Warp Gate Towers are Abandoned

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rainproof, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Rainproof

[IMG]

The Warp Gate Tower of Old

The warp gate defense towers have had their teeth pulled with the removal of almost all of the canon and AA guns on Indar and Esamir (Amerish is next no doubt). The one remaining AA gun at each tower has been repositioned to face the Warp gate?? A lot of great battles have taken place at Warp Gates but now there's no reason to even go there. The towers are abandon now, no guns to farm or soldiers to shoot at. This is sort of the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I'll still be playing the game but I've discontinued my Recurring Membership that I've had since the release of the game.
  2. MrMurdok

What?
  3. Ryme

Looks the same to me. I visit them every time I move out from the gate too.
  4. Poorform

This is...by far the stupidest reason to cancel a sub I have ever heard in any mmo i've ever played.

/starts slow cap
    • Up x 5
  5. RHINO_Mk.II

It does suck, but honestly how often did you see them used? Nobody makes a serious effort to camp warpgates anymore, they just push up to it and redeploy somewhere else.
  6. Rainproof

New Warp Gate as of 12-20-2013[IMG]
  7. Corvus Corax

since when do warpgates ever have epic battles?
  8. Devrailis

Old Esamir: NorthWest Warp <==> Northern Weigh Station
    • Up x 3
  9. Rainproof

Every time the enemy pushes down to a Warp Gate.
    • Up x 1
  10. CptSundancer

The only great battles I can think of happening near warp gates were way back when I started playing. The TR owned Indar and was very reluctant to give it up. They would get down to one or two territories and then would fight back and take a different one. I actually took part in a few vicious tank battles at 2 am because of this.

But aside from that, getting warp gated usually means no one from your faction is on that continent. And you really only get to use the turrets when you're warp gated. So….
  11. Kristan

I think there is no point of those towers since warpgate area pretty much protected by the pain field which works pretty far.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ryme

Can you even get up to an enemy warpgate tower? Every time I get within a few hundred meters of one, the screen goes grey and tells me to back off. I really don't see the point of them if there's an invisible border that prevents enemies from even getting within LOS range.
  13. Rainproof

I guess my issue is "What benefit is there in removing the Guns?" Why screw with it at all![IMG][IMG][IMG]
    • Up x 2
  14. NC_agent00kevin

I used to see it fairly often. Some of the best battles happened at the warpgates. Especially right after release, playing NC on Indar. We were constantly warpgated.
    • Up x 2
  15. Tommyp2006

Warp gate towers at the moment are useless anyways. Theres no reason to warp gate camp with the continent cap threshold lowered to 75%, and theyre too far away from the hex boarders to matter. They will only start mattering when warpgates become cappable
    • Up x 2
  16. NinjaTurtle

I remember the first day I played the game the NC were warp gated on Amerish and I sat in a WG tower shooting turrets at TR tanks.

I have since not once got into a WG tower turret again because they are pointless.

Until it is possible to invade and take an enemies WG for continental conquest once all territory is taken around the WG they will be forever alone
  17. Eyeklops

Turrets are "live" objects in the game world and take up server/client resources. Most likely they looked at the data and culled the least used ones out for OMFG.

Note: They axed a bunch of base terminals for the same reason, which hurt the players way more than the turrets at WG towers. If you're going to complain about anything, complain about that. Not having an equipment terminal on the ground floor of a Tech plant really, really sucks.
  18. AzureKnight

i remember my first NC I played, we had the SE Indar gate... We were warp gated... All it was was farming. The cliffs around the gate held all the enemies and we had no land beyond the gate. The Tower guns couldn't point even half that height, Phoenix users missles died before they could even get close, anything that left the gate was insta-gibbed by enough power to, if they could, destroy a warp gate and the snipers, oh god the snipers...

There's very few times now that I see fights happen at gates. With the nearest cap points covered usually by convenient hills, you can't lay suppressive fire from your warp gate at enemies who may be attempting to warp gate you. I don't mind the towers losing some of their bite. They probably did it for "Optimizing"

however, if they plan on continent locking, those gates better be re-armed to the freaking teeth as a final stand before taking the place over.

This by far has been the worst thing I've noticed with that patch. It sucks to be at the top of the tower with an impending zerg coming so you need to repair broken turrets, but now you have to spend roughly 4-8 times the amount of time to change out if you're not a, engi. Not to mention having to run out in to the open...

I don't see why they couldn't just remove one vehicle terminal and have the coding saying "If Pad 1 spawns vehicle, use pad 2" or something like that...
  19. RHINO_Mk.II

You can still use the turrets in them to shoot at enemy who are camping just outside the out of bounds bubble, making them back off a bit. The further they back off, the more forces they need to hold the blockade.