Why should anyone prefer PA shotguns to SMG?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, Dec 26, 2013.

1. OldMaster80

Same cost, same range, but SMGs seem to completely outperform PA shotguns. They got Amazing time to kill, can fit advanced laser sight and they require very little skills in order to do some kills. On the other hand PA shotguns need a lot of good aim and practice, without to mention if both soldiers are moving it's very hard to hit anything.
  2. vsae

Because smg sucks?
    Because PA shotgun allows you to OSK people?
    Because Infiltrators cant equip them (thank god)
    Because light assault can have drop unexpected and kill with zero TTK and run away thus surviving, rather than spray the smg and be vulnerable.
    Furthermore, why equip an smg if you can use carbine.

Maybe its really subjective, but I think SMGs are hugely overrated.
    • Up x 2
  3. Alarox

I use both. Why would I use a Bruiser over a Blitz? Because the Bruiser allows me to insta-kill any other infantry, completely bypassing any advantage they would have and allowing me to potentially take on multiple opponents and win. The SMG is good, but it is still in the same TTK class as a Carbine, LMG, and AR. The SMG just takes the idea of those, sacrifices ranged capabilities, and gives you CQC advantages.

Barring Infiltrators, SMGs are about fighting fair. Pump Action shotguns let me make the rules.
  4. Kitakami

Speaking as someone with an attrocious k:d, I can testify that using the most optimal weapon isn't always the most fun.

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I find using the pump-action shotguns (and before that, the UBSG) is fun. Imo an SMG is better than any other weapon in most infantry combat in the PS2, but I quickly got bored of 'em. There's no gimmick to using them.

With a pump-action, it's like you have one cast of your spear, so you better make it count. So I guess, when you get a run of kills with it, it feels much more rewarding, rather than motoring through enemies with an SMG or other automatic.

Now that sway's been removed from the close range bolt-actions, I think they're next on my to-do list. ;)
    • Up x 2
  5. St0mpy

because fun?
  6. RF404

Because a PA shotgun can let you kill up to 6 full health people before you have to reload
    • Up x 1
  7. Nephera

some people just like the feel of a pump action shotgun
    • Up x 2
  8. Larolyn

Pump Action rewards accuracy and positioning with a OHK.

SMG rewards accuracy and positioning with a lot more spraying of bullets.

Pump Action is just more suited for tower environments in a big even tower fight where as SMG is more useful for fighting against the odds.

Each has their own place and time to be used.
    • Up x 1
  9. Scudmungus

[IMG]
    Shotguns
    • Up x 2
  10. ST4LK3R

Lol, shotgun users talking about skillz. Deimos and Phobos are just too easy and they are your weapon of choice if you think instagibing people is fun.
  11. Catch23

Same range? Hardly

SMGs are the easiest to use weapons in the game. While they are limited in range this is not halfway compareble to shotties, not even the Jackhammer.
    If you pass a certain skill level, carbines outperform SMGs. SMGs are ideal starter weapons on LAs when new to the game. Easy to use, effective and jets can get you into and out of action faster. Relying on a shield from the start, thus getting into the habit of exchanging fire, leads to bad playstyle imo.
    I don't use shotguns anymore and I rarely die to them after playing exclusively with them for months. CQC headshooting with Carbs/SMGs is more effective and Carbs/ MCG/ Jackhammer beat SMGs and PAs on average.
  12. Aegie

I do not use either very often but when I look for a CQC specific weapon I prefer the PA shotguns because they are among the only distinct weapons in the game because just about everything, outside of sidearms, are automatic. Of course, there are semi-auto sniper rifles and BRs but these are fairly class restricted. Personally, I would love to see more semi-auto options available to all classes that can actually hold their own but until then PA are really the only things that can do so but, of course, only within CQC.
  13. Vinakis

PA shotguns are essential for playing the role of a Space Cowboy when equipping them with extended mags and slug ammo.
    It also gives light assaults something they can snipe with. With the Bruiser, 1 slug to the head or 2 to the body kills any non MAX infantry under 20m, and beyond that it's 2 to the head or 3 to the body for as far as someone's head is bigger than 2 pixels.
  14. PrimePriest

Because MLGness.
  15. Nocturnal7x

lol @ PA requires aim...what are you smoking? point and click. No recoil, no tracking just point and click. The worst players can use those guns and win. Its a ****** mechanic, but its what SOE would consider and equalizer. Its for the bad bad bad.
    • Up x 1
  16. DJPenguin

Cause i can't put slugs in an SMG.
  17. Unclematos7

lol @ SMG requires aim...what are you smoking? point and hold LMB. No recoil, no tracking just hold LMB. The worst players can use those guns and win. It's a ****** mechanic, but it's what SOE would consider an equalizer. It's for the bad bad bad.
    • Up x 2
  18. BlazingTiger

You can also do that with any other weapon (carbines, smg, lmg, etc.). Point and click. But you ain't going to hit anything if you don't aim at your target... so please don't talk like you're a pro, pro. :)
    • Up x 2
  19. teks

Smgs are generally worse then equililent carbines. They are overrated. Shotguns are the cqc champions, and you pick them over smgs when you want to win against anyone within 5 meters.

After the changes, tr probably has reason to pick smgs over carbines, but both the nc and vs have better options in the carbines with a faster ttk and more range/versitility as well. If you think my vx6-7 is scared of a snub nosed little smg your out of your mind. It beats every smg at every range period.
  20. FieldMarshall

Unless you get a SMG with 0 TTK then its nowhere near a PA...
    • Up x 1