Removal of Non Spawn Room Equipment Terminals

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ibuprofen, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ibuprofen

Has anyone else noticed how often the only equipment terminals in a base are inside the shielded spawn room? Particularly on Indar, where I think a large number were removed as part of the performance update.

For most classes, this is hardly a change that matters, but it kinda sucks for infiltrators, who rely on hacking equipment terminals to resupply themselves most of the time when they are actually infiltrating.

I don't want to sound whiny, I love the infiltrator class as a whole, and I get that we can't have terminals plopped down all over the place just for our sake. That being said, I do wish there were fewer bases where the only equipment terminals were inside the spawn, and it saddens me that the PU created even more bases like that.

Even if the only change made was to take some of the spawn rooms that have 3 equipment terminals and just move one terminal outside the spawn shields but still leave it pretty close to the spawn, so using it as an infiltrator is high risk, I would be extremely happy.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. If there's a lot of positive support for this from other infiltrators I'll probably post a more fleshed out suggestion in the general game play discussion forum and see how it's received.
    • Up x 16
  2. KnightCole

I kinda hate it cuz I sometimes do run out of ammo...seeing as I run into scrubs and run dry smoking them all. THe in field equipment terminals are nice. Plus, I cant get enough conc nades.
  3. Emotitron

Did terminals actually cause a performance problem? That doesn't seem right at all.
    • Up x 3
  4. Ibuprofen

It was in the patch notes for the PU. It was specifically calling for players to give feedback on whether removing them was worth it, so if this thread gets a fair bit of support I'll consider that to be a community response of "no, not worth it".
  5. Acceleratio

I agree... I kinda liked the idea of having them in the open.
  6. Inf1nite

They need to bring back more terminals because otherwise the Stalker cloak won't be worth it, you may be able to camp people by sitting in a corner but you'll run out of ammo in your pistol sometime and only have your knife which you won't stand a chance against moving targets with. It was also nice to actually infiltrate bases because you could be a nuisance by flipping enemy terminals. As you have said, it doesn't really matter for other classes but it does for infiltrators especially those who decide to use the stalker cloak when it is released.
  7. KnightCole

Perhaps it was more crap to render and load on the screen, maybe it did...who knows.
  8. m44v

I don't like this change. Terminal hacking was already limited to a one-time-use because the opponent would just destroy them, now is even less valuable.

Too bad that half of the infiltrator community is just arguing to death about an update that didn't go live yet while changes that do limit the usefulness of the class in a squad go without much fuss.
    • Up x 3
  9. Mustarde

I completely and unequivocally agree that this was a BAD change. Bad for gameplay, bad for infiltrators, bad for defenders AND attackers. It gave players mini-objectives to fight over, and allowed for some very interesting tactics to be used. I would roll my 12man infil squad up to a base, hack a terminal and now we're a 12 man max squad all up in yo face!

I very strongly feel that SOE should put them back. I love playing on esamir/Amerish now, where there are still a few terminals left for us. PUT THEM BACK!!!
    • Up x 5
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

Welcome to the world of the Infiltrator, where our roles vanish quicker than we do.
    • Up x 2
  11. GrayPhilosophy

I'm going to hop along on this wagon aswell. I'm fairly new to planetside and haven't had much time to experience bases with more terminals in them. But the few bases that have them are great, they give me purpose. Team supporting purpose.
    • Up x 2
  12. AccelPrime

Dev logic: Lets put 4 infantry terminals in the spawn room, but not a single one in the entire surrounding Amp Station/Tech Plant!
    • Up x 6
  13. MajiinBuu

MOAR TERMINALS!
    I wish could take an infiltrator behind enemy lines, hack a tank terminal and pull an MBT, than an equipment terminal and switch to engineer.
    And the bases that do have terminals on the outside always has some HA blow it up, leaving it useless for everyone.
    • Up x 2
  14. Mustarde

I forgot to mention - with no deploy zones, some of these infantry terminals became the only place to resupply or change classes in an entire base. Ugh
    • Up x 3
  15. SevenTwo

You can sometimes still do that on Amerish depending on the Hex layout - I typically do it with Sundies though, as being able to spawn guys from behind enemy lines can give a general tactical edge in a fight by providing spawns behind the enemy front line.

Indar is pretty much scrubbed for terminals outside the spawn rooms which kind of sucks. Being able to switch classes inside an enemy base can be pretty valuable.
  16. Schwak

They should have just made it so you can not pull MAXs from non spawn room terminals and then they wouldn't have had to remove them.
  17. m44v

They didn't remove them because of that, they specifically said that the terminals caused a performance drop for some reason.
  18. Schwak

Really lol? Maybe they should have just cut a few infantry terminals in the spawn room to make up for it.
  19. NovaAustralis

I'll be 'Devil's Advocate' here...

I liked the removal of Infantry Terminals from around bases except in the spawn room.
    It's a small step towards making bases more defensible.
    Besides, all tower bases still have an Infantry Terminal in the garage, so it's only the small bases and facilities that lost them.

You don't own the base and it doesn't have an infantry terminal outside the spawn room?
    Bring an AMS Sunderer or hack a vehicle terminal and spawn one.
    Otherwise you have what you brought with you.
    Stop being lazy, think and plan ahead, adapt and overcome.

Tower spawn rooms only have 1 terminal.
    Small base spawn rooms only have 1 terminal.
    I can only think of a few larger bases (not facilities) that have 4 infantry terminals in the spawn room.

That said, the 4 terminals in the larger spawn rooms could be reduced to 2 (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs).
  20. m44v

Sure, is a good thing that only infiltrators are the ones to make a sacrifice for the sake of it.

If by "only" you mean every base that isn't a tower base.

Can't do that in Amp Stations nor Tech plants unless shields are down, besides spawning an AMS sunder just for rearm or switch classes is overkill, it costs resources and you will get everyone's attention.

And we're doing just that, or everyone would just rage quit, but that doesn't mean we can't use this forum for express that this change is detrimental to the class.
    • Up x 1