Any Tips For New Tank Drivers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VaxillianPrime, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Kristan

Screw Prowler, use Lightning, be cool and fast.
  2. NinjaTurtle

Never assume that a flat road is indeed flat, always assume a pebble is a huge rock and finally prepare for the Auraxium gravity kick your ****
  3. Alarox

Use HEAT until you can hit infantry in the body when it counts. Then immediately switch to AP. There is no reason to use HEAT once you can do that, and AP makes you more accurate while greatly increasing your damage output against vehicles.

Halberd is your go-to secondary. Simple to use, people like to use it, reliable against armor and infantry alike.

Nanites is the way to go unless you like to sneak around to flank from behind often, in which case use stealth. Although with such a playstyle you'll need a gunner.

Make sure you have a gunner unless you're rolling with a zerg obviously. When you do get a gunner, let them know to not spam blindly at aircraft. If they're the type that spams your ammo away constantly, kick them.

Don't fight a 2/2 Vanguard 1v1. Don't fight a 1/2 Vanguard 1v1 unless you are 2/2. At least until you get more experienced.

Don't use lockdown unless you know you can get to cover if you're attacked.

Don't be afraid to miss a shot with the Prowler when trying to identify distance. It is better to fire quickly and get the adjustment down than waste time trying to measure up the perfect shot.

Use 2x zoom. Always. No really, do it. Now.

The only thing more overpowered than debris is terrain. You have been warned.

Don't try to strafe in long distance tank fights. Use superior DPS and firepower to pressure Magriders and Vanguards.
    • Up x 2
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

You have roughly 5 seconds after moving to a new position before you need to start looking for C4 fairies or risk death.
    • Up x 1
  5. EliteEskimo

1. First off you should cert into the HEAT turret which comes with the tank. Try to get all the zoom modifications as they come in handy for shooting things at range and it's nice to see everything that you're going to be shooting at from a distance.

2. Make sure you get Racer 3 with the Prowler as soon as possible, it will help you get out of bad situations fast, help you scale terrain better, and get you to and from the battlefield fast.

3. If you're playing on the front lines watch out for Light Assaults with C4, as they will make it their sole duty to Instagib your tank. Also if you killed a Light Assault once, expect them to be back again trying to get you within a minute or so. Some of them refuse to give up until they get you.

4.Do you best to be aware of allied infantry around you, they will help protect your tank front infantry with C4, and dead allied infantry you mushed are no good to you.

5. Once your tank gets to 50% health it's a good idea to back off and repair. It's quite easy for the Prowler to lose a lot of health fast since it has the weakest armor in the game alongside the Magrider. Also if you wait till you're burning to try and run away not only will people focus on trying to destroy your flaming tank, it will now move slower decreasing you chances of escaping to repair.

6. Never go into a battlefield with heavy enemy air presence and no AA support, as you're basically throwing away your tank if you do.

7. Keep moving when possible, it helps keep you from getting flanked and forced you to constantly evaluate your surroundings.

8. Never try to roll alone as the only tank on the battlefield in a battle among mostly infantry, until you feel experienced enough to do so, as infantry will focus on your tank. It's much better to be among a few tanks so that the enemy infantry's AV weapons are being split among you and not just focusing on your tank.

9. If you start getting hit by a loud thunk noise, and no matter how hard you look there is no damage source congratulations you've found a AV turret engineer. Your next step is exit the battlefield or stay out of the line of sight of where you think the AV turret is until someone who isn't in a tank can go get them (They usually are at an area of high elevation that is impossible or very difficult for your tank to get to. If you have any friends who are pilots asking them to go get rid of them is the best solution. If they are close enough to shoot make sure you're accurate enough to land both of your shots in immediate fashion or else the engineer will bail and will set up again later.
    • Up x 2
  6. Taemien

LA aren't the only ones with C4. Medics, Engineers, and Heavies can carry them as well. Pretty much anything running up to your tank that isn't a Infiltrator is going to gib you.

Also I've seen opponents not get this... if someone throws a grenade at you, specifically a heavy, drive away from it. Anti vehicle grenades actually cause a decent amount of damage. A Heavy with a Deci and vehicle grenade can make for a bad day if they get close enough to throw them.

Pretty much don't let any infantry within 20-30 meters of you. Kill them or get away.
  7. Lolroflcake

If your tank is dying and there are friendly infantry swarming all around you don't be afraid to crush a few to get away safely don't do it on purpose by any means but its as much their own fault as it is the drivers when they get run over in that situation, just remember to apologise.

I would also invest in the AP turret if you spend time perfecting your aim you can single shot any individual infantry threats, combine with its increased damage to vehicles and bullet velocity increase makes it better than the other options for me.
  8. BengalTiger

Upgrade ammo capacity, or at least reserve certs for it.

Right now I have 43 rounds in my Big V (the default is in the 20's), and I still can't get enough.

Tanks live quite long when used carefully, and finding the right position or being an auxiliary AA unit eats ammo quick.

The "S" key is the default key for reversing. Learn to use it.
    While it's not intuitive, it's better going twice as slow than eating 3x as much damage with each hit.
  9. grazr

NC Titan-150 HEAT: 1750 damage, 4s reload.
    TR P2-120 HEAT: 2x1100 damage, 2.5s reload.

Wat.

Feel free to engage Vanguard's, just don't be a scrub and try to snipe them at the limit of your range because the Vanguard will out range/accuracy you.

My advice, farm some certs then throw them into a battle frame, then depending on what annoys you most (infantry/air/vehicles), swap out your basalisk.

Personally as NC i went for AA because NC never have air dominance and can usually handle their own against armour. I have side armour on my vanguard because good players will always try to flank NC armour so it gives me that wiggle room, VS will tend to go for front armour because they can circle strafe their targets and TR have more options due to flexibility so choose what suits your play style. It's also wise to invest in optics and ammo. Vanguards would sensibly go for zoom because of their accuracy and range, from what i hear TR like their thermal optics because having 2 shots that can both 1shot infantry makes them really versatile up close.

It's usually a safe bet to invest into your MBT faction ability although personally i run smoke because i find myself fighting TR a lot and half their **** has lockon capacity and the cool down is great so it keeps me protected for longer than shield ever could. It's about the only alt defence system worth considering. Most loadouts are pretty standard as none of them are particularly balanced. So the utility slots and stuff are no brainers.
  10. Spartan101

OP. Never think of the lockdown as an ability. It is a utility to compliment the already beast of a machine that is the prowler.
    My standard load out.
    - Racer 3. So useful and provides so much maneuverability.
    - Nanite auto repair. In a prowler your either on the move or locked down. With nanite auto, you can be repairing on the move, very useful
    - Lockdown. This is a utility to be used when the situation calls for it.

I personally run AP, I think of myself as a good shot and the extra damage is hard to pass up on.
    The number one, most important piece of equipment you can have is your secondary gunner. A good secondary gunner can be a life saver. I always equip the Vulcan for my gun because of the way I like my gunner. He us first and foremost the rearguard and support. Equipped with a thermal chain gun, my secondary is given the tools required to help me out by covering me during long range engagements and contributing to damage output in cqc. The gunner is also support and has your back during long range engagements. While locked down your gunner is free get out and repair without fear of being run over without warning.

So, if there is one upgrade I recommend, its a decent secondary gunner.
  11. TerryTenMen

Just go NC, cert shield and win.
  12. Cinnamon

Tanks have a lot of weakness in certain areas that change in different terrain. Many times tanks need infantry support more than infantry needs armour support. Always stay mobile and aware of your surroundings if you are not certain of what is going on around you. You are not a fixed turret. But many times you have to take big risks and go deep into unknown territory in order to hit the enemy from good angles. If you are playing an anti infantry role be aware of high priority targets that infantry will go for like sunderers and cover the open ground around them. Most of the time infantry will probably see you as a high priority target which makes your job easier knowing they will come to you. But you can also get a lot of kills just by pointing at a door and holding down lmb I guess.
  13. SteamBoiler

No, this is wrong. You have a tank, that means you are better than the lowly infantry. Just plow through them if they are in your way. If they are in your way, sucks to be them. Infantry needs to learn to move aside for tanks. Kindly make beeping sounds and yell get out the way in proximity chat. If they are still in the way, sucks to be them.

You are the tank driver, the open world is yours. Infantry belong in rocks and buildings, run em over if they slow you down.

On a serious note, if you are TR I recommend getting AP shells and a vulcan-h for a secondary gun. (I assume you are TR)

Work on certing into lockdown as far as you can go. Get zoom and the ap shell upgrades. Being a prowler is about doing high damage from long range. If you come face to face with a tank, don't be afraid to lock down and unload on him. Lockdown really gives you a huge dps edge. This works mostly vs magriders, not so much vanguards because of their shield.

Lockdown is also good for sniping air vehicles.
  14. Klypto

I personally don't give a dam if there is serious cause for me to mov, but if is nice to not crush all your friends.
    Any tanker knows that if you want to use HE you do it with a lightning.
  15. Nate

Realize that PS2 tanks only look like they have armor. This is to fool the enemy. They exist to create spectacular explosions after a short life.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sen7rygun

Play conservatively. Use your superior manoeuvrability and speed to work angles against enemy vehicle. Don't look to charge into head on clashes, as it will gget you killed (or your tank wrecked) most of the time. Work with friendly forces as a line backer and heavy support unit until you're confident enough (and well certed enough) to go tank hunting on your own. If you're going to be playing as part of an armoured column or well organised group take some certs in additional armor for your tank. For solo play or extended periods away from support look at nanite repairs and a huge ammo load for your primary and secondary weapons.
  17. Amarsir

Don't run without a gunner if you can help it. Always ask nearby folks if they will gun for you. Sure, a partner you know is better, but any warm body is better than an empty seat and any gun will help your efficiency and survivability. Just the default Basilisks can dish out some serious pain in the right hands. Plus, people don't get better at gunning unless given the chance.

So ask people, be friendly, and offer to gun for others if you see them riding 1/2. And don't complain at what they did or didn't hit, unless they completely jump out when you need them most at which point its fair to dedicate your day to Tking them.
  18. ColonelChingles

Most definitely apologize for even an accidental TK. It will save your tank. If I get TK'd by a tank and I receive no apology, that tank will receive a limited edition box set of three AT mines. So what's the point of running over infantry to save your tank if you're just dooming it to being blown up?

For instance just yesterday I was engaging an enemy Magrider in my Lightning. There was some fun manoeuvring (a Lightning can hide under a Magrider and shoot its belly), and I blew up the Magrider. But the enemy pilot was running around, so as I was lining up a shot... an allied Harasser finished me off with a Halbred to the rear (I believe he was aiming at the enemy pilot as well but forgot one of the most important rules of shooting: know what is behind your target). Well just as I was pulling a new Lightning and plotting some justice for that Harasser crew, the gunner messaged me and apologized. So everything was cool.

That's all you need to do. Own up to your mistakes and seek forgiveness. That's almost always enough, and it's the mature way to handle accidental TKs.

You send messages to people you've just killed (accidentally and otherwise) by clicking their name (forget if it's left or right click) in the white text in the upper left window where it tells you that you killed someone. Then choose the option to send them a message.

And yes, I have definitely have had my tank destroyed (along with me) while I was typing out apologies to people I ran over. It sucks to have that happen, but I figure I OWE it to others to apologize for it. If I get blown up that's just me suffering, but if I fail to apologize to others then that's someone else suffering.
  19. LordCreepy

Save yourselfs 40k certs and stick with infantry.
    Infantry is the counter everything tool in this game.

If you got the certs :

Always flank, bring a friend with a skyguard and stay the **** away from infantry on high ground.
    • Up x 1
  20. IamDH

dat KD