The Dalton... Just No

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meeka, Jan 20, 2014.

1. McToast

Moin
    Are you kidding me?

Please, I know it shouldn't be relevant, but I'd like to see your character stats. Please prove to me that you really know what you're talking about. I still won't agree with you, but I'll accept your opinion.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  2. Degenatron

This and this.

The Liberator is BALANCED AT ITS INTENDED ROLE.

The problem is with its ability to defend itself with its main gun (whichever one it is using) against AIR TARGETS. The fact that it can roll to >90 degrees, swirl in big looping circles, AND NOT PLUMMET OUT OF THE AIR is the problem. Looking at its name-sake gives you an idea of how the thing is supposed to opperate: a low level strafing bomber that operates with fighter cover to protect it from interceptors. I'm a skyguard driver and I have NO problem with it as a bomber. Sometimes I kill them, sometimes they kill me, but in general, on a 1v1, it ends in a stalemate.

The thing should lose lift at >45 angle and it should fall out of the air. You want to fly a bomber, then fly a BOMBER, not a big armor-plated interceptor with OHK abilities.

Oh, and someone had the audacity to say the Liberator was a 3-man vehicle. What a joke. NOBODY flies with a 3 man crew anymore unless they pick up some Nubian who doesn't know they're not needed in that seat. It's a TWO-MAN aircraft with an extra seat. Let's not BS each other here, OK?
    • Up x 1
  3. Booface

Skyguards can use cover, but air units are exposed to everybody at once so it's easy to focus fire them. Get 2 Skyguards. Consider getting top armor.

Also, Daltons can only 2-shot Skyguards and MBTs if the Lib is low and behind them,or if they're softened up by a Tankburster first. In both cases the Lib has to get low and slow and somebody should be sticking an AP round through its cockpit.
  4. DeadlyShoe

I fly 3 man all the time..

granted i usually use the Bulldog for that
  5. EmperorPenguin5

Or solo libbing.
  6. GEWJANA

oh god... are u on connery or briggs?
  7. McToast

Moin
    Aww, dammit, I forgot to assume on which server he plays. Mh, I just don't have high skillz in forumside :(.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  8. Get2dachoppa

I'm not denying a second AA MAX would have helped, but an engi wouldn't have been able to save me. A full health MAX was dropped in the time it took me to peek out the spawn door, fire some shots, then try to get back behind shield cover once I realized I was taking damage.

I was quite clear I wasn't trying to knock out the Liberator, just do enough damage to make it back off from camping our spawn room. I felt harassing him by ducking in and out of the spawn doors would whittle him down enough to back off. I don't see how that constitutes trying to win or be a hero. As it turns out, we didn't lose the base.
  9. Degenatron

That makes you the exception, not the rule.
  10. DeadlyShoe

@degenatron probably, but I ran 2 mans mostly before we tried the bulldog... I would have run 3 mans far more often if the drake or walker was actually fun to use, or at least got XP...!

yeah that's the shredder for you.

best TTk against MAX in the game i believe, not counting c4.
  11. vincent-

Than there was nothing to worry about, if a lib can't support his teams in a take over than all he was doing was farming and being a big *** target for some hot shot pilots or a couple of skyguards to destroy.
  12. Alarox

Nerf skill and exploiting your enemy's mistakes.
  13. blampoet

dude.... kudos on the calm and collected response.
    I have to admit my message could have been more mature.

let me try again.

A liberator shouldn't fear a single AAA MAX just as a AI MAX shouldn't fear a single squishy... it's just not a palpable threat.
    a liberator DOES fear an single ESF... just like an ESF fears a single AAA MAX

it's something i like to call "the ecosystem" but i've heard it being called the "rock, paper, scissors" concept.

so i do agree that a dalton would make itity bitty bits of most land vehicles rather quickly. Considering it is a slow moving platform that is very vulnerable to ESFs, this makes it balanced by being good against one thing but bad against another- that's why the Dalton isn't OP imo.

it's also what makes this game so great :)

see you out there!
  14. Axehilt

The Liberator is still the apex predator at the top of the vehicle game. Two expert players in a Liberator is still the hardest thing in the game to put a stop to*, while dishing out incredible damage.

(*As an isolated pair. Obviously in the middle of a zerg they become even more invincible, but so does an expert MBT team.)

Even solo the thing is a beast although my 174 KPH (1477 SPM) with Shredder (solo) is a lie due to how stats are tracked (solo shredder = very little time spent in the shredder gun = stats showing ridiculous KPH). When I combine vehicle weapon stats I get a more accurate picture, with the Shredder coming out on top in terms of KPH (41), but lower in terms of VKPH (16) even though I actually spend quite a lot of time sniping at vehicles from render distance while solo libbing (usually in situations where my Prowler would be easily overrun but my solo Lib can survive a very long time.)
  15. f0d

i feel the same way its BALANCED AT ITS INTENDED ROLE.
    they shouldnt be able to go belly up so easily and fly like its normal
    in general it has way too much agility for the size of it and its intended role

its damage is fine and its A2G abilitys is fine also
    • Up x 2
  16. ColonelChingles

I think the greatest irony with all these anti-Liberator statements coming from ESF pilots is that ESF pilots are totally fine with ESFs being able to engage ground and air targets effectively. The hypocrisy of it all... :D

Make Liberators very effective against ground targets but very ineffective against enemy air. Make ESFs effective against air targets but very ineffective against enemy ground. Poof, balance.

The Skyguard is in a weird place because it is a ground unit that is designed to counter enemy air, but at least right now I think it's in a fairly good place against enemy Liberators and ESFs. I only get killed by enemy Liberators if they fly in low to Tank Bust me (followed with a Dalton), and that seems alright to me (as they usually blow up seconds later). But if the Liberator or ESF are strengthened, then so should the Skyguard. Maybe just with a greater damage resist to all sky-based weapons (attached to the Skyguard turret, not the Lightning chassis).

Normally my Skyguard encounters with Liberators go something like this:
    1) Liberator comes in flying high, I shoot 5-7 shells towards it, Liberator leaves
    2) Liberator tries to fly in low to strafe friendly armor, I unload on the Liberator, Liberator breaks off attack and leaves

Not easy to kill Liberators, but at least I get around 80 exp from air damage. And sometimes an assist!
  17. Vivicector

Tired of reading one and the same topic from bad pilots... Hate to say it, but L2P.

Liberator is heavily underpowered and cries for a buff. It can not participate in any big battles, tailgun is weak and no one is sitting there anyway. I see waaay less Libs then any other things (except for Gals perhaps), and even less good Libs that survive for long.

However, SOE will probably listen to that whining and nerf Dalton since they "care" for newbies. Nah, if they really care, they should make good manuals and integrate that new type of ESF radar into default hood. New players should learn, not just get easy to use stuff and cry nerfs for everything else.

P.S. Sorry, really tired of those topics. I am not so good pilot, but never ever got shot by Dalton, even when attacking Liberators.
    • Up x 1
  18. Andrea SKye

We fly dalton bulldog all the time. Big boof, little boof.

Its good. If people arent doing it, then people are stupid.

You are also stupid.
  19. Morticai

Heard
    Heard Higby talking over prox chat on Waterson, evidently a pitch was made about limiting the operational orientations so that the main gun on a liberator could only fire when facing down. Exceeding the 'realm of operation' would disable the main gun.

Could be good news, if you think the lib is op.
  20. Zinus

Nop, i don't think that skyguard should be able to 1v1 a dalton liberator (the lib should have the advantage here), let alone 2 liberators.

I would rather want to see ESF getting a slight buff to deal with libs (and libs should get more resistance from ground imo).