If your K/D was under 1:1. Would you quit PS2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JasonVoorhees, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Archiadus

I haven't been able to confirm it yet but I believe that the deaths only get removed from your current session scoreboard, they should still show up on your permanent k/d.
  2. Alarox

That is only in-game for a session. A death is still a death in the API and so every website out there that shows your K/D ignores that.

Quite literally, the only reason that was changed is to trick you into thinking that.
  3. AccelPrime

Things wouldn't be so bad if you had hardware from this century... :eek:

E: I can't really answer OP's question, as I can never see myself having 1:1 K/D. :p
  4. Soldat

its a process on lerning the game where to fight and the awareness of the fights
    so many can work up thier K/D just sitting behind spawn room shilds and only getting out of it in a tank or max..
    but if u dont improve under 1:1 over time u really should not talk about Balance ;)
  5. faykid

I'd get jelous of people with good ping and quit.

My ping is not great, too, but I adapt by playing cautiously (notice how my top weapon is AP mines).

I envy people in those YT videos who don't have to put more than 5-6 bullets into someone (even less if headshots) to kill them. I sometimes have to put at least 7 body shots and a couple of headshots to kill my opponent, time to kill on my weapons is noticeably longer compared to what I see in lets-play videos.

I have a friend who loses connection to the game every 10 minutes and has 25 fps at warpgate after all optimizations. He still plays the game, even though he's longer dead than running in it.
  6. hawken is better

I rarely accept revives because of this; I think of it as a cheap, "SOE approved" method of k/d padding. Sort of like vehicles and MAX suits.
  7. Aesir

I know the current goal of the game seems to be Statpadding ... but you know, we might actually get objective based stuff worth while so that having negative K/D will be less important if you can boaster that you took that objective or helped doing so ...
  8. Archiadus

It should only show up on session k/d so even if you log out with 100 - 0 after getting revived 10 times those 10 deaths will still show up on your permanent stats.

So please don't ignore revives that those poor medics worked hard for! :(
  9. Paperlamp

No one is going to care about objective achievements.

Only way to stop people from caring about K/D is removing it from the picture entirely. Until then it'll make a negative impact on the meta since many players will avoid pushing when it's going to mean high likelihood of death before getting more than a kill or two.
    • Up x 2
  10. tekknej

i would quit out of shame if i started looking at my K/D. that metric has no value in PS2.
    • Up x 3
  11. zukhov

Its too easy to pad stats in PS2 for any of them to be meaningful. What's the point of having a legit KDR of 5 when someone who pads can easily get one of 20 or higher. IMO the only way to tell if anyone is any good is to play with them in a team. Someone who values a high KDR may not always be the best player when it comes to capping a base.
    • Up x 1
  12. Dv2R

How dare I dishonour my MLG heritage by having a sub 1 K/D, I would commit seppuku at my earliest convenience.
  13. The Shermanator

No, I wouldn't. I know, because I didn't.I went a good two or three months with a 0.0X K/D. Now it's something like 1.45 global, though I leave most games with a 2 k/d or there abouts. I might have taken a small hit as of late because I'm trying to get the hang of slug shotties and absolutely hating it, and I really don't use many farming tools when I play. I mostly just hang medic.

This game is brutal on new players. The gunplay changes constantly, and the ttks are in an awkward range between HALO and COD. But I'm an older gamer who has bad hands and does not possess the kind of reflexes of my younger peers, though I still do alright. I would encourage anyone new to this game to stick with it. It is almost guarenteed that you will not be able to win many shoot-outs at first. This game is hard, and only gets harder as people get better. But practice makes perfect. It isn't some sort of change you notice all at once. You will become incrementally better until you become passively confident in your ability to play the game.

k/d shouldn't even be the measurement of your value, but the PS2 devs have done a good job of making sure that it is, and sites like Dasanfall have rendered this community one of the most toxic you will find in this particular genre of gaming. Don't pick up the OCD habbits that I did where you care about your k/d; trust me, it kills your enjoyment of the game.
    • Up x 3
  14. Cougarbrit

I've worked long and hard to drag my sorry k/d up from 0.1 to what it is today, if it went below it now, it's not the game that failed, but I.
  15. f0d

its funny that people say to quit if you are under 1:1
    because if there are people that are over a 1:1 kd there must be people that are also under that 1:1 kd

not everyone can have over 1:1 k/d in a game because that would be statistically impossible
    jon
    bob
    fred

jon kills fred 2 times and kills bob once and dies to bob once 3:1
    fred kills bob once and dies to jon 2 times and bob once .33:1
    bob kills jon once and fred once but dies to both fred and jon 1:1

if people quit from being under 1:1 k/d then a significant portion of the playerbase would stop playing and it would almost be a ghost town
    do you really think people should quit if under a silly statistical number? do you really want to reduce the population of the game that much? if people have fun while still being under 1:1 why should they quit?

to everyone under 1:1 k/d keep chugging along having fun and dont listen to the MLGPROLEETISTS - IF you are having fun then that is all that matters
    • Up x 1
  16. Spude

I would quit if my K/D would be under 5
  17. evansra

I would not, I played through beta and for a few months after on my old pc with less than 10 fps most of the time, made me not rly care about k/d.
    TBH I don't like the emphasis placed on it in this game, a well placed concussion grenade or a fluke sundi kill can have far more of an impact on the battle than a farmer ever could :)
  18. Zapon

I generally go sub 1.0(to be fair, my connection often is........ well, sub 1MBPS)

- I also lead several Random Platoons of randoms , quite commonly on my server, and work with the major outfits every single time, and pull off quite the organization on the macro -scale.

In my spare time i'm a Galaxy pilot.

I might not be that great a fighter(i've gotten far better than before though)- but I KNOW I've pissed off several NC and TR commanders on Waterson doing what I do on Mapside2, stealing alerts from under their noses, and just generally keeping with the guys doing the Cha Cha slide on the map to try to outmanuever me(I KNOW you guys think you're slick having platoons hop continents multiple times a half hour- I'm the VS guy who keeps matching you move for move, :p )

/what command chat looks like :p

-

So, why quit ? I've been doing this since MAG back in 2010,

and it's too much fun (then again, im also a RTS player. so ..)
    • Up x 1
  19. phreec

Yes.

Because I wouldn't even be trying and might as well be spending my time elsewhere.
  20. Subway

I don't know what my k/d is on any of my characters. I don't p!ay to pad my stats as I find that makes me play in a way that is completely unfun for me and at the end of the day I am here to have fun . Sometimes I will do stupid stuff just because its fun to do, it doesn't always result in a kill but it does make me smile and to me that is more important than a stat.

If you enjoy keeping a good score then good for you and I hope you have as much fun as I do. :)
    • Up x 4