Which playstyle...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jawarisin, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jawarisin

So, after playing a lot of infiltrator, especially SMG (infil only up to BR 53).

I'm still wondering if I'm more usefull running in, killing the engies/enemy snipers with my smg and helping to defend points with my SMG. Or killing engies enemy snipers and enemy troops who arn't covered with my sniper rifle.
  2. ZillFattak

This is from my personal experience : Generally speaking, you can kill more people by using an smg. On the other hand, there are situations (when you can't walk up to an enemy and shoot him) when you are more useful with a sniper rifle. You have to decide for yourself which weapon suits the situation. Smg imo is more kills in less time.
    • Up x 3
  3. z1967

I prefer sniping, but that is mainly because, to me at least, it is an art style that quickly being lost to quick-scopers and other silly uses of the sniper rifle.
  4. IIXianderII

There are some situations where one will be more useful than the other and vice versa. The problem is you will not always know which situation is which because you can not be both at once, and situations change minute to minute. My advice is do whatever is most fun for you, that way when you are in a situation where that style is more useful you have a greater potential to take full advantage of your skill set.
    • Up x 1
  5. DeathSparx

You have to be able to gauge the situation and learn which loadout works best for each situation and normally the first thing that comes to mind is not really a bad idea. Sometimes it doesn't make much sense until you try it out. But go with what sounds fun.

For example: my outfit had the tr warpgated and we were fending off a facility on esamir next to their warpgate. They were sieging the facility but were in very close proximity of it so I decided to pull my suppressed BASR and went to town--Probably one of the longest kill streaks I ever went on. Then my outfit decided to make the push towards their sunderer so I switched out to my SMG build and supported my team that way. I got close enough to camp the sunderer and also got a ridiculous amount of kills--I was just waiting for one of them to kill me but it didn't really come as soon as I expected and when it did I got medic support. xD

So just go with the flow and do what comes naturally to you. I primarily enjoy using the smg so I just outfit everything else in my loadout to tailor to the situation that allows me to get in optimal range to use it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stinneyt

I enjoy both. Basically, anyone you send to the cloner is helping, Regardless of how you do it.
    By sending them to the cloner, you can pin the enemy to a specific position before eliminating them from your hex.
  7. Juuppra

I mostly use smg because i wandering around places and wrecking factions stuff.
  8. Scudmungus

Actually 'supporting' your outfit on an OP:

Make the best use of the tools you have...

..and the more tools you can make the best of use of, the more useful you're going to be.

::

Personally, actually running with a coordinated group - I've been dipping my Infi's TR toes into pointman duties, where you run with a whatever tool you feel comfortable engaging in mid range and act as the frontman/scout. With NAC and an SOAS-20, I've found I can run with the pack, spot/suppress/drop targets, scouting that 10-20 or so meters out in front, helping the squads act/react.

I found SMG to be.... run in, kill some folks, duke some, kill some more folks, die. Run in.. kills some folks... die - and honestly, we have folks that can do that, equally and often more effectively with other classes (Snowflake/Sharpe on the LA's, for example). I will switch to an SMG if needs dictate but if someone else is running the setup, I'm happy to step back and cover them.

I also love sitting pretty, sniping away, under the enemies noses, collecting kills but again - this is done when it's a free farm. It's not bringing any tactical clout to the Outfit, it's simply fishing for points. Until headshots do *something* other than supply enemy medics with quick certs, it's only ever going to be an indulgence.

So aye, pointman for my little Infi at the moment - really enjoying it. It's a more scout/overwatch playstyle and one I'm very much enjoying. We still have sniping Infis and we still have SMG Infis, each styles benefitingfrom that middle-ground-Infi role that bridges the gap between the ranges/styles.

Keeping an eye on the flanks, catching SMG Infis looking for a killing spree, running with the snipers cross country, watching the backs of dedicated CQC roles as they run rampant.

Flanking, harassing and killing - much like any good Infi style when they're using tools they're adept with.

Really enjoying it.
    • Up x 2