Miller NC overpop since new year.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Strikejk, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ulysees

TBH Dotzor the problem with those times is not that we couldn't get people off the continents it was that the outfits that played the alerts didn't have the numbers to be where they needed to be to make a difference.

Population alone doesn't guarantee an alert win, it is only when that population allows the good outfits to go where they are needed that it makes a difference and if you can tie up the good outfits in slugging matches it is very easy to lose track of time.

How is TR outfit activity these days? When the game launched WASP were 6 squads strong and during the height of overpop we were 2 squads strong but the last few weeks due to external things happening we got 20 good players and this now allows us to play proper combined arms and not sacrifice boots on the ground and this has made a massive impact to how effective we can be but at the same time we don't look to overwhelm bases through pure numbers so population isn't a massive handicap to finding good fights, ****** ability to read the map is.

There is no denying that population imbalance is a problem but in a game like Planetside2 I also don't know that you can do much to alleviate that balance from an external source, ie offering XP benefits. As Mondando has said what is needed are game mechanics that make it harder to push out from your warpgate the further you advance thus giving underpop factions an advantage they can use if they have the ability to do so, until then you're not outnumbered you're just in a target rich environment!
  2. Xasapis

Retention is an interesting thing. This game is partly an mmo, which means that it is bound to lose people over time, but it is also an FPS, which means that it is bound to have people dropping one side when they lose (whatever that means for each one of us) or give up on the game completely (usually people invested too heavily on one faction).

It's easy to blame the losing side for whatever arbitrary reason you can come up with, but you need to understand that even in games with no factions, the losing side has a much smaller retention rate than the winning side.

The toll is even harder on the people who are less casual in their gaming. More than a year after the server started in a relatively balanced state, what's left on the tactical scene for each faction today?
  3. Goretzu

It's fine so long as you're balanced (as TR are), it's not so good when you're underbalanced (as NC were)...... although TR is hardly the underdog faction on Miller, TR still has the highest world pops regularly, even in PT (even VS does occasionally).

Although for losing alerts nothing beats Miller TR coming last in a continent dominating alert dispite having at least 60% continental population for the full 2 hours! Still makes me smile. :)
  4. MGP

Faction bias is strong in this one.
  5. Goretzu

Fortunately statistics overcame bias and the game was (largely) balanced in PU2. :) (at least you got your NC from BR9 to BR18 in the last few weeks, eh?)

Strangely sales of soothing cream soared at the very same time! :D
  6. MGP

I wanted to make a large and elaborate post, explaining where are you wrong. But then i've realized what you won't listen to me, and to anybody with different opinion from yours. So i won't be wasting my time with you, so go ahead, enjoy your FOTM while you can. I don't mind.
  7. Goretzu

But then you realised you couldn't. :p

The game is in its best balance state it has ever been in at the moment, not perfect certainly, but as close as it has ever been (as I'm sure the stats will show, as they showed prior to PU2 what needed changing), it's great! :)

(atm Miller is 35% TR, 34% VS 31% NC btw :eek:)
  8. Obuw

The same problem exists in Cobalt. I play both VS and TR, and NC consistently has 40%+ population every time I log in.

The game becomes completely devoid of fun when you're for instance just trying to enjoy a balanced battle between VS and TR and the NC shows up in full force with two platoons in vanguards and liberators and decimates everyone.

Then the underpopulated factions start logging out of course. Which makes things worse.

I'm considering making an NC character as well and switching to him whenever there is an alert. Free 40 certs from every alert should help me kit him out in no time. And maybe if more people do this, further increasing the overpopulation gap, SOE may actually feel inclined to do something about it.
  9. OldMaster80

They're usually 2-3% more than us. It's not so tragic.
    It's also interesting to notice that nc population took off after their weapons have been buffed in pu02 while vs pop dropped since zoe has been nerfed.
  10. Bankrotas

This makes me wonder, what if characters weren't server, but client based and you could join servers to fight making it more FPSmmo, than MMOfps.
  11. RF404

1. A handful of severely underperforming NC weapons got rebalanced =/= NC weapons got buffed.
    2. The TR population has dropped more than the VS population.
    • Up x 1
  12. RF404

13. OldMaster80

Not me: i will be loyal to the republic's flag until i will be the last man standing on top the crown's tower!!!
  14. RF404

Well, that was already pretty obvious from you're previous post
    • Up x 1
  15. Squeeck

This is true indeed. In those months of TR 'overpop' I rarely saw a queue for a continent, even if we had 40% pop.

How is it misplaced for someone to complain about that? It is not like the population imbalance was caused on purpose by TR players.
  16. Goretzu

Anyone is free to complain....... it's just a bit rich considering the population advantage TR had on Miller for most of 2013.

At the moment on Miller at 6pm GMT TR currently have 37% world pop (the highest), so it's not like TR is like NC and VS were when TR was always highest population.
  17. Astriania

Just sayin' but Miller is right now 39% TR.
  18. Astriania

They changed continent maximum pops (halved them?) in PU1, is why.
  19. zukhov

7 pages of this rubbish? I don't think NC/VS managed this much whining in over 5 months of outrageous TR overpop.
    • Up x 2
  20. Botji

As of right now, TR has 40% of the server pop.

Having trouble logging in but im not sure how much fun it would be anyways seeing as VS sits on a massive 26% pop against the 40% TR and 34% NC :eek:

Edit#1: Server more or less back to normal then...
    Edit#2: Well.. got in but seems like VS lost another 1%, great.