I made an alt where I play with wanton abandon and never sit in spawn

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paperlamp, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Paperlamp

MAXes can go to hell. They can go to hell and they can die. Nothing ruins a good infantry streak like bumping into instant death you have no chance against. Primarily playing infil and LA - no C4 yet since it's an alt, maybe I'll feel slightly less frustrated when I can at least kill unaware MAXes instead of just crossing my fingers I can go around them.

Still, they are really ruining this run and gun infantry combat style for me, and I can see now why people just sit in spawn rooms more clearly than ever.

SOOOOO many of my deaths are just some random MAX getting that automatic win because they have way more health and more damage than it's realistically possible to escape most of the time.

Heavy assaults are BS enough with the shield up, but at least if you get the jump on them you have a hope of killing them.

I don't mean this to be a nerf MAX post, I use my MAX on my main a lot - probably my second most played class other than engineer. So I've seen it from both sides, just realizing how sucky it is dealing with them as a non-stat padding, non-camping, non-MAX spamming player.

On the upside, I'm learning to love the knife - although the chainblade looks kind of silly as a "knife".
    • Up x 10
  2. FateJH

Uh, keep us up to date on your progress? I guess?
    • Up x 2
  3. Paperlamp

Will do.
  4. Robes

I want to subscribe to this newsletter, where can i?
  5. NoctD

The better way to deal with MAXes as infantry, (and far less cheesy than C4 LA) is to use HA dumb fire and some cover to reload.

C4 is just another crutch, toss and boom.

P/S - Another thought, if you save up on some certs, always get the G2A launcher for your faction. Not only is it useful when air shows up, but its just a better overall dumb fire launcher too, the scope makes for better aiming. Of course if you want to join the elite ranks/big boys though, then you've got to learn to Decimator your way around MAXes.
  6. SinerAthin

The Concussion Grenade is invaluable versus MAXes, yet rarely anyone actually use them.

It leaves them open for rockets, C4 and full auto. A MAX hit by a Concussion Grenade is almost guaranteed to be dead.
    • Up x 4
  7. NoctD

Truth indeed. A MAX under the effects of one is a prime sitting duck. I've been in that spot before.
  8. Paperlamp

I rarely get dumb fired by heavies as MAX, only when facing so many targets I can't just shoot them as they slowly switch to their launcher and try to land a shot. Yeah, if MAXes are camping an area or you get enough of a drop on them + have enough cover + the MAX doesn't charge you, etc. etc. a MAX can be soloed by a heavy. Doesn't happen often.

Plus heavy is no fun. I like infil/LA because they actually make a class interesting, not just more durable.
  9. Paperlamp

Just frequent these boards, I make many posts.
  10. DarkwolfAU

ITT, TR infantryman complaining about the VS max, whose weapon does half the damage of a carbine and the NC max who can't hit anything reliably beyond 15 meters or so with scattercannons.

I'll grant you that scattercannons are pretty freakin' powerful at point blank, but I'd suggest you listen for that loud clanking as they run around, and stop running around corners right into them. NC maxes do not like copping a Decimator in the side from 15-20 meters away.

I'm far more afraid of fractures and mercies on TR maxes than I'm afraid of either NC maxes or VS maxes now.
    • Up x 1
  11. NoctD

I find both to be the cheesiest sort of infantry gameplay there is in the game really... my hats off to the bread and butter HAs that are doing all the heavy lifting and being the real men in combat!

And infiltrators/LA's are not meant to be played with wanton abandon... one should always seek to capitalize on their strengths to flank/surprise the enemy. Which is what makes them cheesy, but that's what you're supposed to do anyways.
  12. Alarox

MAXes ruin good infantry fights. They become the most important factor rather than being support. It always amazes me when people complain about tanks and aircraft but are perfectly fine with MAXes.
    • Up x 4
  13. LT_Latency

I think maxxes are a little strong as well, If I want to jump up to a 10+ kdr I bust out the max.

I find alot time you forced to retreat because there are maxxes and they can just tank any things you can do and gun you down. so you have no choice but to run
  14. Paperlamp

Nah dude, infil/ LA can bypass the chokepoints and so on that heavy assaults are sort of limited by, which means you can run into thick enemy groups and wreak havoc.

I mean, I'm playing with reckless abandon in that I'm not concerned about my deaths - I'm still trying to take smart flanking paths. The one thing though, is I don't sit in a camped spawn shooting out of it unless there's enemies in my immediate path out. Which is actually making me realize how few non-outfit/platoon players leave spawn rooms currently since I'm usually alone against tons of enemies while the rest of my team is busy trying to snipe stuff from the spawn. But on the bright side, often the enemies are all facing the spawn not expecting to be hit by something outside of it.

I only wish TR had a better AP mine. :/
  15. NoctD

That's flanking then! :)

But it gets a bit cheesy cause you're just capitalizing on the chaos. The HA has to fight his way to the enemy groups.

Its not that bad. It really isn't. Unless you want to use it for that infiltrator toss into groups of enemies.
  16. Paperlamp

Not sure how that's more cheesy than fighting with the help of a group on the most durable infantry class with 50-100 mag size and an instant kill rocket launcher but okay.

That is exactly what I want to use AP mine for, of course. I could get so many more kills with a 360 degree radius. :/
  17. Lakora

Nah, reason ppl sit in spawns is because of A: Tanks, B: Air, C: Rocket Launchers, D: Too easily Spawn camped even without maxes. :D
  18. Epic High Five

Liberators are way better at ruining a good fight than a fatsuit or two. I've got a dozen ways to kill MAXes horribly, but libs are effectively invincible unless you've got a critical mass of AA, which is unlikely in a fun, rolling infantry fight
  19. faykid

This game is not about infantry fights. If it was, it would be a whole different title.

Have you heard about Titanfall? It will come out this year. It will have giant mechs piloted by players, which infantry will have to deal with. What does it tell you? That having fatsuits is bad idea for a massive online si-fi shooter?
  20. ManyHats

Maxes are an integral part of the lore, but they don't actually enhance the game for anyone who isn't (ab)using them. They are simply too far up the 'food chain', vulnerable to too little, and dominating too much.
    • Up x 1