[Suggestion] The Infiltrator

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Tenebrae Aeterna, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Ye probably faction specific sounds would come in. The cash shop was just some silliness :D

I just love playing this game unconventionally. Runing over people in a cloaked flash and spamming yhe muwhahHa

There is a reason that the two highest players killed on my killboard are....

...the players that I play with lol...
    • Up x 1
  2. Sneaky

That is the thing, I'm not saying it that it would be unbalanced. I've saying you cant balance infinite cloak without it becoming an annoying troll tool. It is already fairly easy to hide in bases, you can already cause people to panic and scatter around their base looking for you, just to lead them in traps and ambushes time after time again.
    Infinite cloak in every form that I've heard it suggested removes the risk involved in being an infiltrator - being seen, but replaces that lack of weakness with lack of strength. This can be 'balanced', but it makes the infiltrator even less versatile in general combat situation, and because a regular player can basically avoid being killed for indefinite amount of time, you can only be a troll.

Right now the infiltrator can be a sniper, regular infantry that has the special ability of getting closer to people before they get seen and shot at, and - if you are good - a wonderful panic inducing troll.
    If infinite cloak is a thing, including this banshee cloak idea, then that list of things gets reduced to "just troll".

I would agree that this would be really fun, I can also see how it could be made in a way to be "balanced", but it would be the opposite of what the infiltrator needs, which is more versatility.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tenebrae Aeterna

I see what you mean.

I'm an individual who absolutely loathes the concept of pseudo balance based upon frustration; that if something is frustrating but still balanced...the frustration it causes should be adequate excuse enough to justify removing it. Frustration is an extremely important part of any game, and one's ability to adapt to those frustrating elements are one of the most significant psychological achievements one can make.

Will victims of individuals utilizing Banshee Cloaking Devices feel trolled?

Of course they will, but they'll strive towards attuning themselves to that sound which the cloaking device makes, they'll start actually keeping up with their companions and practicing more team oriented gameplay rather than going it alone. All of these things will, ultimately, make them a better player and the fact that they know what to do when they suddenly hear that sound will leave them feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Imagine that someone actually learned from being victimized by those using Banshee Cloaking Devices and instead of whining about it...they tried harder to listen for that subtle sound muted by the chaos of battle. Suddenly, they hear it getting close to their position...and so they head off and turn a corner while informing their teammates that they have an Infiltrator on their tail...effectively setting up an ambush. Or, perhaps, they round the corner and drop an AI mine while backing off with a smirk on their face...

How good a feeling do you think this would give a player?

Ultimately, by incorporating the Banshee Cloaking Device into the game...we enforce team oriented gameplay and make players far better suited for the game as a whole. They adopt the mentality that they need to communicate with their allies more often and actually stick by them, otherwise they risk being taken out by those who are effectively the anti-infantry infantry.

With all that said,

I think you're misunderstanding me just a bit. I'm asking for the Banshee Cloaking Device to be included as an option alongside the Hunter, Nano-Armor, and even the Stalker cloaking devices to effectively give us four cloaking options. I do not want Hunter and Nano-Armor cloaking changed at all...I'm simply suggesting the Banshee Cloaking device as an additional option alongside what we currently have and the potential Stalker Cloaking Device they wish to incorporate.

This gives you the option of how you want to play, and ultimately much more versatility by providing a cloaking device far better suited for assassination and hacking. Stalker Cloaking will be a great ambush cloaking device, but it's still going to be limited by the graphical problems we currently suffer with each update. You may think it's easy to hide in a base...but I've had little trouble spotting Infiltrators while cloaked in medium to close ranged situations, it's very rare that I have ever not seen a cloaked Infiltrator that has happened upon me.

With that said, it's basically just an option to have alongside the other variants of stealth, thus giving more versatility...not less. You can still pick up the other cloaking variants instead and play a different way, or you can choose the Banshee Cloaking Device and play that way. :)

What this adds into the class that we need is an effective method of cloaking that will more adequately compliment the hacking system I proposed in the OP. We need a better infiltration cloak to be efficient with our espionage, and Banshee Cloaking would permit just that alongside the obvious assassination of lone targets aspect. Stalker Cloak, which I would still want them to add even if they added Banshee, would be yet another option more geared towards ambush techniques.
    • Up x 2
  4. CaptinDread

LOVE THIS GUY.

Now to business I think you post was defenetly a good read THough I skimmed trough most parts since I don't have a lot of time right now I pretty much Aree with all your points to be honest You should try to get this to the devs for sure if they haven't already seen this
    • Up x 4
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

Thanks,

I'll need many more thumbs up before the development team pays any mind to it, or so I assume. This thread has a lot of views, but very few responses in comparison! :p
    • Up x 1
  6. Epicstrat

I realized I forgot to elaborate on a few things. I mentioned a "scout cloak". Scout cloak would be an infinite cloak, that allows for primary weapons, but only scout rifles. Upon activating the cloak, you are not allowed to move unless you are OK with being uncloaked, if you choose to decloak there is a 45 second recharge rate before the cloak can be used again. In addition to this, it would also be balanced by the following. The longer you remain cloaked the more visible you become. Basically, you set up far away from a battle and provide intel to your team. You cannot kill people without sacrificing your cloak but you can still move to a better spot if need be, it just relies on caution. Since it is not a perfect cloak, you won't get people camping objectives forever with it, especially since it becomes more visible over time.

Also, came up with a specific range finder tool. A pair of thermal goggles that can spot faster than normal, give thermal vision/ night vision/ 6x-12x magnification depending on certs. Can also spot at any range and give the range to the spotted target. I would only consider adding this if the 150m hard cap (or any hard cap) is implemented. Intended for use on sniper/ scout.

Been thinking about other possible grenade types, can't come up with any that don't overlap other aspects of class(don't need more radar that I have already suggested). What if we had a reverse EMP, that would automatically activate a classes ability. Imagine light assaults randomly flying upward. Lol. Ok I have one now. Flare grenade. Used for disorienting vehicles with a super-bright glow that blinds thermal/night vision users. Would help team and help infils escape vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  7. GrayPhilosophy

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

If I understand your Scout Cloaking concept, complete invisibility upon activation so long as you remain stationary and it gradually builds up to partial, or full, visibility the longer you remain there? So, essentially another ambush oriented cloak like Stalker but tweaked to permit the use of primary weapons right? I think the recharge time might actually be a bit too high, but far be it for me to actually work with numbers when it comes to balance. :p

We need tools in general when it comes to range finding and visual utility, anything focused around this would be a delight. As for the grenades, the chaos causing reverse EMP sounds as though it would be quite amusing...but the flare one seems to much like a Flashbang for my tastes.
    • Up x 2
  9. Kittehsnipr

Just complete invisbility would be fine for me.
    • Up x 2
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

It would surely help out our infiltration capabilities, that's for sure.
    • Up x 2
  11. Juuppra

What about style: Saboteur. A class that focuses on wrecking on enemy's stuff and making traps.
    • Up x 1
  12. Topher

I would enjoy more Cat & Mouse play not involving guns, but more mind games.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Well...

If we get the Banshee Cloaking Device, revamped hacking system, and potentially vehicle hacking...you pretty much have a Saboteur playing style atop that assassin oriented gameplay.

Factor in the potential Recon Drone, Scrambler, and the other odds and ends they may or may not add...it only increases these capabilities. The Banshee Cloaking Device will really help in infiltration capabilities...and for those who don't enjoy being heard, you'll hopefully have Stalker Cloaking right alongside it.
    • Up x 2
  14. EvilUnicorn

Bravo, Bravo. Really enjoyed the read honestly. I would give anything to force SOE into putting all of these suggestions into the game. Like what you said, the banshee cloak will make make infiltrators a true force of terror. The game will go from: "oh look! a half invisible guy running around our base, lets kill him" to cautiously walkimg around paranoid of ambush.
    • Up x 3
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Thank you very much for the support!
    • Up x 1
  16. Dracorean

It would be interesting to add a mini game to hack turrets and whatnot, people that are good at hacking can get them flipped faster, the difficulty of the mini game can increase depending on what is being hacked.

It would also be interesting if we had hacking darts to hack things at range or lock on dart that would allow quicker lock on times and more accurate shots, as well as the recon dart for the dart gun. Sort of like ammo types for a gun.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

Some sort of mini-game could be enjoyable...but incorporating it into the melee system of hacking would leave us extremely incapable of actually getting our work done before we're caught in the act. Now, in regards to your long ranged concept involving darts, this mini-game could truly be something interesting...

Manual hacking would be easier one click hold while long ranged would require a bit more finesse...I could see that. They would have to make the "Hacking Darts" targetable by the enemy though, and award experience points upon being destroyed. Still...interesting idea.
    • Up x 2
  18. Darkelfdruid_LOL

give me double knife.... or let me use double beamer.... and this class would be sold. :D

Then you can take away my cloak. My snipers. My shield. 100hp more. headshot multiplier anywhere on my body..

oh and you better make me glow in the dark for the opposite factions too...

because you know...

double beamer...
  19. Tenebrae Aeterna

Give me duel knives and the Banshee Cloaking Device...and I'll probably play this game for 10h straight like I often did with Delta Force: Land Warrior back in my youth.
    • Up x 2
  20. Darkelfdruid_LOL

step 1 - equip a beamer

step 2 - change your shoot bind to all the mouse buttons on your mouse

step 3 - press the said buttons like an insane individual

step reported - outgun a HA with bad situational awareness

step abused - get attempted to be 4th faactioned

step weapon locked - use step 3 to deal with them

step 7 - have a squad on your server that will always TK you on principal.

today was a good day.
    • Up x 2