WTF happened to this game after PU1? Unplayable now. Can I has my old game back???

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Octiceps, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Octiceps

Today I finally got my first chance to play PS2 after the big performance patch and was horrified to find that it runs worse than ever.

FPS in Zergs are all over the place. With Smoothing off, there are extreme spikes between 30 and 60 FPS. 30-60-25-55-40-25-45-30-55...

With Smoothing on, overall FPS is lower but more consistent and the amplitude of the spikes is reduced, but it still feels like a stuttering madhouse. 30-40-25-30-35-30-40...

GPU usage is still 50-60% and CPU usage is never over 30%, usually 20-25%.

According to the game, I'm always GPU-bound and never CPU-bound on Indar. On Amerish and Esamir, I'm a mix of GPU-bound and CPU-bound, same as before PU1. There is no performance difference between the continents, it all stinks.

It's doing this even at the Warp Gate. 60-55-60-50-55-45-55-60...

Turned off SLI and spikes are still there but overall FPS is even lower.

I simply can't play like this. This is the worst the game has felt for me since I started playing. It wasn't anywhere near this bad even when SLI was broken in August. I can see that SOE greatly dumbed down the UI, but where is the promised performance?

I also see a bunch of random bugs. My VS Heavy Assault weapon will glitch (rubberbanding in the gun model animation) when coming out of the sights and sometimes when I get killed, the picture of my killer has no head (!).

I'm still using the exact same settings I used pre-patch:

[IMG]

Difference is, I used to get consistent FPS. 30 FPS in Zergs, 30-40 FPS in medium fights, 40-50 FPS in small fights, 60 FPS when travelling, 60-90 FPS at the Warp Gate. It was low but very playable. Now it's just completely unplayable.

On a happier note, all crashing is gone. YAY! But it doesn't dampen my disappointment with how terrible performance turned out to be. I was expecting miracles but got disaster. I'm gonna go cry in my little corner now. :(
  2. Gerno

Try putting everything to low and checking your performance then. I know you said you have the same settings as before, but you have a fairly weak GPU, so it might be helpful just to lower your settings. You should also try checking your GPU/CPU temperatures in game with some hardware monitoring tools. You're on a laptop, so heat being an issue wouldn't surprise me.
  3. Octiceps

It's the game's fault, not my system's! Nothing else has changed from the last time I played, when the game ran way better. That puts the blame squarely on the update.

And what's the point of running Low and getting over 100 FPS at the Warp Gate? I don't need that. I still get crazy FPS fluctuations and it still drops to 30 FPS in Zergs.

I wasn't overheating before and I'm not overheating now. I've got RTSS OSD running so CPU/GPU metrics and FPS are just a key press away at all times. I barely exceed 70C on either component.

And BTW my laptop GPU is not that weak. I'm running a hefty overclock on it and it's about as fast as a desktop GTX 650 Ti Boost. In other words, more than enough to run PS2 beautifully at these settings, IF the game would work properly for once. And if it was so weak, why doesn't the game use more than 60% of it to get me more than 30 FPS? And the game calls this GPU-bound?!? My a**. I got better performance when the game said it was CPU-bound. What a joke.
  4. randallt3mpd

I have a similar laptop, except MSI brand. I dont have SLI, just one 660M.

I am getting the same problems. Pre-patch performance was consistent, but slightly lower fps. After the patch I have 5-15 higher frames on average, but It spikes and stutters alot more, and 40fps now feels as slow as 20fps did pre-patch.

I have tried updating my video drivers, deleting and reaquiring config file, and messing with video settings with no luck. (I already play on low settings with 90% render quality.

I will try to reinstall the game and see if that helps
  5. Thybountyhunter

I am having a similar problem.

I was playing before in August with a gts 450. It was half and half between low and medium quality on the right side, and half for render quality, distance. No problems running about 25 fps top out at 35 dropped to low 15 depending on what is happening.

Now I got a gtx 560, I have everything set to low, Render distance and quality to nothing and most I get 10 FPS as well first getting into the game takes 4 minutes longer while it loads the video even after the bar gets to 100%.

I understand that my card is not the greatest nor is the OP's however, logic shows that if the game is running one way then the game is changed and the game now does not run the same with the same card and set up, the problem lies in what was changed not what wasn't changed.
  6. Alexlightning7

I have a laptop similar in power, but mostly different components.
    i5 and an amd 7690m XT overclocked. Game runs INCREDIBLY now. I love it.

Alot of people said the game ran better in huge fights for the 1 day between the PU1 and the PU1 hotfix, which multiple people have said made the game worse. That said, Its not a massive difference. So far though, it does seem to me that the people saying the hotfix or patch broke fps seem to all be using Nvidia cards.

Im not saying that that is the cause. Theres only been maybe, 10-15 people ive read about and seen their specs. so far, I havent seen anyone with an amd gpu posting in those threads.

Im not saying its only affecting Nvidia right now, im just saying that from my short and un-scientific study, Nvidia card owners are the majority posting these things.

Any amd users are welcome to come into this and prove me wrong.