Galaxy S-AMS Idea

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RasFW, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RasFW

Didn't want to necro a thread.

Aight, so we give Galaxy the Sundy S-AMS, yah? And it invalidates the S-AMS, because the galaxy can go everywhere, has twice as many guns, and probably like 4x the armor.

That's kinda OP.

So we give it the G-AMS, which is exactly like the S-AMS, but with a fixed number of respawns. Each level increases the maximum respawn pool in the galaxy. And it has to be resupplied at an allied main base (Bio, Tech, Amp).

Rank 1 (100 certs) - 20 respawns.
    Rank 2 (150 certs) - 35 respawns.
    Rank 3 (225 certs) - 50 respawns.
    Rank 4 (300 certs) - 70 respawns.
    Rank 5 (400 certs) - 100 respawns.
    Rank 6 (500 certs) - 150 respawns.

No equipment terminals, so you cannot resupply at the galaxy or pull a MAX.
    Comes with the wing-shield from beta when deployed, allowing cover for spawned troops.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  2. Teegeeack

Seems like it would be a pain in the ***.
  3. Bankrotas

Expect it at about 2016
    • Up x 2
  4. Alarox

+1 except that's too many respawns.
  5. KodiakX

Actually this was the first Sunderer type back in beta, in the Galaxy. In fact when you deployed little shields came out around the wings and what not (notice how the wing guns look kinda like base turrets when landed?) like you mentioned.

The real issue with it back then was that, simply put, it's too fat. Landing a Galaxy somewhere was about as subtle as parking a big rig semi in a normal parking lot. It made it a huge target for anything flying and due to it's colossal girth it was really easy to sneak shots on it in various locations. Just didn't work out.

Would be cool IF you could use it as a mobile flying fortress however with limited spawns. Like squad only deployment so you could kinda "paradrop" troops in and respawn at the galaxy up above similar to the way people are able to spawn in helos in other games like Battlefield. This way it could also be shot outa the sky.
  6. deggy

I'm gonna post my Galaxy-Advanced Defensive Strongpoint thread here and someone should go necro it out of the grave.

Instead of AMS functionality, the galaxy needs strongpoint functionality. TLDR for the linked thread is that the G-ADS projects a half-sphere shield around the front of the vehicle that is immune to damage from all sources, forcing the Galaxy to be flanked if it's going to be destroyed.

But people can't spawn there, so you have to keep it manned and defended or it's a free kill.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/the-g-ads-alternate-galaxy-deploy-mode.154914/
    • Up x 1
  7. Tuco

Galaxy AMS is a lame idea, along with spawn beacons. It destroys any resemblance to a realistic battle line (where there is a front, flanks, and a rear) and replaces it with ******** Modern Warfare'isk random spawning where enemies appear randomly all over the place and there is no way to contain an area.
  8. Ryekir

Galaxy used to have the G-AMS (which is why the Sunderer variant is called "S-AMS" and not simply "AMS"). At the time, it was a complete disaster; however the game has changed a lot since then, so it might be worth looking into the possibility.

The real issue back then was that it could go anywhere (i.e. you could put a spawn point in places you could never hope of getting a Sunderer to), and between the shields and engineer support, the things were practically un-killable (this was also before repair guns had the overheat mechanic).
  9. longmachao

Ah.. i miss the old beta day of spawning and fighting on the landing pad.
  10. SilentGuns

I will ask you what I asked the other guy who posted something like this:

Have you ever had to go up against a giant outfit, have you had 2-3 platoons rain down on your position in mere seconds? Imagine what it would do if you could park a mobile spawn point ontop of a tech plant- you will have 100+ soldiers ontop of your head before you can even reach that gal.
  11. PurpleOtter

[IMG]

We had this in Beta...it did not work and turned gameplay into a giant whack-a-mole circle jerk. It allows you to
    bypass all of the terrain choke points and made defensive structures even more ineffective than they are now...
    • Up x 2
  12. Ryme

What if the Galaxy could just be a type of mobile spawn. It could Activate/Deploy the AMS while staying in flight. The tradeoff is that all onboard weaponry becomes locked. Also, there would be an infantry resource cost or timer restriction in spawning from it (a la spawn beacon).
  13. Hasteras

Lattice makes this idea more feasible than it used to be. I would change the number of spawns though. Four ranks: 12, 24, 36, 48. So a fully certed Galaxy can spawn in a full platoon once, or a single squad in four times.

Also make it so spawns are capped for the life of the Gal with no way to resupply.

Even with these severe limitations I can think of ways highly organized outfits could utilize this to make sure they never lose spawn support. OTOH would be useless for sustaining zergs.
  14. Hasteras

We have no-deploy zones and lattice now.