What are the various engineer play styles ?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Targanwolf, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SpaceAngel

Make that 3!!!...This will be quite handy to know, indeed!
  2. Hodo

For me I really only play two classes, Engineer and Light Assault. I have three loadouts for my engineer.
    1-Carbine (Lynx)+Claymores+Nanoweave4- assault engineer
    2-Autoshotgun+Claymores+Flak3- Sunderer defense engineer
    3-AMR-66+AT or Claymores+Flak3- Base defense engineer

When I doing my assault engineer setup I stick with a MAX and support them with repairs and ammo, and I cover them from attacks from their blind sides. But I will also go with a bunch of heavies and do the same job.

My sunderer defense engineer, I usually am the one driving the thing and will stay back and defend it. It is amazing the number of kills you will get just defending a Sunderer.

And my third setup is one of my favorites and least effective. I like to set up before the zerg arrives, drop AT mines or Claymores around likely avenues of approach, never fail I will kill at least one or two impatient campers before the battle even starts. And the AMR-66 with HV ammo and a 3.4x scope is great for picking off infiltrators who are trying to be sniper elite in bad places.
  3. JimPuckerfist

I myself play various roles as an Engineer. Due note, I only play NC, so I can't list off the VS or TR weapons I would use in these roles.

Tank Line Crewman: Keeping those tanks on the front line repaired and up to snuff, while dodging enemy tank rounds (And friendly tanks that aren't looking where they are driving). This setup I tend to have an AC-X11 or a Sweeper (With slug rounds, LACO scope, and laser sight) to keep the enemy Light Assaults away from our tanks. I'll also have Flak Armor (Which in my opinion is the one armor every engineer should have in most roles), the AV Mana Turret, and AV Mines (Though I don't tend to use the mines, it's more for insurance). In this role I spend most of my time with my repair gun out running across the tops of tanks.

The Pit Crew: Similar to the role above, but instead of being on the tank line, you and a small group of Engineers set up a pit crew area just behind the tank line. The idea here is to have the tanks pull back a bit and be speed repaired by like 6 engineers at once. Also it is a good idea to have a Ammo Sunderer if you can't set up next to an ammo tower, as while the tank is getting repaired it can return to the fight with full ammo. In this role it doesn't matter what I have equipped, I guess I'd go with what I have in the Tank Line Role.

Front Line Infantry(Assaulting): As an Engineer hanging out on the front lines with everyone else, my role here is to throw down ammo, and repair MAXes. I'll equip either an AC-X11, a Sweeper (Set up like above), or a Gauss Compact S, which one I bring depends on the range at which we are fighting, I don't really care what Turret I bring for this role, as I am more worried about keeping people stocked on ammo and repairing our MAXes, and being on a turret during a front line assault is asking the enemy Infiltrators to put a sniper round into your skull. I also will carry the Ammo Dispenser and place it around groups of people, or behind cover near the group of people, so they can fall back and stock up safely. I'll also do the same with the hidden ammo pack that is the alternate for the Mana Turret.

Pilot, Gunner, etc:This is the basic tank driver, ESF pilot, gunner combo. I myself take Flack Armor, an AC-X11, and the AV Mana Turret. If I'm riding along as the gunner of a MBT, especially if we have an AI gun equipped, if we are set up on a hill shooting from a distance I'll deploy my AV Mana Turret to help out.

Base Defense (During a Full on Assault): In most cases when defending I spend most of my time actively fighting, going from one end of the base to the other wherever we need more help. I'll place ammo packs when I see a group of people, or when people ask for them, but I tend to take the more proactive approach and not stick with groups but patrol the base looking for people bleeding in through the holes in our defense line, repair base turrets to get them back online. and to also protect the generators and capture points. I bring with me a Sweeper(You know the drill on this one by now) or a Gauss Compact S, an Advanced Shield Capacitor, the Ammo Dispenser, and the default Mana Turret. I don't advise bouncing betties during a full on assault, I have been killed by many friendly AI mines, that didn't just kill me, but also killed 4 other defenders, all because of 1 enemy infiltrator was suicidal and thought he could take the generator by himself. (In the end he kind of did, as when we all died, the generator room was defenseless and the enemy walked right in and took it).

This brings me to...

The Unsung Hero A.K.A. The After Battle Janitor: Not the most exciting gig out there, but it needs to be done by somebody, especially at AMP Stations. After a battle, within like 5 minutes everyone that was there defending will leave, and that once happening block party will now be a ghost town, and it is really surprising how many engineers just pack up and leave with everyone, leaving the base broken without defenses.So after a battle I'll walk the perimeter walls and repair every base turret, and make sure the shields are up, while also patrolling for left behind infiltrators and light assaults. I'll also patrol around being on the lookout for any impending counter attack. Like I said it's not entertaining as you are going around cleaning up everyone's mess, but it needs to be done. I've been to bases where after the battle ended everyone left so soon that the SCU was still down when everyone cleared out.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nintyuk

Yes! someone uses my Sweeper loadout! I Don't really vary my loadout like you but I do find my self doing all of those roles.
    A few things:
    • The Pit crew works great for aircraft too as Ammo sundys can resupply all vehicles including aircraft, If you set up just behind friendly lines out of site of any bases you can have a squad of ESF's on almost constant harassment on a large base even if their is heavy AA.
    • Whenever I get to platoon lead I always insist we at least get the gens up and running before we leave a base. I find repairing a base when by my self is very relaxing.
    • Up x 1
  5. JimPuckerfist

I'm a recent convert to the slug sweeper, and it's started dominating my loadouts. Which has me kind of disappointed, because for CQC I have a fully kitted out GD-7F, which the sweeper has replaced.

I completely forgot that the Ammo Sundy restocks aircraft, the Aircraft pit crew is something I'll be trying in the very near future. I'll bring an Ammo Sundy with either basilisks on it, or AA, to scare away any would be vulture ESF's.

When NC had the North Warpgate on Indar, I would take a Flash over to Mao Tech Plant, and walk around listening to some music while I repaired the turrets. The janitor role has also lead to some fun/amazing one man defenses, especially at amp stations, where I'm jumping from tower to tower holding them off while waiting for reinforcements.
  6. SevenTwo

Not to mention it is also often quite rewarding.

If you manage to get to repair all of an Amp station's wall defences all on your own, you'll be smiling all the way to the cert bank because of the sweet, sweet service ribbons and the fact you didn't have to fight tooth and nail to get the xp for it.

Maybe I'm just a horrible player, but it seems like I'm getting more certs per hour doing Janitorial Engy services rather than actual fighting, provided there are enough ruined items in a base to warrant the time spent running between them. :eek: