Balance Pass Post 2: Nanoweave and Related Features

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Argus002

One point on reducing the effectiveness of grenades / grenade launchers:

With the changes to Nanoweave, you might find a very large portion of players switching over to "the next best option" -- Flak Armor. That, in combined with reduced explosive damage, might very easily result in "over-nerfing," if you will.

Underbarrel grenade launchers are something of a rarity and are a bit tricky to use effectively even now, so please keep that in mind.
  2. Good_Kitty

I can't wait for these changes! No more getting out gunned by a heavy that just had 4 head shots sprayed on him with an smg up close and with their back turned.
    • Up x 1
  3. Lucidius134

That's just the nature of pubs. They'll always pick the best thing. Right now that's nanoweave and it isn't fair.
  4. Zorro

I like the nanoweave update, it is exactly what it should have been from the beginning. However, I vehemently oppose the restriction of OHKs to 150 meters. Snipers are supposed to pick off targets from long range, and the TTK is too long in PS2. In addition, sniping is difficult enough as it is, and those who stand still outside of cover deserve to be one-shotted as an example to their squad. Also, explosives should not be nerfed, they are weak enough as it is. Find some way to reduce spamming, then buff them.
    • Up x 2
  5. BRU7AL

What is your reason behind this statement?
  6. Dinapuff

not on miller. it's practically our server identity xd
  7. Zorro

An underbarrel grenade shot does not kill one even if it explodes next to the enemy. This is because it can be spammed indefinitely from ammunition packs. If the spamming was curbed, then explosives could have realistic damage.
  8. BRU7AL

But you said "explosives should not be nerfed, they are weak enough as it is." That implies all explosives, not just UBGL.

Lolpods are explosives. HE shells are explosives. Both of those things get spammed like none other on Connery and people rack up the kills using them. I guess I just dont see where somebody could reasonably say explosives are "weak" in this game.
  9. sixrocket

So, sniper rifles are nearly the only weapon in the game that actually requires some sort of skill besides "CLOAK, UNLOAD SMG/CARBINE, RECLOAK" as inf. I think we can all agree that hitting a moving target (without sight adjustment, ugh, I hate it when games do this) at anything past ~400m with a sniper rifle is rather difficult, especially achieving a headshot, and everyone knows that since 90% of players are running nanoweave, headshots are the only way to guarantee anything below a two, even three, hits to kill.

A skilled sniper should be able to pin down a squad, harass the hell out of them, and remain out of easy retaliation range, right? I typically carry a Battle Rifle equipped as a DMR just for the purpose of removing/pinning a skilled sniper. Snipers are near essential to remove the endless engineers sitting on turrets with a single, precise headshot, and nerfing the range that a headshot kills at to ONLY 150m is ridiculous. I don't even snipe much, but I can see how that's going to make even less infiltrators play the class as a sniper, and instead run around dropping AP mines and spraying SMG fire every whichway.

A sniper is the class you use to reach out and touch someone, and with these changes, what's the goddamn point to sniping?
    It'd be better to just use a HA with semi-automatic, or a battle rifle, at nearly every range.

This is just so stupid.
    • Up x 4
  10. gloowa

It is, considering infantry stops rendering @ ~300m
    • Up x 1
  11. sixrocket

The point still stands:
    This is a straight nerf to skill, and I can't WAIT to see the last few talented snipers leaving the game.

Might as well rename the Infiltrator to the aCloaker t this point, considering it's going to be all CQC SMGs all the time.
    • Up x 2
  12. Tyzh

Not quite accurate. The semi-autos are nearly clones of each other save the optics and 50m/s bullet speed, but the close range bolt actions pick up the benefit of having the highest fire rate out of any of the bolt actions. (In addition to having the lowest bullet speed for bolt actions.) The SAS-R/TSAR-42/Ghost is not a clone of the Bolt-Driver/M77-B/XM98. It's its own gun, just the same as the higher tier bolt actions.
  13. Souleater

Won't this change also mean people going down much faster to every other infantry player that bothers to shoot people in the head anyway?

I find this an odd change. I get killed far more often in straight up fights than i do being sniped. I certainly get OHK from more other sources than sniper rifles.
    • Up x 2
  14. ZephyrBurst

I was weirded out by the 150m falloff at first. It wouldn't work in other games, but in this game, snipers can cloak. A sniper that can turn invisible already has a huge advantage, without even considering how open this game's world is to finding convenient spots. A compromised location usually just means a minor inconvenience where you'll have to relocate. Basing things on how the game currently is, it's somewhat of a buff anyway since we can't OHK on a lot of targets past 70m.

The 150m is also something the devs will adjust as needed. Though really, I feel if there's going to be a limit, 200m would be good for BASR. I'm certainly curious to see how this effects my playstyle though.
  15. Sardaukar

If I had fewer sniper rifle kills and a lower score per minute as Infiltrator than you, let alone so many of the people being upset in this thread, I would agree. But I don't and I don't, so I don't. Stop being a bad player over 500 feet from the fight. You can get your sweet as heck headshots from more useful distances.

Nanoweave 5 restricts headshot OHK distance to about 35 meters. If nine out of ten players are using NW5, why are you upset that you can now headshot them from a little over quadruple the previous distance?
  16. Reaper

Actually the devs DO make the changes, they have discussions and yes they change the values and code they are the DEVELOPERS Clearly a Troll
  17. Lucidius134

Good point.

I guess what I CAN say is that they are more similar to those in that there is no similarity to the tier 2 ones in any respect, meaning they are more alike the tier 1 weapons.
  18. Danath

I rarely see Fury/Marauders after the nerf (or HE), they are really going extinct now. Not to mention that they buffed AI mines and won't kill anything again. Damn, I still remember placing my sticky grenade on a medic's back just to see how the explosion didn't kill him.
    • Up x 1
  19. Tenebrae Aeterna

20. TheKhopesh

Here is where you have misspoken.

The NC "land lucky head-shots", where as the other factions have FAR superior accuracy and stability.

In the future (Should SOE go through with NW armor not effecting headshots), the NC will get CURB STOMPED at any range where headshots with non-snipers can be obtained.

See, (Even now!) we're by FAR the least accurate of the three (As our accuacy and stability are TERRIBLE with sustained fire), and as such, even now we are out-gunned by the ease at which the TR and VS get headshots.

However, if SOE were to increase our damage on ~most, some are fine as-is~ of our guns, BUT decrease our headshot damage from the universal 2x to a 1.5x....
    ...We would be able to kill in the same number of headshots as the guns are now, with only ONE less bullet to kill per person.
    This would compensate for our relatively terrible accuracy with sustained fire, which would put us on par with the VS, and hopefully (At least close enough) with the TR as well.

For a number-crunch on the PROOF behind my statement on the number of bullets (And subsiquently, TTK's) please see my thread detailing these numbers (Link Below).
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ing-mainly-focused-on-nc.157265/#post-2249235