Advice please - New update slashed my FPS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Saool, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Saool

Prior to the new game update (to make things faster) I enjoyed a reasonable FPS. Not outstanding, but I did play with the graphics on some pretty high settings.

Today I went into PS for the first time since the patch (I was working away last week) and I could not hit a cow's **** with a banjo and medium range and lost every singer attempt at cqc.

I checked my FPS and found it ranging from 9 - 21.

I have reduced the graphics setting to medium and it plays very smooth with a fps of 55 - 60. However, I don't like that I have had to down grade my graphics for no good reason. It was fine last week.

Does anyone know of anything in the patch that might have caused this and/or is able to suggest a solution?

P.S. I put this here as the tech help forum is usually garbage.

P.P.S. Serious answers to the problem please. Not childish 'buy a fast PC' bollox. I say again, it was fine last week.

P.P.P.S. Aren't these patches supposed to make the game faster?
  2. LordMondando

What are your specs - as much detail as possible.
    Is performance the same in other CPU demanding games?
    Have you installed any beta drivers?
    Have you deleted useroptions.ini?
  3. Saool

Here are the fundamentals.

Win 7 32-bit
    Intel Core i5 CPY 2.67Ghz (4CPUs)
    4096MB Ram
    DirectX 11
    ATI Radion HD 5800
    Realtek HI-Def Audio (on board)

- Performance is fine in other games.
    - I have not installed any beta drivers. I have had a windows update.
    - I have not deleted the ini file.
  4. MedecineMan

With those specs I would say you're right where you should be in terms of performance.
  5. Saool

Again I stress:

Last week these specs ran PS2 on High pretty well.

This week they don't.

Something has changed. That change is almost certainly the new update. Saying well your PC is out of date is ridiculous. It would mean in the patch the engine was updated so that the requirements went up. If that was the case then fair enough. But I would expect to see loads of people complaining that there FPS has suddenly gone through the floor. Also this patch was to speed things up, not slow them down for anyone but people who can afford top end PCs.

So, serious answers here. There is clearly something awry. And saying oh well, is not the answer.
  6. ikillyou1990

Have the same issue.
  7. LordMondando

Well first off delete the .ini file, it resets if its not found onload up. So this is not a 'delete system32' style 'tip'.

For whatever reason, from patch to patch, an old one can occasionally cause issues with the new build. God knows why, but SOE will tell you to do this anyway.

The patch should not have caused this, and is not on people with 'lower end' settings. Whilst its an open possibility its a fairly rare conflict between PS2 and your particular hardware setup, there are other possibilities to look into, namely a completely coincidental increase in the actual size of battles your playing in etc. I know this is not what you want to here, but computer science is a science in large part because the complexity involved cause weird **** to happen and then its scientific method time: namely we need to try and eliminate as many of the extraneous variables as quickly as possible.

Also what CPU exactly, the i5-750?

Furthermore, submit a support ticket if you have not already, also cite this thread in it, so they can keep up with what can/cannot be eliminated. It is perfectly possible it is the patch, but its also possible its not.

Also any idea which particular HD5800 it was? A 1gig variant and yeah, only working well on medium unless the particular area is dead makes perfect sense.

My suspicion is, if the .ini file doesn't solve it, the problems basically going to come down to primary memory in either the RAM or VRAM having to pull stuff from the secondary memory (HD) like textures, that **** is slow as hell.
  8. IamDH

They did something do the FoV or something along those lines
  9. Thorval

I posted this the other day, still applies I think.Many of the issues we think are from this patch like frame rates and odd placement of stairs and buggy stuff may be from the hasty move over to test servers. I am not sure if they have moved it back or not yet.

"I think most of the issues that are cropping up right now is because all the severs are basically test servers until they fix the real ones with that crashing issue? I dunno just something I've heard. Even so, you need to relax and enjoy the game, there will be bugs, and sometimes you won't get that kill because of some lag.

I just finished an alert on Connery fighting in a Biolab and had bunches of fun, didn't notice anything terribly out of place or shots not landing properly. Animations were alright and my foes had no issues drilling me into the ground with their lazors :p Got killed by a proxy mine along with two other people. Everything seems to work just fine, and the bugs are not bothering me either, even if I do see one its not that infuriating.

Their team for bug testing isn't hundreds large, you are probably expecting maybe too much out of the poor folks while they are keeping the game running through the holidays while most of them would probably prefer to take a break. Talk to your friends, shoot some snowmen, have a few laughs, and enjoy yourself instead of trying to crucify the dev team for things that aren't that big a deal."
  10. Saool

Useful info, thanks.

I did this and at first I thought it might have worked. I'm still feel there is an improvement, but it is still no where near as good as pre patch.

I also keep asking is this just my perception because I am not as tanky now (see sig for explanation, and yes, I still run with this combo atm), and they did tweak LMGs. But it is defo worse.

I'm running a custom graphics set up now that I am tweaking to look as good as pos with a stable FPS of ideally 40 - 50+.

I genuinely hope this is a temp issue that will be fixed soon. Failing that I may have to treat myself to a memory upgrade. 16gb does sound nice.