Why do you play PlanetSide2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Aesir, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Pikachu

I play to shoot stuff and get purple medals. And to get the pretty sky bug. :3
    • Up x 1
  2. Kirdra

I play Planetside 2 because of the combined arms element -and- the games large open world scale.

Seriously, Planetside 2 is the last FPS game where combined arms is a thing. Sure, Battlefield has vehicles, but they are just a cheap gimmick to get a few kills, one never lasts more than a few seconds. However I am greatly concerned that upcoming future updates might destroy the combined arms aspect, to conform with other games on the market, but until that happens, I'll be a member, and it will be the main game I play.

Though I also play Planetside 2 because it's one of the few FPS games where clear "battle lines" become established. Much like how fighting would really happen, you get people in two lines behind cover, trying to push, or hold off the other side. Don't get me wrong, Unreal Tournament consumed all my free time way back when, but I don't have much interest in other games where people merely run in circles, spawn behind you constantly, and nobody bothers defending anything because they haven't got the attention span to do so.
    • Up x 3
  3. NoctD

I think this is perfect actually - the problem I suspect is far too many people want to play a single role or a certain playstyle. You can't do that in PS2 and be really really good, you have to be able to adapt and put on many different hats as the situation dictates.

I play PS2 because at least to some extent, there's still a need to do different things and take on different roles, giving it more depth than a straight up single role game like either infantry, or tanks, or planes. Its the multi-role aspect of PS2 that makes it unique, and the only choice in the long run that's right for PS2, is for everyone to embrace all there is... you have access to infantry, tanks, air, you just need to learn to use them all!
    • Up x 1
  4. doombro

1. No other game offers the same experience of being a single soldier in a global war. It's like being one the little guys running around on your map in Grand Strategy games.
    2. I believe this could be the greatest game ever made with a few years' work, so I play it to keep it alive while it goes through that process.
    3. I like it. It's fun
    • Up x 3
  5. Aesir

An interesting point, though the problem right now would be that Vehicles actually serve no purpose, except the Sunderer and maybe a bit the Galaxy.

There is no circumstance in the game were you need a Vehicle or were a certain Vehicle other than the two I mentioned actually really helps that much. When all you need is to just point Infantry classes equipped with counters to deal with it.

The "wear many hats" approach sounds nice if things would be needed, but this is only true for Infantry Classes so far. Not enough Medics around? Roll a Medic. To much annoying Air? Get a A2G Launcher or spawn a Burster or swap to Engi and repair the Base AA Turret.

While this is nice for Infantry Players and I certainly like the idea behind it. But why can't we bring this to Vehicles aswell? And make it that Vehicles and Infantry would greatly benefit from working together. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be that powerful Element like a RL Tank that stomps around, having fun at the expense of everyone else that is not in one.

But fact is, there are Players here that are only here because the game got Tanks, VTOLs or Infantry. Some would only like to sit in their Tank and do just that. Other want to swap around and be a little bit in everything. And than you got the guys that see the opposite arm as an nuisance/immersion breaking of "their" gameplay. Which goes for Infantry and Vehicles pretty much alike at some point.

To balance the current approach to really work in practice will be a hard nut to crack, when there would be simpler and also good solutions around, like making an choice. Though set choice should not be set in stone and you should have the option to swap it around as your mood goes within a certain frame.
    • Up x 2
  6. ajma

Because it's fun?
  7. EliteEskimo

I play Planetside 2 lately because my outfit , and some other friends outside of it, help create a combined arms experience when we play that the game does not easily create. Planetside 2 initially appealed to me because its a combined arms game, even though right now it's disappointing me by choosing to be a very infantry focused game with vehicles that have little to no roles and which can easily be taken out by non rendering infantry. This seems to only be getting worse with the introduction of more infantry exclusive bases, and keeping the distance between bases so small it's hard for good open field battles to occur (Remove the little outposts to promote the use of vehicles between bases). I know BWC would appreciate the game moving in a direction where our ground and air divisions could have more roles in the game.

Furthermore when open field battles between vehicles occur, especially on Mattherson, a lot of them are ruined by people abusing engineer AV turrets (And VS with their lancers) that park on either side of the battle outside of render range until all that is left is an infantry fight in the open field. So much about Planetside 2 needs to be improved if it is going to be considered a good combined arms game, and not just a large scale infantry game with vehicles on the side as short lived power ups. It would be cool if Planetside 2 could rise to the level of BF2142, they actually have a lot of similarities, and hopefully PS2 can improve significantly before a BF 2143 or something similar comes out.

I still like PS2 and still play it even if less than I used to, however there is much that needs to be accomplished to bring that old passion I had for the game back.

1. We still the resource revamp to limit vehicle spam and hopefully make them more powerful and more of an investment so not every man and his dog can pull one all the time.

2. We need Hossin and continental lattice to bring meaning to capturing continents once more, and give us more reason to keep playing other than for certs.

3. We need the developers to focus on creating roles for ground and air vehicles so they are brought into the battle for usefulness for accomplishing an objective or role that impacts a battle in a meaningful way.

4. We need developers to limit the ranges of AV turrets, Lancers, and non rendering weapons as they are destroying open field battles.

• Up x 4
  8. Kuriby

Because I played PS1 and it was a game way ahead of its time.

I play PS2 in hopes of it being a competitive high skill-ceiling fps game.

I am still waiting for PS2 to be a good game

I want it to be better that is why I play it and support it

But fourmside 2 and constant nerfs of game mechanics is killing this game :(
    • Up x 3
  9. Aesir

And why is it fun to you? Is it lonewolfing? Playing with your Outfit? Infantry, Tanks, Air? The notion of grinding certs to "improve" your soldier?

There are many aspects that count as "fun" to some players and are things others totally hate. If it weren't fun, you shouldn't play it in the first place. So let me rephrase the initial question for you.

"What makes the game fun for you?"
    • Up x 1
  10. Konstantinn

Combined arms, larger scale than other games, high levels of coordination between squads/platoons/outfits, progression, my personal belief in expansion of the game in future continent locking/new vehicles/new weapons/resource system/new game mechanics to keep it fresh and evolving, server dynamics and community, feeling like part of a persistent team.

I also hate VS. They are the evil faction. Maybe because they had unbalanced toys for far too long, game designer's blunder might have caused unintentional dislike for their faction. Having this kind of personal investment is another surprising factor for keeping interested in the game.
  11. Kitakami

I play PS2 because we're a bit short on half-decent mp shooters at the moment.
  12. MajiinBuu

"I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil! I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath... I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing! I fight... because I must."
    ―Ulfric Stormcloak
  13. Erilis

Huge battles and good squad experiences with other players.
  14. reticentbassist

EPIC, player generated, "cutscene" quality combat every time I log in. There is always a massive fight going on where the feeling of being involved in a real war is there. Combined arms that matters. Squad and Platoon based team work that matters and truly works. Great factions and some really cool weapons (others not so cool, but oh well)
  15. NinjaTurtle

Because no other game offers a meat grinder quite so dirty and deadly
    • Up x 2
  16. Kirdra

Just to add on to this all 3 of the factions "special" AV weapons are very detrimental to open field combat: Lancer, Striker, Phoenix (lesser degree). Additionally, at least on Connery, open field fights are ruined by back-capping. I know this is a perfectly valid tactic. But open field fights don't happen when 25+ people drop on the point behind the fighting and not enough people prevent it from flipping.
  17. WTSherman

While that may be a temporary solution, in the long run I would personally like to see a push towards extending render ranges as hardware becomes more capable and extending the effective range of vehicle weapons (through higher projectile speeds and stronger zoom levels like 4x, 6x, and 8x) to keep up. The first priority should be raising the infantry render range to catch up to the vehicle range (maybe designate a point where they will only render if you zoom in with a strong enough magnification for them too be more than a pixel?), then we can work on extending both ranges together so that if someone renders for you, you render for them no matter what you're driving or not driving.

Still, until such range improvements become possible caps on weapon ranges may have to suffice as a band-aid solution.
    • Up x 3
  18. faykid

The freedom to change locations quickly, to fly/drive between bases at will, the opportunity to take part in huge skirmishes.

I cannot imagine playing on small maps anymore. This game delivers what others don't. It needs more love, more money, more staff, more publicity.

It needs to get bigger, more players, more servers, more continents. I hope the devs will manage to keep it alive and growing.
  19. Zakuak

Agreed.

Oh and CAMOs!
  20. Kapernum

I play because it's free and it's the best game out there (which isn't saying much these days).

However, I unsubscribed because of SOE's lack of professionalism.