Selling items bought with SC?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KukKung, Dec 16, 2013.

1. KukKung

any chance sony will allow players to sell there items on some kind of PS2 market / auction for items bought with station cash.

right now im stuck with all this TR gear and finally switched over to the NC and i dont want to dump any more money into this game since it looks like its dying out. still fun game to jump into for a couple of hours.

I can see sony not wanting this, but there is money to made for them here. and it can attract new players not willing to dish out the high end prices for items.

ex/ $7 gun, sell it on the auction/market for $5 and sony takes a $0.50 or $1 or the sale.

1/ you sell your item and get back little over half
    2/ new players or existing players get a deal on items
    3/ sony makes a small profit on each item.

seems like a win win situation for everyone.

i have probably $100 bucks worth of items on TR if i could sell those and get back $50 it be more then enought to outfit my NC toon. now that i know which characters and my gameplay is.
  2. DashRendar

Why would anyone buy a $7 item when they can get it legitimately for cheaper? Why would Sony want to make $.50 per item when they can make $7?
    • Up x 1
  3. KukKung

you buy an item for $7 and sell it for $5 thats still $2 dollars cheaper then you would normally have to pay for a full price item, and for the seller hes going to save $3 on a new item or may find one on the market for cheaper. and is sony making any money like they used to be when it first launched i highly doubt it now. so why not make money while you can. thats why. tell you right now i havent bought an item since the GU06 and i only plan on getting some SC if theres a 3 x event on christmas otherwise i could care less.

for anyone whos already playing im sure they dont want to dish out full price again either for a game thats barely alive.
  4. KukKung

every other MMO with some kind of skill/xp building or real money items have had some kind of market or auction. so i dont see why PS2 cant do it. besides the fact that there greedy.
  5. Nocturnal7x

lots of games have unique or somewhat unique items...this game not so much.
  6. Zazulio

I very much doubt that this will ever happen. Sony's sales model just doesn't fit that. Personally, I wish they would take a page from Valve's book for microtransactions, because they do it perfectly. Valve has very low microtransaction prices, random item drops, gambling systems (crates and keys) for chances of getting rare equipment on the cheap, and even a crafting system that allows players to break down equipment to craft new items. That all comes together in such a way as to rake in huge amounts of profit through the sheer amount of activity occurring in their marketplace, even though Valve might only be making a few cents per individual transaction.

The crafting and breakdown system ensure that there remains a constant demand by making players who are gunning for rare items buy up large quantities of cheap and commong items, then break them down into core components so that they can try to re-craft them, ensuring that sales continue, and the market never becomes too oversaturated.

Micro-transactions overcome not making much money on each individual sale by ensuring that things remain cheap enough to promote massive bulk sales.

SOE's model, on the other hand, tries to make as much money as possible on each individual sale, which means they aren't making as many sales, because their prices are high to the point where many of the more casual players will elect not to. Upon seeing seven dollar guns and ten dollar single-class helmets, they'll just laugh and save their money. Less items floating around, less money to be made through an auction house.

SOE's sales model is shortsighted and exploitative (why do you think they force you to buy Station Cash instead of just letting you buy items directly? Station Cash doesn't break into convenient chunks, meaning you have to buy more than you need, leaving you with an extra amount left over that can't be spent on anything unless you buy even more. It forces you into overpaying and making multiple purchases, even though you may not have wanted to). This exploitative model simply doesn't lend itself to your suggesting.
  7. ST4LK3R

It would work if PS2 is subscription based only game. With this current model, it's not gonna work because SOE will be making only 0.5-1$ when it can make 7$. Yeah, you can say a lot more people are gonna buy if it is cheaper but all this is gonna stop when people run out of things to sell.
  8. f0d

it doesnt seem "barely alive" to me
    just because there is less players than launch that doesnt mean the game is dieing
    dieing=cant find a fight no matter where you go

im playing on briggs at 6am right now and theres plenty of big battles
  9. AuntLou42

I'll make this simple for ya: No, not going to happen.
  10. ST4LK3R

I second that. And it's not even Brigg's prime time. lol.
  11. KukKung

1/ ive logged in over and 1000 hours since the launch and the game is dying or barely just floating, there are usually 2 to 3 fights with 48+ battles on one continent, every other place is 1-12 players. nothing like when it first came out. with any game players fade out.

2/ as for sony only making 0.50 to a $1 still better than making nothing. i can bet there are probably still close to half the population on PS2 that arent willing to invest more than say $10 or are just grinding the certs. so why not make what you can on top of any new sales. how many players out there now are dishing out that kind of money to outfit all 3 factions vs players who are grinding or refusing to switch over to another faction because they refuse to dish out that kind of money again.

i would have no problem selling my item and making $3 and paying an addition $2 and buying some handme down VS or NC gear. vs paying full 7 dollars.

anyways im sure SOE is making money, but im sure there not making as much as when the first game launched so why not focus on the players who are grinding certs or refusing to pay full prices.