Of Gaming mouses and keybinds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zero M0nster, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Zero M0nster

Hello Planetside 2 community,

Most of the parts for my computer that I am building have not arrived but I imagine it will preform quite well (3570k, 8gb RAM, XFX AMD Radeon 7870 2GB) But thats not what i'm talking about today. I am getting a gaming mouse by the name of Anker® 8000 DPI High Precision Programmable Laser Gaming and it comes with three buttons on the thumb, 1 button above and below the mouse wheel. I am thinking of having reload, ability, and knife on the thumb for infantry. Could I maybe get some feedback on optimal keybinds? Thanks and for aircraft I would probobly use altitude lower/gain on the thumb
  2. Aegie

Yeah, I bind reload, ability and knife but I have a fairly different mouse. I also bind crouch, grenade, Mumble push-to-talk, redeploy- pretty much everything but jump (since LA and used to space bar) and Q spot.

My mousewheel has push-left and push-right buttons and I use push-right as reload and push-left as grenade.

I would say that your first priorities for keybindings should go to those activities that most frequently take your WASD fingers away from movement keys- therefore, I would prioritize reload and ability way before knife, etc.
  3. HerpTheDerp

Rule to shop by: if it has "gaming" in the name, it's overpriced by a factor of at least 2
    • Up x 5
  4. WyrdHarper

Or rebind WASD to ESDF so your fingers barely have to move for such things D:
    Ie, I have reload on R,grenade(I play engineer mostly so don't care about infantry ability)/vehicle ability on W, and so using either requires a slight shift of the middle finger and no change to handshape, and leaves mouse keybindings more open (I have 3, set to knife on thumb, primary on fourth finger, and secondary on middle), so I rarely have to move my hands from their initial position. Exceptions are using terminals/getting in vehicles, which is T, and a couple of underused things. Z/X/C are all voice and Caps Lock is easily reachable with my pinky so I use it for command chat. G is infantry ability and A is utility slot (Mines!). Crouch is V; for the most part my common keybinds are all either on the mouse or within one key of movement so I don't have to change handshape or move them much in combat.
    • Up x 1
  5. aRottenKomquat

I've got a Razer Naga Hex with six thumb buttons, bound to all the voice chat channels. 1 - Prox, 2 - Squad, 3 - Platoon, 4 - TeamSpeak, 5 - Outfit, 6 - Command. If you play in squads or platoons a lot, the chat channels are really the best thing to rebind there.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stromberg

logitech calls all their stuff with a "g" prefix. and my g700 which still works like a charm after 7! years (even after smashing it on the table few times in rage ^^) was worth every cent of the 60€ i payed for it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Vinakis

I've got the Razer Naga Epic (play more EQ/2 than Planetside 2) and have knife, grenade, switch fire mode, use ability, and deploy bound to the thumb buttons. Somewhat of an odd layout to get used to, but it works pretty well for me.
  8. Stromberg

for aircraft you will need pitch up/down on the thumb. optionally bind mouse buttons for roll left/right for some fancy maneuvers, but that's really just optional. leave the up/down thrusters on the keyboard.
  9. Ultimatestormer

I have TS3, Squad, and Platoon chat on my gaming mouse. I would bind the other three buttons I have to something in game, but I'm too lazy to switch set-ups when in or out of the game, so the rest are bound to more general purpose things (but they wouldn't if horizontal scrolling could be bound to something in PS2 :mad:).
  10. Kitakami

If it's the three thumb buttons like the Logitech G500, I'd go pitch up, pitch down, and knife attack. Nothing too complicated.
  11. Lamat

Should have outright called the thread "Of mice and men"

I use a mans mouse: razor Naga, 12 buttons of manly power.
    mapped 1-5 weapons, 6 grenade, 7 command chat, 8 alt firemode switch, 9 outfit chat, 10 squad chat, 11 platoon chat, 12 proxy chat.
    Scroll wheel map zoom, click knife

Instead of gaming keyboard G15 which I have, I now use a logitch G13 game pad and have maped all the other handy keys on it. It better suits your hand than a keyboard. This setup is boss! Initially you will suck a bit when you switch to a gamepad, but once you train your muscle memory it is so much more efficient.
  12. TheMercator

I wouldnt use the buttons below and above the mouse wheel, the danger of rolling it while pressing them is to high. I have set alternative knive and reload to my thumb buttons. Everything else is nearly standard. Why One would set pitch up and down to his mouse buttons is unimaginable for me.
  13. aRottenKomquat

You could also bind left-click to "Suicide", but only if you're not TR. :eek:
  14. Lamat

It allows you to pitch faster than you could ever move the mouse, try it out.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lamat

That would be a hilarious prank on a friend, macro /suicide on their mouse or keyboard.
  16. Pirbi

I'd suggest most people not do that and move most coms channels to a less convenient place. So if it's important enough to be said, it's important enough to reach for. Still, I've been looking at getting the Hex.
  17. ManyHats

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with this one. Keybinds, mice, and gaming keyboards are kind of a personal obsession for me. I probably buy at least one gaming mouse a month, and have done for a few years now. Wrote my own software for heat-maps, stuff like that. I'll give some random points below.

General Advice
    1. Yes, anything tagged 'gaming' is overpriced. However, a good gaming mouse/mat/keyboard combo that is set-up properly will feel... natural. You won't notice how good it's working, because you'll be too busy kill-streaking to care. When you go back to anything else, it will feel horrible. You will wonder how the hell you ever aimed with the old setup.
    2. A good setup will not make you a good player automatically. A bad setup WILL hold you back.
    3. If you're left-handed (I am), forget it. Learn to mouse right handed. This opens up way more choices of viable gaming mice. I did (after 20 years of left-handed mousing), and I have never looked back.
    4. For the love of god, buy yourself a good hard mouse mat. If you have $70 to spend; split it 50/50 on the mat and the mouse. It DOES matter. If you only have $35, buy the mat and not the mouse.
    5. It's all personal taste, but don't buy ANY mouse that hasn't made it onto a list of mice with flawless sensors. (just google 'flawless sensor mouse list'). Avoid laser mice like the plague; go optical, go 800 dpi, and don't look back. The importance of a good, flawless optical sensor cannot but understated.
    More Specific Advice
    1. Seriously, 800dpi opticals are where it's at. Spend time in VR setting up your sensitivities. I'd recommend spending at least two play sessions worth of time on it. Google videos for help; there are many.
    2. Use different sens for ADS and hipfire. For ADS, you want to be pixel-perfect; for hipfire, you want to be able to spin round and catch the guy who ran past / through you.
    3. Don't get over-excited about the mice with a zillion buttons. In the heat of combat, you WILL press the wrong damn button right when it matters most. Some extra buttons help, but not too many.
    4. Map the buttons that are life or death FIRST. If you run out of ammo a lot, you'll want pistol or knife handy; if you're a HA or a INF, the ability key gets used a lot, and also means life or death; and so on.
    5. When you've changed your map, take time to get used it; the perfect map takes trial, error, blood, sweat and tears, but it is worth it - I know I have a real advantage over people using a two button mouse.

Mice Of Mention (or 'mice I've been using for P2 lately')
    • Razer Naga Hex. good sensor, good button placement. solid choice.
    • Logitech G602. Good balance of extra buttons to placement. contender.
    • Roccat Pyra, Kova+, Kone Pure Optical damn fine sensors, lighter and smaller, and the easykey can be used for some very fast switching if you take the time to set it up. Cheap too).
    • Logitech G600 too many buttons, crap sensor. Great for themepark MMO's though.
    • Razer DeathAdder a legend for a reason. Needs more buttons.
    • Coolermaster CM30 - like a deathadder, but cheaper and suited to a smaller-handed gamer.

Think I'm going over the top with all this? Watch the videos of top players on youtube; notice how OFTEN and how FAST AND SMOOTHLY they switch weapons/tools/medpacks.

As a HA, I can activate a shield, chuck a nade, dump a mag, switch to pistol and dump the pistol mag, run round a corner, switch to heals, pop the heal, reload both guns and then switch the shield back on without ever taking a finger off the forward / backward / left / right / sprint / crouch / jump keys.
    • Up x 2
  18. Lamat

Interesting Manyhats.

Any specific hard mouse pads youd recommend?

Looking at a Razor Manticor Elite Aluminum, made from durable aircraft aluminum. Sounds bad a$$
  19. TheMercator

Sounds pretty useless for me. Elite, and made out of airplane aluminium(Probably the same used for tinfoil) sound like cheat marketing names...
  20. Badname3073

Cloak - right mouse button
    Knife - left mouse button

EDIT: Also, it's "mice"
    • Up x 1