since PU02, explosion/smoke cause fps slowdowns

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by eldarfalcongravtank, Jan 17, 2014.

1. eldarfalcongravtank

ever since pu02, i have horrendous fps slowdowns when looking at smoke, explosions and particle-heavy scenes. note that i NEVER had any performance problems with my game pre-pu02 and didn't change anything on my pc. i had hoped this sudden deterioration of performance ingame would have been hotfixed by now but even the newest patch didn't change anything in that regard

i wonder what is going on here and whether i am the only person with those issues. do the devs even acknowledge this is a problem? that said, pu01 probably offered me the best performance i've ever had in this game. but pu02 is such a MASSIVE step backwards in terms of performance that i have to ask myself what the devs were thinking when implementing pu02

hope someone can help me here:( i want to play this game more but currently it's almost unplayable. i'm very tempted to just go play BF4 instead which doesn't have performance issues for me
    • Up x 3
  2. Withnail

Not just you, I have noticed exactly the same issue since PU02, my performance absolutely tanks if I'm anywhere near an explosion. I have updated nvidia drivers though, could be part of the problem. May try rolling them back to see if that solves it.

I5 3570K
    GTX660TI
    8 gig ram.

I never had these problems, even before OMFG patch I was playing on Ultra, so not my machine either.
    • Up x 2
  3. eldarfalcongravtank

okay good to know. i've recently updated to the latest nvidia driver because battlefield4 requires it (it wont start with an older driver). it didnt change anything regarding my experience in planetside2 though, there's still annoying lag

i dont know what the devs changed to make smoke/explosions start lagging me. i dont know why they did it. and i still dont know if they're aware of this issue. i'll open a support ticket about this now. hopefully, someone can give me an official answer on this since bothering luperza about this issue on twitter didnt bring me any reply:(
  4. FourTwoFour

It's not your systems. I am getting the same thing. Some people's eyes are just not picky enough.
  5. Iridar51

Yep, me too. So I lowered "effects" and "particles" settings to low.
    Not only because of this, but also because I got tired of missing the target behind all those pretty sparkles.
  6. BloodyPuma

FPS drops happen to me on three rigs. Laptop on ultra low, medium desktop, and 4770+780 on ultra. Every got different drivers date while all are nvidia. The most problem I got is with a smoke and smoke after explosion.

I Think its a common problem. In my case GU1 did gain me lot of FPS on all rigs. GU2 took it mostly back [the weaker the spec, the more].
    • Up x 2
  7. Hatamoto

Any ETA for a fix SOE or are you leaving it like this?
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

in my eyes, this is more important than any balance patches, content updates or bugfixes COMBINED!

they NEED to sort out the bad performance! please, SoE, do something
  9. Hatamoto

Even if they have this on priority they need to COMMUNICATE clearly what is going on. PU1 was something to be proud of, dont piss that away plz.
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

bump. fix this finally!
  11. Hatamoto

Its the game, doubt tweaking settings will improve the situation
  12. Brusilov

I get fps dips mostly near explosions. :/ It didn't occur before so i think they did something to the particles or something.

*edit* blindly posting turned me into cpt obvious :p srry about that.
    • Up x 1
  13. ajma

Getting the same thing.
  14. Hatamoto

So will there be a PU3 or are we looking at just fixing PU2 ?
  15. Erilis

*Bump*
    Having this issue too. Kind of sucks to get so much slow-down in CQC.

Obviously has something to do with the rendering of the effect. I've read they had worked a lot on optimizing the visual effects but I'm currently getting a major FPS hit (~25) when viewing explosions at close range. Cut down on explosion quality please. :(
  16. Chibils

Since most people who have mentioned it said they have nVidia cards, I'll add something constructive and say that I have an AMD (Sapphire Radeon 7790HD).
    • Up x 1
  17. Erilis

I also have an AMD card.
  18. Yolanda be cool

Same **** on i5-4670 @ gtx760, settings = ultra.