Killing infiltrators...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by m44v, May 6, 2013.

1. LordDethir

Also forgot to add the fact that INFs have 100 less health then average infantry AND only get 3 auto guns.
    • Up x 1
  2. Halkesh

Okay, now try a thing...
    Set your setting at "very low" for everything, and move the bar to 50%. Now try to spot infiltrator.
  3. BigBooty

In a lot of those kills it seems to be the other infil's lack of balls to uncloak and shoot you immediately, not the ease of discerning and following cloakers.
    I think the current cloak would be perfect, if they could stay cloaked indefinitely. This would make it actually possible to infiltrate bases, but you would still have to uncloak to take someone out. Which means everytime you kill someone, you run a high risk of getting spotted, tracked, and killed yourself. Fairs fair.
  4. BigBooty

I can hear cloakers on Indar when I'm snowman hunting on Esamir. :D
    • Up x 3
  5. ColdCheezePizza

One shoting cloakers in the head with the Commissioner is one of the most satisfying thing in this game for me, makes me chuckle everytime.
  6. Chancellor Gowron

The cloak is more for sniping at long range, staying cloaked and popping out just long enough to take a shot. In this situation you actually are very difficult to impossible to see and nobody should be close enough to hear the cloak.
  7. Pondera

This is how I like to use the cloak. At that distance, it's an aid to snipers. At close range, it's one of many tells that developers seem hell bent on forcing stealth classes to live with in fps games. In Tribes: Ascend, on snowy maps, a cloaked player LEAVES FOOTPRINTS, making the cloak utterly useless.

In PS2, it's so noticeable that it's pretty much useless at any range closer than 40m. Running away from an enemy? Shot. Approaching them. Shot. Running past an enemy to try and ghost cap a point while they're busy derping about? Shot, shot by his friends, crashed into by a Reaver who saw you on thermal.

The only situation I can see it being useful is when everyone else's eyes are elsewhere, which might allow you to do the task you've got in mind without actually being cloaked to begin with.

And lastly, I constantly hear people complaining about how the cloak appears on low settings, or how it doesn't or I'm not even sure. The reports are conflicting. The question I pose is why we're diminishing the effectiveness of something that could be extremely fun because little Timmy is running PS2 on his grandmother's Commodore 64? Shouldn't we be gearing the game to the largest applicable demographic when it comes to graphics and performance?
    • Up x 2
  8. Godsmangamer

look down the dates on the comments there was a time early on where cloak was painfully visable on low settings and then updated painfully obvious on high settings. Now with the current iteration I believe they have gotten the cloak a lot closer to being good for at least most settings.

That should explain why you got those conflicting reports.
    fairness across all settings creates better more predictable balanced gameplay for all players.
  9. BillBoBaggins

SMG's and any other fully auto weapon need removing from the infil class.It is total cheese and combined with the new OP motion sensor is EZ mode and is why alot of people choose to play this way. Hard to detect,you have a smg and a sensor what works like a blackbird(SR71) from blops.
  10. kaolla

don't see any problem smg aren't that powerfull, most time you can be killed by a HA that put his shield on, or anyone using a shotgun, and well it help when you inflitrator or want to help more in building that waiting outside
    • Up x 2
  11. salembeats

Obviously this is why ScourgeOfTheServer (someone who admittedly goes out of his way to abuse what he sees as broken mechanics, to great effect) plays Infil all the time, right? ;)

[IMG]

If someone manages to survive through your teammates undetected with a cloak that isn't too hard to see in close quarters, you deserve to be destroyed by this person if he has a moderately high amount of aim skill.

If anything is cheesy, it's the HA resist shield. I personally don't mind it too much (I like a challenge), but that'd be my pick for "cheesiest class ability" if I was forced to choose.
    • Up x 5
  12. m44v

Please, lets not derail this thread because there's somebody that didn't play infiltrator whining about them, just ignore the ignorant.

So far not much changed since the time I made this thread, only that the cloak in low settings is almost invisible now. There's the stalker cloak but so far I haven't played against it so I can't honestly give an opinion, but since it still has same glass look and the same sound I don't believe is much better.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Pretty much all of that.

The Stalker Cloak works exceptionally well as an ambush oriented cloaking device. You're not going to be very mobile...but you're going to be able to guard hotspots and pick people off as they're distracted. I used it at Indar with a lot of success during a point where the enemy was piling up near a wall to fire towards the opposite base against my faction. After a LONG time of getting to that base with the cloaking device, getting up onto that wall, and nestling back into a nook...I got large amount of kills before they found me.

It rewards you for taking the time to flank and then setting up position near a point where the enemy piles up...if you're using the crossbow at least, the built in silencing feature is delicious.
  14. m44v

I know, but when you say that, I can't help but think you played against deaf players or players that just didn't want to bother in rooting you out. If you made a lot of kills, then that means you had to uncloak and cloak a lot, and It doesn't take a genius to follow the sound. I might be wrong but I remain unconvinced.
  15. BillHaverchuck

Infs is class that a lot of new players play because they think its easy but its not. It may be easy to kill one person but remaining alive is a challenge.
    • Up x 2
  16. Tenebrae Aeterna

They were all standing under two Phalanx Turrets with heavy weapons fire from their own guns...and I was in a very nice little nook while crouched. I only uncloaked for a few seconds and then right back into deep cloak, some looked around a bit...but without any idea where to look they were essentially clueless and right back to trying to assault the enemy.

No one had the flashlight either, from what I could tell.

It doesn't always work, I'm not trying to paint it as the best thing in the world...but when it does work, it can be extremely fun.
  17. BillHaverchuck

Sometimes when the battle is chaos people cant bother chasing the cloaker. Only noobs stay still when cloaking uncloaking. If you are moving a lot and try to flank people all the time they have hard time noticing you even if they hear you.
  18. TheStonehawk

[q
    No not really. My comp has it on medium and I can't see cloakers at all, yet my friend runs on high and he can see cloakers when they are a thousand miles away sniping on a far ridge. He just shoots at the huge outlined blur perched on the hill. I'd be better off if LA had a sniper so then I could at least get up to someplace super high for a sniper vantage point.
  19. Godsmangamer

Yeah after I posted this I found other information that confirmed no they did little to correct the visibility on high graphics settings
    • Up x 1
  20. Moz

To me it seem sthe way you want to play would suit the nano-armor cloaking better than the standard hunter cloak.

You could play more like an assault class only using your cloak for the escape damage reduction.

Just a thought, didnt have time to read the whole thread........ bloody work. So sorry if someone already suggested it to you.

Maybe try a load out with a scout rifle, nano-armor cloaking, grenade bando and frags with a moition spotter and play it more like a squad support role using your cloak only once under fire.

I tried a loadout like this and it didnt really fit my playstyle HOWEVER i could see how it could be useful in the correct hands.