary weapon. Alternatively using the tx2 emperor works great if you can aim good.

Besides, the hipfire on these weapons isn't that good unless you're in knife range.
  14. Kwyjibo

I might have to give the TX1 a shot. I have the TX2 Emperor as well, and my aim is ok with it, but I don't feel like it can stand up against full-auto weapons.
  15. reydelchicken

Sure it can, just make sure you're hitting at least 50% accuracy, and use a laser sight, you can run around, crouch, etc. and make yourself hard to hit.
    And the repeater is good with 40%+ accuracy, ideally somewhere around 45% I think.
  16. EViLMinD

I use both my scout rifles all the time. Fun and effective when used correctly.

There's no denying that SMGs are amazing for infiltrators. It's just that scout rifles are better for ADS at midrange (and, I haven't auraxiumed them yet).
  17. webba

I just wish scout rifles had a better choice of attachments. That would probably be enough to broaden their niche and make them a very competitive option.