Zerg-breaker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Styrkr, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BengalTiger

There is a few options, here's a couple that work very well:

1. Maneuver warfare. Zerg is going to base X, after taking base Y. Just after it reaches X, my tank unit reaches Y. Now we have dozens of tanks showing their rear, and we often kill one per salvo.
    Once they figure out where we are, we just put our Racer 3 to good use and find another position, also on the outskirts of the battle.
    They are broken however, and the defenders can be outnumbered 2:1 and still hold their own.

2. Air raids. A high altitude Liberator, armed with a Shredder, will defeat the Skyguard that's firing at it and will be able to proceed to shred the zerg. Keep in mind that there must be as many Libs as there are SG's on the ground, or this tactic will be costly.
    A few fighters with Tomcats (or fuel tanks if they know what they're doing), as well as good Shredder/Dalton gunners can counter an air zerg (or at least put lots of hurt into it).

3. Air raids once again. Galaxy, very high altitude. Squad leader marks enemy Sundy with WP, pilot delivers people to WP, people drop, blow Sundy up, then redeploy to where the Gal went to land.
    SL then marks next Sundy, Gal comes back.
    Once the zerg runs out of logistics, it'll run out of intantry and ammo for vehicles. Then it will bleed out. This tactic requires literally like 6 people - a spotter, a pilot and 4 intelligent munitions, and can tip the balance even in a 48+ attacking a 12-24 if there's enough time for several runs.

4. Defense in depth. So, the zerg is capturing base Y, and in 2 minutes it'll attack base Z. Time to redeploy, Y is lost. Using available hardware at Z (such as fortifications, turrets), the defenders can figure out where to set up with their defense. Then the zerg will have to travel through a hail of anti-tank rounds.
    Bonus points for shooting the zerg while it's still at base Y, free kills are bound to happen, because zergs don't defend their outer perimeter.
    • Up x 2
  2. Nephera

this pretty much breaks any zerg.
    • Up x 1
  3. HerpTheDerp

That reminds me when Germans first encountered T-34s on the Eastern Front and the Wehrmacht command issued an update to German commanders about them.

"Neither our tank cannons nor our artillery can pierce the front armor of a T-34. It is recommended to fire from the side or rear, preferably from 200m or less"

The update was curiously unspecific as to how to get to 200m or less to a side or rear of a T-34 in combat conditions
    • Up x 2
  4. TheReaperKing82

is this perhaps a call for orbital strikes? that would certainly break up a big zerg either by destroying a bunch or at the very least forcing them to scatter to avoid death.
  5. Roland2TowerCame

If people would stop spawning at doomed bases it would help.
    I do it myself sometimes, but in that situation my only goal is to take out vehicles.
  6. JudgeDeath

OP goes the lazy mans way and ask devs for a "Zerg-breaker" .... Instead of doing what the rest of us do and actually fight it down with the tools given.

No .. you cant do it alone. You need a platoon to do so, and that is perfectly reasonable !

It tends to be the lonewolfers that post these threads claiming that numbers you cant single handedly beat, are somehow "bringing down the skill element of gameplay", "Unfair", "No tactics needed", yaddayadda.

There allready is enough "zerg breakers" in this game, you just need to use them instead of complaining that you cant do it alone.

Edit: Orbital strikers are something you would complain about too since they are only available to platoons/outfits.
    • Up x 1
  7. Styrkr

Best answer so far. Great detail, and a focus on tactics.
    • Up x 1
  8. aoyagiaichou

Battlefield 2-like artillery barrage? Dust 514- style orbital strikes? Nukes?

Nah, I think zergs are the point of this game. You either zerg or try to use tactics to overpower the zerg. The problem I see is people sitting in spawn room instead of falling back and bringing in some tanks.
  9. Taemien

Assuming the point is in a building:

Gal drop 12-24 people (1-2 squads) on a point (split up if multiple points.. may need 2 squads instead of one depending). Heavies/Maxes go in first followed by medics and engies. Engies setup AI turrets covering the entrances and mow down anyone who comes by. Only thing that routs this is a Max crash.. but not always. If heavies are expecting it they can deci the maxes as they come in. Never leave the room, medics stay behind consoles, crates, walls, ect so they don't die. Let MAXes and Heavies take the damage.

Once point is grabbed, mop up infantry and redeploy and repeat at another territory. If at anytime there is a wipe, as in all the medics are killed and everyone's basically dead. Deploy at warpgate and Gal drop to another territory.

This method invalidates all armor zergs. It also decimates infantry zergs. The only counter is another organized group.

Assuming the point is NOT a building:

If there is any region you can go to in order to go around it.. do so. But if you have to take it, try above. This is one of the few times you need a zerg to beat a zerg. But if you're taking the other regions first, you should split up the other faction's forces.

Some points to consider:

Some think this is cowardly ghost capping. Its only a ghost cap when the enemy isn't there. The goal isn't to fight the good fight but to win the alert. This does that.

Never leave the group. Stay in the rooms. You can effectively invalidate snipers, tanks, and aircraft. Anyone that dies is immediately rezed. You don't need squad beacons and you don't need sunderers.

MOVE FAST. When PL calls for a redeploy, you hit the redeploy button. If you're being damaged, /suicide. You should be up and ready to move within 30 seconds of the PL calling it. In otherwords, the Gal is moving 30 seconds after the PL says redeploy.

Squad beacons can be used to get those who couldn't deploy quick enough, if you think you missed the Gal, sit on the redeploy screen and wait for the beacon.. it won't last long.

This works on every base.. just about. Even Biolabs and Tech Plants. Amp stations are a little tricky and beyond the scope of this. I'll leave it to Outfits to use their own techniques. Though crazy as hell squads can use Sundies with Gate Shield Diffusers

This is very hard to pull off in open squads/platoons. You have to enforce redeploy discipline as well as let everyone know the standards. Those that refuse or ignore them have to be replaced.

This isn't casual play. If you're just looking for certs, padding KDR, or wish to be able to afk once in a while then this isn't for you. But I will say this.. you feel like a badass when you do this style of play. And it is a fun way to play once in a while to get away from the regular zerg.
    • Up x 3
  10. Tuco

What's one of the first things Quakeworld did when they created CTF mod? They autoalanced teams.

Doesn't matter how "cool" you make the base, rolling on an empty one is boring.

You want them to waste mechanized resources so they can attack a position where they are outnumbered 4:1. And people wonder why nobody listens to squad leaders, hahaha.

Orbital Strikes are free cert generating buttons that never effected who won any battle.
  11. sL360

BATTLESHIPS!! SPAM BATTLESHIPS!!! CAUTERIZE THE AREA!!!!

(The terrans are very much like the NC, wouldn't you think?)
  12. Takoita

AV MANA are hands down the most cost and time effective way to do that currently. Depending on the landscape, about eight of them can exterminate a 60+ tank column before it can get close enough to hit them back without any trouble. Shooting from Crossroads' tower into the mass of vehicles coming from the Broken Arch and vice versa is one fine example.
  13. Nephera

if you have a completely superior position tanks cant rush you from. (mountaintop, top of indar cliffs) you can park an ams sunderer above a tank column and take out the entire thing with one max. But that wholly depends on whether or not they have aircraft that can come after you.

But yeah thats limited to the few places the terrain allows it.

Edit: it also kind of requires them to be stalled at a base they havent capped yet or they'll just roll on through.
  14. Ronin Oni

Keep slowly falling back and spamming AV turrets and ES Launchers at them (using ES launchers to their best ability for each faction)

You'll whittle em down before too long as long as you have at least a decent force to fight them.

Once their mass armor dies out... so does their momentum.
  15. zaspacer

That may be your favorite reply, but it's not the best answer.

Elevated AV Mana Turret at extreme distance and Bio Labs on a Lattice are the best counters to a Vehicle Zerg right now.

If the Zerg is moving or unorganized, then you only need 1+ AV Mana Turrets. If the Zerg is stopped and organized with Vehicle Repair then you need multiple AV Mana Turrets ideally coordinated. If the Zerg has ESF support they can send at the AV Mana Turret positions, then you need AA to keep the AV Mana Turrets alive.

Squads and Outfits have superior communication and other resources. And players with Certed out Loadouts have superior tactical configuration options. Multiple high Certed squads working together should be able to overwhelm anything in the game. But it still doesn't change the fact that AV Mana Turrets and Bio Labs are the most effective counters to a Vehicle Zerg.

I still don't like Squads and Outfits. Don't like to play in em cause either they're not smart or they are smart and it breaks the game and removes the sense of competition. Also don't like how they succeed at lobbying to change the game to fit what they want. Also don't like the attitude many of them have and how they use their advantage to grief others on a whim or if they feel slighted: it's almost always the guys with the Outfit tags that TK me the most.
    • Up x 1
  16. zaspacer

This is an accurate and important point. SOE designed PS2 to favor Zergs and Zerging. And for enemy Zergs to avoid each other and steamroll less populated bases.

If you look on the map and see you are NOT the dominant population at your current base, why are you there? You are not going to get the XP (unless you do good fishing from inside the sheilded spawn room) and results you would if you spawned to a location where you faction is Zerging.

If you like to play "hard mode" and don't mind sacrificing stats and XP, then by all means enjoy fighting the Zerg.
  17. come1l

I am a professional zerg breaker and I love enemy zergs.
    AP prowler for tanks, skyguard for butterflies.
  18. Taemien

I guess I could have specified that the method I was referring to is the best way to deal with a vehicle zerg. You can pretty much ignore them. Even PUG squads/platoons if facing off against one could simply go to another part of the map or another continent. Two things will split up a zerg. One is an organized resistance, as you suggested with turrets. Or boredom. With nothing to kill with those vehicles, the PUGs will drop the vehicles and go where the fight is.
  19. Styrkr

Like the input guys. I'm having the thread locked now :)
  20. DG-MOD-17

Huzzah,

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as per request!

♥17
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.