Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. EpicCrayon

I hope and wish the best of luck to SOE as they optimize this great game. Although this was posted a little over a year ago, probably whenever I had a piece of junk PC that could maybe get 20 just walking around the landscape (I was really desperate to play this :)), and now can't average hardly that in a some-what large battle (I've got an i3). Which, in fact, I could run when I first got the PC (Feb, 2013) I could go maxed out in a huge battle. So yeah, I'm kinda disappointed in that. Well, still, best of luck to SOE. :D
  2. Digestia

This is great! Amazing! You should totally start with the ~20 fps drops of having the HUD enabled!

Looking forward to hearing about this!
  3. Hatamoto

Quick note on the games current state: performance is down
  4. Unnman

Windows 7
    AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.90GHz
    4GB Ram
    GeForce GT630

Game works 25 to 30 frames with around let say 50 ppl if goes up to 100 it goes to 20 frames to 10 or game freeze or crash XD but so far its playble :D
    • Up x 1
  5. MajorSharpe

I need some help pls, i play with a decent laptop and done so untill br 79. I was some months without playing and some major optimization patch was implemented. Before as long as i stayed out of 48+ fights i had no fps problems some 25+ too depending on the number of veicules. Now i cant play anymore! If i'm alone in a region i can get up to 60 fps but as soon as i meet someone if goes up and down from 5fps to 20fps. My k/d is bellow 1, i see im dead, i cant fly an esf anymore, i cant drive a veicule, i dont dare jumping from a cliff as a light assault as i wont be able to use my jet properly and im no longer able to make a difference on skirmishes that is my specialty :( not even the smallest!
    I havent done any changes to my computer and as i said it worked great up to br79. It seems hopeless.
  6. Erilis

I'd just like to say that I appreciate what you at SEO are doing. People complain a lot but most of them still play and appreciate the game (though they may not always express it)

I'm getting 35 normally now (used to get about 29 before the patches) and that's a nice increase. Crashes upon closing the game are mostly gone for me now too. Still getting about 15 in large chaotic battles and experiencing major lag with explosions but I honestly love the game and I'll keep playing.

Great work guys.
  7. MrBrandX

It's great to hear this kind of news, and that the average player isn't alone in the experience from the devs. Honestly, in the short time I've been able to play at all, having finally gotten a system with a decent enough graphics card (an okay cpu, but low ram still causing me to push things to the limits on even the lowest settings), I have noticed a marked improvement in overall performance with each patch. For my part, the one thing that really tanks me, going from just playable to an unmanageable 10fps or lower -- sometimes 1 fps, or crashing my system entirely -- are the global announcements.

The "Such and Such Empire is Victorious," event notices, continent control notices, cert awards, and rank up announcements in the middle of the screen not only seem to tank the frames, but generally stutter both before and after they come, taking a very long time to just be done with and out of sight. If it doesn't get me tagged out, I tend to have to hide behind a rock or something until they pass, which of course makes nearby teammates absolutely furious at me. It basically means I can't feel comfortable ever joining a squad or team, because while I could cover them a little bit, at any unknown or random split second I could be rendered suddenly useless by an incoming announcement for upwards of a minute; possibly longer depending on how many are coming.

I realize the benefit of having such announcements, and also that this problem may have been mentioned. I hope this helps validate or confirm it, thinking that an option could be set to have them in the chat or some other, smaller, less taxing form. Maybe deepening the already quite deep options section for players regarding things like that could help with optimization even more on our end, as well. Sometimes these issues are about meeting in the middle. I know that I enjoy the game a lot, and have had a few battles that have gone very smoothly which highlight the potential here, even though the functionality has admittedly been very rough, overall. I will continue to keep coming back to see how things are going, and feel that addressing the current announcement system would go a long way towards helping my own low-end computer make the best of it. I wonder if it might help everyone else's, too, as one possible step?

Thanks, and good luck.
  8. MarmotaOta

Thank you developers at Sony! I do appreciate this great game, and it has turned into a favorite of mine, the graphics are just stunning, and the gameplay too. I wish you all the success in optimizations for cpu computing, as that seems to be the only issue ithis title faces , depending on how it goes it could become the greatest game ever. Thanks, and good luck!
  9. SeniorChief

cruising the forums trying to find ways to keep playing the game notice the date. yes there was a lot of improvement in the fps, but now my cpu is older and my game is all but dead it seams to be worse after each update. I think that there is a connection between the massive graphic and the fps for instance esmier plays ok?kinda but amerish, indar are a nightmare because of the textures and graphics. Does sony have one of those saving programs you know they finance me a new comp to play on and sell it to me for 30.00$?
  10. CazadorDeLaBruja

Sounds like you are making excuses... if i recall attacking the consumer has never ended well for any business. If the consumer is getting on your case based on what they are experiencing in your product... its up to you to "ONLY" say... "we are working on it" and then move on... attacking the consumer like above mentioned will only make you loose customers. Also... this thread was posted back in 2012... so from the future here in 2014... the only thing your optimizations did was piss everyone off and loose customers. also your talented staff were poached into working on EQN and the rest of the staff have never addressed issues spoken of in the forums by PAYING CUSTOMERS and as a result the community actually has come to HATE PS2 and the dev team for how irresponsible they have been. so suck it you jerkface. i cant choose if ill pick EQN or ESO as my next game to throw $800 into. it wont be Planetside 2 if the PS2 staff cant hock up some sort of gumption that THEY owe ME some loyalty... not the other way around.

Might be better if SOE removes or foricibly edits these lines:

"So any rumor that we don't care about a particular type of hardware, or aren't optimizing... squish it.

There is no conspiracy, and no rest. We simply have a lot of work to do.

If you hear someone saying it's easy, have them show you their game with hundreds of people and dozens of vehicles within a single 100 meter firefight. I'd happily accept their advice. *grin*

Tell them to ask someone who was in the original tech test how frame rate has advanced since then. That was a few months ago.

If frame rates are just too low, check back later. We'll still be kickin and frame rate will be higher."

especially the "Squish it" comment... its almost as though codeForge thinks he can tell the customer to "Shut-Up" might need to reschool that **** about community relations...

Hello from 2014 and the last throws of life from PS2.
    • Up x 1
  11. Add1011

I feel like planetside 2 is one the the best optimized game I've seen. Incredible despite the size of battles. I feel like everyone appreciates the hard work put in optimization! Keep up the good work!
  12. Vivicector

Performance has gone quite low since the last updates. Back to 18 FPS in larger battles, but now with inconsistent mouse behaviour...
  13. XiloTheOdd

Does this optimization include making nVidia's latest graphics drivers work? the heating up of my graphics card till it crash's and reboots has gone on long enough. this is the only game i play that does such things to my rig and has so for about a month atleast.
  14. dirtYbird

All the gains from OMFG are gone and then some for me, performance is rubbish and puts me off playing the game.

Not to mention the time we have to waste with log in issues.
    • Up x 2
  15. EmeraldShadow

JUST TURN YOUR FAN TO FULL WITH MSI AFTERBURNER!
  16. EmeraldShadow

... I have one of the best AMD CPU's and it's terrible on this game.

Stupid.
  17. EmeraldShadow

Clean out the dust from your laptop, your laptop is overheating and underclocking the CPU & or GPU.
  18. Blobby Jelly

SOE. Just please hurry up with these updates. Good luck with the work :)
  19. Chubzdoomer

Same. The performance is as bad now as it's ever been for me. After the first major performance update I saw some serious improvements, but since then it's been all downhill.
  20. hdbrando

The game has only gotten worse for me. The lag, crashes, glitches, all that fun stuff. My most recent thread has more information on that. COUGH DEVS COUGH