Iron Sights!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Slev, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Slev

So today, I decided to check on the stats of my new NC character. He's primarily been using Light Assault and has ~400 kills through his AF19, I checked the stats, 33% accuracy. I was frankly blown away, because I didn't think I was that accurate. I also checked my sidearm (not as impressive, only about 60-70 kills) and it has 47% accuracy. I don't consider myself an amazing player, so I chalk a huge amount of that up to just using the iron sights. All I can say is, if you're unhappy with your aim, try out iron sights and see if that helps you, I think it's certainly helped me.
    • Up x 2
  2. M2_Bradley

Meh.Your accuracy depends on the recoil of your weapon and how you compensate for it,if anything else.Also,I will take the x1 or x2 reflex sights over the iron sights any day of the week.
  3. DashRendar

Always fighting in close quarters will artificially inflate your accuracy rating. Always fighting at long range will have the opposite effect.
    • Up x 7
  4. Lewk

Accuracy as a % is heavily dependent on the play style of the player. If you are taking longer shots at targets that you are only going to land a couple hits on, but eventually get a kill, you are going to smoke your acc %. Close Quarters you are going to bump your acc % a ton. You can even sit on a terminal and get 100% acc for shooting the thing.

That all being said, how you feel with a gun and how you feel landing headshots is much more telling about accuracy as compared to the % stat. (I only bring this up because you said you were "surprised" by the %s.)
    • Up x 1
  5. Paperlamp

I like NC's iron sights better than TR's, they have a nice thin one that doesn't block too much of the target. However, I wouldn't use iron sights on them since they're so good w/magnification at medium range. Maybe for the GD-7F but I don't play NC to use a 143 damage gun.
    • Up x 1
  6. acksbox

Any non-explosive/AV weapon I use significantly I end up with a terrible accuracy % because my prefered engagement ranges are quite long, and I am perfectly willing to put 200 rounds from my LMG in the air to deter (or attract), damage, or destroy ESF at 500m.
    • Up x 5
  7. Greddy

Atm 2x and 1x reflex sight is kinda broken. The sway makes the sight deviate from the center where the bullet is coming out from. IRNS scope does not have this problem since its a 2d overlay scope.
  8. JonboyX

I'm not surprised. If you have time to line up iron sights you should be at high accuracy levels. :) Think also that without any magnification, you're clearly not shooting at 150m with it. It helps as well that the AF19 has good base accuracy, slow rof, and you're strongly encouraged not to strafe while firing it down sights. It's a solid, if unremarkable, gun.
  9. EsDee

The only VS weapon I prefer the ironsights on is the Artemis VX26 and that's only because of how easy they make maintaining ADS accuracy while moving compared to the rear-only 1x/2x reflex sights.
  10. Tiedemann

I use iron sights most of the time, but I've a hard time adjusting to the TR ones. Most of the block too much and is just plain ugly :p
  11. AFK1

Yeah iron sights are pretty useless in this game

They obstruct your vision more than any optics, and you want a zoom most of the time anyway. If you don't want a zoom, then you're better off with the 1x (zero magnification) reflex, since you can actually see what you're shooting at
  12. phreec

Yeah the NC ironsights are amazing. I don't put optics on most of my NC guns since the dot on 1/2x is too large and blocks my vision at range while 3.4x+ have too much zoom for my taste.

HS/NV is pretty nice too, but it's broken on Medium Graphics and has too little range for my favourite guns. I'm often engaging people beyond 100m+ with the Gauss Rifle using nothing but the irons (and grip) instead.
  13. NinjaTurtle

We need ES IR/NV, that blocky NS sight looks like **** on most weapons, especially VS
  14. OddChelsea

My accuracy is pure balls simply because I tend to shoot at nothing when I get bored waiting for whatever I may be waiting for at the time. I do like some NC irons though. The irons on some NC LMGs are terribad though, block my vision too much.
  15. BloodyG

Because 1x 2x scopes are bugged i only run ironsights for closerange, but my accuracy is not the best because i shot targets no matter where they pop out as long as i can kill them.
  16. Astraka

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know exactly how your overall infantry accuracy calculated?
  17. phreec

It includes explosives and shotguns so it's completely skewed.
  18. Kociboss

Ironsights are more "accurate" than RDS while strafing.

Sad but true.
  19. WyrdHarper

It also calculates the repair tool last time I checked (every "shot" counts as a miss, giving you terrible accuracy).
    • Up x 1
  20. Astraka

That would make sense, as I currently have a 16.25% overall infantry accuracy yet never shoot less than 30% in actual play. This is what made me question what they use to calculate overall infantry accuracy in the first place.