Word on our Tool!

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Runsta, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Runsta

2. Sandpants

Ok. Dual Weapons.

That's original, right? It's something we need, correct? I mean we have guns and we can shoot people, what's so bad with them letting us do the same thing but with a different model.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vorpal

I don't see how this will help.

The problem with LA's is that they provide very little utility in a fight. Everyone knows to watch the roofs now, everyone knows to put down squad beacons up there. Instead of the roofs being the exclusive domain of light infantry, now you'll see entire squads of other guys up there.

HA provide resilience and great anti vehicle - anti armor power. Medics and engineers provide obvious utility. MAX utility goes without saying. Infiltrators actually help a ton in many situations. All of these are frequently requested roles in a platoon.

When was the last time you heard your platoon leader asking some medics to go be LA instead?
    • Up x 2
  4. ironeddie

I think of LA as the lone wolf class, which is one reason I play it. I try to avoid fighting inside based. Preferring to hit snipers in the hills as well as finding the odd tank that needs c4'ing.

I think the LA would have made a better sniper class. Infiltrator could have been made a pure CQC infiltrate/ninja assassin class.
    • Up x 2
  5. MrMurdok

Take AV Grenades away from HA, give 'em to LA, allow you guys to akimbo high RoF, low accuracy, insane damage pistols, and C4.

Get this:
    [IMG]

Enjoy playing the coolest class in any game, ever.

And that's from a dedicated Infiltrator.
    • Up x 2
  6. Amarsir

Dual wielding doesn't speak to me. I'd rather see Light Assault be masters of movement, starting with Adrenaline Pump outside the suit slot. (And possibly some immunity to fall/momentum damage.)

But for a tool, what if they had something like a deployable lift? Instead of being the guy who goes over the wall alone, the Light Assault could be the guy who gets the team over the wall. I'm not married to the idea, but at least it has a theme and benefits others.
    • Up x 3
  7. Copasetic

Wouldn't be surprised if it means giving up C4.
  8. Sandpants

Doubt it's going to be a tool.

That post in particular implies "maybe a tool once in a while". Doesn't mean guaranteed or that the akimbos are a tool. Wouldn't make sense either.
  9. Paperlamp

I'm going to laugh if we have to spend certs/SC on a right and left weapon for LA.
    • Up x 1
  10. Iridar51

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if that's going to be the case. They'll probably just downscale MAX weaponry and use different models.

More so, these weapons will probably be dual semi or fully automatic pistols, which would mean very limited effective range. May as well use a shotgun =\
  11. Pikachu

Dual wield to deal dual damage at cost of accuracy? Two serpents. :confused:

LA serves to annoy all the other classes. Shooting from places they dont expect or have time to check. And its for those who want the convinience of not being restriced by obstacles. No need to find the stairs or opening. Just fly over the wall.

What about giving the ability to stick to walls. Sticky boots and gloves. Like spider mman.
  12. NeonNoodle

Well, what I really want to be able to do is fire a volley of rockets from the top of my jet pack...but what we really need is something on par with medic/engi tool to earn static xp. I'm not sure if dual-wielding will fill that roll, unless it's highly accurate while flying.
  13. OldMaster80

Personally I don't see how can dual guns make this class better. The problem with LA is not lack of firepower, it's lack of a specific role in the battle. The key of this class is mobility but the problems imho are:
    - Adrenaline Pump provides very little speed bonus to make it worth.
    - Drifters are still useless.

What we neeed imho is a complete Adrenaline Pump revamp: it should be a secondary skill to toggle on/off with more than 1 level. And we need new kind of jetpacks giving more options for fast assault. This is the direction they have to take.
    • Up x 1
  14. Corezer

LA's use is quickly reinforcing areas using routes other than those which may be already covered (on offense)
    On defense, it is the ability to set up unorthodox cross fires with team mates, creating multi dimensional defenses.

The problem with the first one, is that we don't have the firepower to make a difference on our own. Like for instance, my squad has the crown triple capped, while waiting on the timer, the TR pull some tanks from redridge and are using anchored HEAT to shell the space between the tower and A while a force takes over the point.

to get there from the ground takes time, plus your forces will be arriving thinly as they suffer through shelling and infantry fire from the small side building next to A, you gotta make a plan to go around at the bridge to take over the side building without being shelled, and then move into A building to take that point back. This all takes time, time you are losing, and time they are spending reinforcing their hold and probing your defenses at other points.

They probably have like 2 in 1/2 prowlers, 6 in A building, 3 in the side building, with that infil sulking around B.

The great thing about LA is I don't have to do anything convoluted, I can just jump jet from the landing pad to A building, go in, and probably get stomped if im alone. Most squad leaders don't see the value, so good luck trying to get 3-4 guys to come with you, quickly responding and flanking the 6 on A. If they do, they prolly have lvl 1 jets that wont make it to the building, no suit slot, maybe a good weapon they bought for their engy, and poor gunplay skill from crutching on a shield or spoiling themselves with an AR. if they fail due to anything from that, to a hacker teleporting in with rapid fire infinite ammo deci's, it will reaffirm to the SL that LA is a bad class, and any plan involving them is a horrible idea.

on the defense, lets say ur in a tech plant. ur using the rafters to set up against anyone trying to hide behind the walls around the point. Sure, you can make a difference, or someone can wise up, follow the tracers, and shoot your *** while you are stuck basically in the open, then you die and because there is basically no physics for corpses, you float up there, your body lying across mid air with your foot still on the rafter. even if they clear the push, good luck respawning and getting through hordes of enemies to get back into position, since you cant be revived. You are gonna spend several minutes and 2-3 lives finding the holes to get through the enemy owned courtyard and vehicle bay, and when in the middle of one of those attempts the defense is finally broken, your SL will say: "See, if you had pulled medic, you could have been useful and maybe we would have made it through that last push." since he didn't see you take out the 20 guys behind the wall that had fallen back to get heals, which is the only reason they made it through even the first push.

TLDR: the LA problem is that being away from the team is bad for your level of enjoyment when you have to run all the way from spawn every death, and even if you do the rest of the team any good it is out of sight out of mind for them, so you still look bad.
    • Up x 2
  15. blampoet

mobility
  16. Sandpants

So what if LAs' tool would be group mobility? We discussed this I'm sure but most probably fell into the "the reason why Instant Action got nerfed" category.

Keeping in mind that mobility in this context should be a very open-minded word and not a simple raw speed increase...

It also can't be something that can be just achieved with 1 LA or something that is 1 time fire and forget thing. It should be needed continuously. Otherwise you'll have people quick switch to LA and back to exploit the benefit without actually emphasizing playing as LA.

*maybe it can be a raw speed increase, but it needs to be clever. Cos we are special snow flakes...
  17. Vorpal

It might help if Adrenaline pump were faster, and an innate LA ability. Giving up a suit slot for it is not generally advisable.
    • Up x 4
  18. disgruntled newbie

Dual wielding? I don't understand the point. The game is already designed so that players die before they can even react if you have good ambush skills and if you don't have good ambush skills then no amount of DPS is going to help you. What situation is dual wielding even supposed to apply in?

Unless it's something like you get to carry 2 different "primary" weapons so you can switch out your effective range on the fly. I could see that being pretty sweet.
    • Up x 2
  19. Alarox

Light Assaults need utility.

Step 1: make it so that they can carry other players
    Step 2: profit
    • Up x 1
  20. Takoita

I think making Adrenal Pump the class ability that would function like the MAX travel mode is supposed to - solid sprint speed buff but no shooting, requires some time to ramp up and to slow down and is interrupted if you take damage - could be interesting. Could add 'Light' into 'Light Assault'.
    • Up x 1