[Guide] About Cloaking and general issues

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jawarisin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jawarisin

You might know me (or not, but then you're missing on something big time), I'm a hardcore infiltrator player.

I was just reading all these posts about cloaking sound, and whatever else it is about cloaking. So I just thought I'd talk about it a little bit in this post. I won't write much about either cloak, although I will talk about them both, there would be too much to tell about them, and seeing how this thread will probably disappear in the abysses of the forum, I'm too lazy to bother with my (what I do when I want to talk about something) 5-10k words (possibly more, depending how I feel and on the receptions) of how/to/when.

The first thing that was pointed out to me and that I felt like sharing with you guys was a comment in an old post about NAC vs HC. I can't recall who said it, neither the precise words, but it made me a better infiltrator nearly instantly.
    Summing it up, the person said: "Using NAC, I found out that I didn't need to be cloaked half the time I thought I needed to be, and that I wasn't using my cloak correctly."

Most of you probably never tried (or only rank 1) NAC for real. When you first try it out, the time you're invisible is sooooooo short, while the time it takes to recharge is sooooooooo long (by now you think my goal is to sell you NAC, well it's not, just saying). Eventually you learn to adapt. And that's when it hit me again, The same thing that happened to this other guy happened to me!

I't be long to explain it, you really have to do it for yourself, but I can give you a heads up since most peoples aren't interested in NAC.
    Think about when do you REALLY need to cloak. 90% of the time, you'll realise you were being paranoid, and not to good effects.

Now the other thing I wanted to talk about was the "Cloaking makes sound" thing. As long as you move, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Now, the time when this is mostly mentionned is "I'm flanking the enemy lines, and then this guy turns around and kill me". Well yes, it might happen, maybe someone heard you from 50+ meters away and decided to watch his back for the next two minutes. But we're talking about: A player who's good enough to recognize a cloak in a fight, where it's coming from, have their sound turned up high enough headphones/set, and willing to spend the two next minutes waiting for you, turning their back to the battle fields. I'll spoil it right now: Not going to happen. Maybe 0.001% of players would do that.
    What most likely will happen, is if you're sneaking on an infiltrator, they will shoot a few recon darts around and call it a day, and that's if they hear you / are way above average infiltrator.

Now, remember everything is client-side, it means that when you're starting to shoot the other guy, and you hit him, he doesn't even know he's half dead yet. For him, everything is still peaceful. Even your cloaking sound hasn't been heard! So why are you not getting that kill, why does he turn around and kill you?

Few reasons:
    He's a good player, and reacts very very fast.
    He's a heavy and has a god-mode ability.
    You're hip firing from 20 meters away.
    You can't aim.
    You're aiming at his left foot.
    You're using an un-silenced weapon and killed one or two of his teamates not too far from him.
    You hit him with a stray bullet from killing another guy.
    He's using the JackHammer.
    You're on Panic+Stress mode after getting behind the enemy line, and you're shooting erratically.

Other reasons could also lead to that result, but those would be the most common ones.
    The solutions to most of these are actually quite simple. And now, this is not a high kept secret, but my understanding is most peoples don't consciously acknowledge it, thus they run in the same problems.

Step by step:
    1-Aim down the sight
    2-Place your red dot (because you're a Vanu and using the 1x scope) on your target's head.
    3-Pull the trigger (clic your mouse, I just think romancing it with "pulling the trigger" sounds better).

If you follow those steps, the only thing that can stop you will be a combination of Heavy+extremely good player+ jackhammer+ little bit of bad luck.
    --------------------------------

While I was at it, kind of decided to talk about the recon dart. If you have 2-3 of them out, seriously, they will help more than not. Most peoples dont pay attention to their minimaps / are 2000x zoomed out. And for those that do. And it's not like you have to throw the darts on where you stand either. Stop going panic mode about it. Just use it in a smart way. And ideally have 2-3 darts out, I can cover the entire tech plant building and about a 10-20m radius around it with 2 maybe 3 darts, so should you.

There's plenty of uses, tactics and what'snot with them, but seriously, you're making too much of a fuss out of it. The only information you're giving to your enemy when you're throwing darts around is: There is an above average infiltrator somewhere in this 1000m square battlefield. Not like they won't know it once you kill them anyways.

---------------------------
    Now, I just threw a bunch of random little things at you, most of you probably haven't read it all either, but I felt like I had to say it.

To sum it up, you might want to re-look at your cloak usage, and the cloaking sound is not what makes peoples turn around and kill you. Recon darts really aren't suicide tools either.

Kinda felt like throwing this idea though, I was thinking about making a cloaking guide for both HC and NAC with general tips and advices or whatever, if you guys are interested and would actually look at it, let me know. As of now, it's only an idea lingering on the far side of my brain.
  2. Jawarisin

Shameless bump
  3. LordDethir

Not bad. Agree with most of this but 1 thing. When sniping (not cqc) the cloak betrays you (play counter inf) I was once able to track and kill a inf at 300 meters with the cloaking sound.
  4. OldMaster80

Same as above: i agree on most of this stuff but the cloaking sound. First of all this has been changed recently: in the past the sound falloff used to be on the average 60mts. Now it seems the sound falloff is the same as the rendering distance and I think (I hope) it's a bug. And this is a problem because if you're sneaking inside a base when there's only a 1-12 enemies you lose the surprise factor: they will hear you before you even start the reconnaisance.
    As many others I manage to track down and kill Infiltrators hiding in the surroundings just because of that sound.
  5. Akeita

I can cover crossroad tower with 1 recon dart. Be amaze ! ( Recoil gonna fk up you up if you aim for the head at the first place )
  6. Jawarisin

And you spent a year running after that infiltrator. If he was any smart he'd see you or use a recon dart. And if we go with the sound, he could hear you as well. Even your footsteps.

Naw, they die so fast, the recoil doesn't have time to **** you up. Well, that's me, I use the eridani personnaly and it kills at an INSANE speed. 2-3 peoples in one clip. I can kill about 2 heavies facing me if I take them with minimal suprise, simply because they die before they can start ADS (or one of them does, the other one well, that's because I'm that awesome).

Good luck tracking anybody half competent, I have 5 darts and I abuse the hell out of it. I also keep moving, and since my favorite is nano armor cloaking, I rarely cloak except when it's NEEDED. Not going to follow me for miles around cause im cloaking like an idiot.
    That goes back to my first post where peoples cloak for ******** reasons. And yes, it does happen i kill peoples because of the sound, but honestly, how often does that happen? Especially now that you know the sound goes for 270+ meters, hearing it doesnt mean crap. Could be anywhere within 70 meters of you and you'd hear it as if he was right beside.

It's not that big of an issue at all, most peoples don't even care. If it happens, it's probably 1/2000 death or something, not something to be bothered about. The person probably also ran ~1000 meters after you, if you kept moving. And survived any team-mates of yours if there were any.
  7. Akeita

I'm not sure about if Eridani and AF falcons gave the same recoil but it's not working for first gen SMG... Unless you are under 10m
  8. LordDethir

A year? No actually about 3 min. I only got 100 meters away and just shot him with my SAS-R he just kept standing in the same area so it was easy (btw he was a br 73)
  9. Zagareth

"act unexpected" is all advice that an infiltrator needs. No matter what cloak you use, what weapon, darts or sound one hears. I get the most kills, because I "know" how the enemy will act and I only die, because I dont follow my own advice or I get surprised by someone .

So when you die by "the usage of darts" or "by using cloak" it's probably your own fault, because you didn't think smart... and sometimes "**** happens"....
  10. Jawarisin

Well if he was standing still, that's another problem. Unfortunately, I didn't cover "mental slowness" in this post. As for BR, i've seen plenty of incompetents, even BR100's as I've seen low BR's do extremely well.

You didn't read my first post did you?
    Otherwise than that, I kind of like to act like is expected, in 99% of the cases. Because that's the smart thing to do. What wouldn't be expected is running to them mimicking a chicken and jumping while turning your screen the fastest you could. Believe me they won't expect it.

But I definitely agree with the last statement, sometimes "sh*t happens".
  11. CerebralLOLsy

I just started using my SMG infiltrator. Most people have said to stick with HC for more invisibility, but NAC still sounds tempting. What suit do you use with NAC? I heard that NAC and nanoweave don't stack, so do you think 35% resist while cloak/ 20% while visible is better than ASC which will always speed up regen time?
  12. Jawarisin

it DOES stack. to 48% dmg reduction from small arms. What DOESN'T stack is RESIST SHIELD from the heavy. But yes, I think it's an extremely good investment. It will kind of suck until max level though, that's the downside. Once it's maxed, it's actually pretty good. I prefer to use HC for my sniper set up. I use it sometime with an SMG, but extremely rarely, and only in special cases where i get a mission to go place a beacon behind enemy line or something like that.

NAC is better for SMG, but it does take a little bit more to get used to.
  13. Zagareth

I did, but I probably should write "So when ONE DIES by "the usage of darts" or "by using cloak" it's probably HIS/HER own fault, because HE/SHE didn't think smart... and sometimes "**** happens"...."
    I did not mean you in particular. My fault
  14. Jawarisin

Ah, guess I took that one a bit too personnal.
    My bad also
  15. Jawarisin