VS shotguns still have their lower velocity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chipay, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Chipay

I can see why SOE wants the VS shotguns to have bullet drop, because they want shotguns to perform the same across factions but at the moment VS slugs are at a great disadvantage compared to TR and NC slugs.
    Velocity:

VS______NC______TR
    275_____300______300
    275_____300______300
    275_____300______300
    275_____300______300
    250_____275______275

It goes without saying that an extra 25m/s does wonders at range, with VS no longer having no bullet drop the compensation and leading for targets at range is far higher than the other factions.
    • Up x 7
  2. Chipay

I am complaining, and I find my complaints justified.
    If the idea behind these changes was to make shotguns perform the same across all factions than it was wrongly implemented, because VS shotguns now have a clear disadvantage at range.

Not quite, as I said, they are at a clear disadvantage.

• Up x 4
  3. Prudentia

Fixed
  4. Xasapis

Lets consolidate this non issue in one thread.
  5. FateJH

I thought the official word was that no bullet drop is not really a viable (competitive) faction trait?
  6. Squibo

So they have drop now. Is it the SAME drop as TR and NC or is it less drop than NC and TR? If it's the same drop, thats a little bit of a disadvantage but it's still not by much. It sets them apart from the other factions at least.
  7. deggy

Assuming that gravity for all shotguns is now the same, they have MORE drop.
  8. Furrydaus

Ermm i didn't say that....
  9. MurderBunneh

So funny "these people". Drop is meaningless but 25ms is the world? lol 25ms is almost imperceptible. But I agree it should be equal. And the Battlerifle those should be equal too. Introduce faction traits to all of them or none of them.
    • Up x 1
  10. Furrydaus

Alright sorry for my nonsense. Currently as I see it balance is smtgh that isn't well produced and that vanu should have their no bullet drop shotguns. But the shotguns with slugs shouldn't be able to snipe people from far. They should have a damage falloff. Imo SOE nerfed alot of things a little too much. Tbh they should do this in a small patch
  11. Furrydaus

I'm sorry for my nonsense earlier. My younger brother seemed to typed nonsense into random threads throughout the forums. I'll adress those that are not liked by the community. If you look into some posts i made, they are nonsensical memes. He used my pc while i was away. (forgot to logout when i went out). I'm extremely sorry on my behalf
  12. sindz

Doesnt surprise me, SOE have no clue what they are doing about the no bullet drop "perk". Its the worst trait in the game.
  13. Rodinvac

Remember when most VS guns had an additional damage penalty applied to them to "balance" this trait?
    • Up x 2
  14. Dark Pulse

Let me ask this: Why the hell are you using a shotgun at a range where a 25m/sec slower bullet velocity will even matter?

You can't spray-snipe with your shotguns anymore, just like any other faction, and you now basically have no reason to be using them outside of less than 40 meters away or so... like they were intended to be used.

Get over it.
  15. Xasapis

You remember half of it. The damage drop off was happening sooner than the TR and NC weapons, which means that the VS weapons were penalised if used at long range (which is the reason VS were trying to close the gap in infantry fights). The more severe damage drop off though, also gave a slight increase in close quarter damage, compared to the TR and NC weapons. Since most fights happen in close to mid quarters and long range fights are a rarity, one can argue that the particular change was more a nerf than a buff, contrary to what you try to suggest.
  16. Flukeman62

Just going to say that you probably should use the battle rifles (of which you have a straight up better version) if you want to snipe at the sort of ranges that 25m/s extra projectile speed becomes critical.
  17. Chipay

I never said that no bullet drop isn't meaningful, it's the reason the VS shotguns are getting changed to be more like the NC's and TR's.
    However, I am complaining about the VS advantage getting removed but the disadvantage.

That said 25m/s is a velocity difference of almost 10% in this case, which translate into leading and TTK differences.
  18. JackD

You know that VS is the high accuracy faction and not the Shotgun faction?
  19. Aegie

Yeah, if they are going to remove the no drop then they should remove the velocity penalty as well.

Strangely, shotguns were fairly balanced in performance metrics, probably in part because they granted no drop but implemented the velocity penalty. With Scout Rifles, however, VS have (or at least had, not sure about patch) no drop and do not suffer a similar velocity penalty and it is here where the performance metrics are a bit skewed in favor of the VS Scout Rifles (and consistently across them by about the same factor). So it would be really odd if they took the no drop from shotguns (previously fairly well balanced) and left the velocity penalty but did not adjust the VS Scout Rifles with a velocity penalty (because they were consistently above TR/NC variants).
  20. Elrobochanco

Drop is meaningless, velocity is always the main factor in "accuracy". It's why regular guns in the game with HVA are easier to hit with, and guns with higher muzzle velocity are advertised as being more accurate, across all factions.

The truth is it's just dev laziness that all the shotguns are so bleh in their faction differences. Goes for everyone.

Previously VS ones had some flavor, but were only OP against people who stood in place for several seconds at a time. TR/NC ones were just boring. The obvious thing to do here would be make NC slugs have faster muzzle velocity/an extra bit of dmg, and the TR ones reload slightly faster or be able to burst two slug shots. But that would take some work, so now we all have these flavorless clones, and VS have the softball version.

I know it's nice to be all "hurrrr vanu whining" but if you don't understand what the old tradeoff (very slow velocity, but no drop) was and how the new one is just a chop at the knees you might need to redo some high school physics classes.

edit: personally I stopped using slugs on VS after the first couple months because it was only useful for sniping fresh blood snipers. You can easily miss people in very close range with the velocity difference over even normal scattershot and they just weren't that useful.
    • Up x 1