Halberd on vehicle now weaker than rocket launcher on infantry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beef Wellington, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Beef Wellington

Now I'm testing this in VR Training with a Halberd mounted on my Harasser. These are the amount of shots it takes to kill...

Infantry - 2 shots
    MAX Unit - 4 shots
    Liberator - 10 shots

I then switched to a Heavy Assault class with the S1 Rocket Launcher (the default) and tested the amount of shots it takes to kill...

Infantry - 1 shot
    MAX Unit - 2 shots
    Liberator - 5 shots

So, we've got shoulder mounted rocket launchers that are now stronger than the vehicle mounted rocket launchers? You could put a Heavy Assault in the rear seat of a Harasser and he would be more deadly than the main turret?

Is this a bug, or are the numbers in VR Training different from reality? This seems way out of wack.
    • Up x 1
  2. Spude

SOE's DATA shows that halberds were performing too well, so they nerfed em useless.
    • Up x 5
  3. Spartan3123

This is what happens when you left software engineers 'do' the stats. Statistics can be very deceptive unless you are an expert. Statistics and probability model uncertainty in a model. If you know nothing about a coin toss the probability of heads is 50%, it doesn't mean you cant predict the coin toss ie if you have a good model.

In game design logic/authenticity > stats
    please SOE for the love of god don't nerf things by going ... well weapon A 'out performs' weapon B based on stat A = NERF
    please start checking your nerfs by asking does this sound realistic... is it fair, consider trade-off charts and asymmetric balance. Simple statistics is not good enough !

Stop allowing Software Engineers to do game balance, get game designers with the appropriate background in creating realistic but enjoyable games to do the balance.

In the field of science fiction, certain physics can be ignored for enjoyment. Its the same with FPS games ... absolute realism is not implemented. BUT PLEASE don't remove ALL realism/ authenticity for the sake of 'balance' or statistical 'balance'

We want a MMO BF2/FPS game not MMO TF2 or MMO Battle field heroes.....

I hope someone from SOE reads this....
    • Up x 6
  4. JonboyX

^ Love how everyone knows better than the developers.

I think they look at things fairly objectively. A good premise for balance is that the options available are used fairly evenly (see nanoweave vs. all other armour types). When that ceases to be the case, as it was starting to be for the halberd, then maybe it triggers a warning that it is being overly used because it's too effective.

@ OP ... I also agree that hand held rockets are too numerous. It'd be better, though maybe less fun, to have fewer rockets but for them to hurt when they hit.
  5. Spartan3123

or maybe it was more effective because it was more popular ... than running around as a HA?
    If something is popular then people naturally get good at it. The question is ... is it popular because it was fun to use or was it OP ?

This is why looking at dumb stats on an excel sheet will get you no where. If what the OP says is true then this nerf was way toostrong period.
  6. Inex

You're going to want to wait a few days on that, especially when doing AI testing. There's something wrong with splash damage; infantry dummies at the very least, and possibly the vehicles as well. I was in there earlier and found that it takes more than 5 Titan HE rounds to kill a VS Inf with splash damage from ~1m.
  7. JonboyX

Phoenix is fun to use.
    Phoenix is ineffective to use.
    Phoenix isn't used much.
    ... was the first example that came to my mind.

ZOE was fun to use.
    ZOE was very effective to use.
    ZOE got nerfed.
    ... was the second.

I would expect popularity to follow effectiveness rather than fun. Generally being killed is not fun, so people go with what works best as killing others is fun (I stress in computer games here) regardless of how interesting they are to use. The Striker might be a good example also. Boring to use. Incredibly effective to use. Used a lot. Got nerfed. Not fun + not effective = not used anywhere near as much.
  8. Tekuila

Splash doesn't work in the VR.
  9. vsae

There is a word, that SPLASH damage doesnt work in VR.
  10. Axehilt

If you want us to take you seriously, you should probably example the Halberd in its intended role (anti-vehicle.)

If you want to kill infantry/MAXes, you should probably take an anti-infantry weapon (Fury, etc.)

If you want to be a hero, you should suggest that infantry rockets also shouldn't be 1-shotting people (or at the very least should do lethal self-damage to the user if fired point-blank at someone inside 8m.)
  11. Beef Wellington

What do you consider a Liberator?
  12. Axehilt

It's an aircraft. Halberds' design already showed pretty clearly (limited upward arc) that it wasn't supposed to be great against air.

It's just obviously better to discuss the weapon in terms of TTK and in terms of its intended role, taking into consideration the platform's speed and other turret choices. The Halberd really only has to be the best general AV weapon for the Harasser specifically.

People need to realize that it's fine for the Halberd to no longer be strong against all target types, since that was never its intended role. If you want a generalized turret, you take the Basilisk. If you want to deal with armor at short range, you choose the Vulcan/Saron. If you want to deal with armor at all ranges, you choose the Enforcer/Halberd. If you want to deal with infantry/MAXes, you're going to choose different turrets entirely (although the Basilisk is again the generalized choice, good but not excellent against all targets.)

And like I said, if infantry rockets felt specialized to their intended role, that would also improve the game.
  13. Vinakis

Obviously a weapon that requires mounting on vehicles is going to be less powerful than one an infantryman can carry on his shoulder!

:rolleyes:
  14. Kataclysmic

So people are angry/mad/sad because their Rocket launcher located on their armor has been made weaker then the one used by squishy, slow moving troops whos rocket launcher also reloads alot slower, has a worse arc, less ammunition and a slower projectile so its harder to hit with.

(sarcasm) the odasity!!! how could they ever do such a thing~?!
    Its like complaining that the ESF's dont have a full-auto Daltonwithout bullet drop as a nose gun option.
  15. Ronin Oni

Not useless. Still as good AV as they've always been.... just less multi-purpose (that's the Bassilisks role) as it would outperform AI weapons at AI....

so... yah.

I do think it was over the top though. It should be the same as RL's. Direct hit = kill unless they've maxed (or 4/5) Flak armor.

But it really was too effective at basically everything.
  16. Hanti

A rocket launcher, mounted or not, which needs 2 hits (with direct hits) to kill a target out of flesh, is just wrong. Don't know how you guys can justify it.
  17. Hibiki54

Ground vehicle weapons were fine until this patch.